Author Topic: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!  (Read 39987 times)

Offline Marcruger

Re: Blunderbuss #4, Recent Progress
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
Great photos Dave! 

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
 1 know there's something wrong with that gun.   I just can't find it yet.  That gun is the kind of stuff that gives me an inferiority complex.
 Gotta be something wrong with it somewhere.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
Don't blame you for using a zinc ball, Dave- lead would deplete the supply too quickly not to mention, but I will, kick more.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
Daryl,
I also fire one inch ball bearings (really armor piercing). If you can find them you can shoot them over and over again !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
Daryl,
I also fire one-inch ball bearings (really armor piercing). If you can find them you can shoot them over and over again!

Add a few half-inch ball bearings and you'd have a heck of a "buck and ball" load!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 12:05:01 AM »
Tim,

I don't know about others but I shoot mine whenever I get a chance.   I shoot it with a "handful" of powder, a wad of paper towel, a "handful" of shot (any size will do), and another paper towel over-shot wad.  I also shoot what I call an AP round (Armor Piercing...not really, but it does have a $#*! of a lot of mass in the projectile).  It is a 1 inch diameter zinc round ball, patched, and with about 200 grains of Fg behind it.  Packs a wallop....on both ends....and it also helps to bite down on a piece of leather belt to keep from jarring any teeth loose or leaving a lot of teeth and eyeballs behind because of the recoil.  You can load a 4 gage up or down as you see fit.  I enjoy shooting mine with 200 grain loads.

The gun is a "blast" to shoot, if you will pardon the pun.

Dave C

I'll bet it is, if I had one I would have to shoot it. Would be fun to use it like a Mortar with a ball, set it up with a Tri-pod, fire a couple for range, then effect. 

Tim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:05 AM »
Daryl,
I also fire one inch ball bearings (really armor piercing). If you can find them you can shoot them over and over again !

LMAO!

Tim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 02:44:17 AM »
Patches too!!!! :) 
LOL- use em again!
Brought to mind that we (TAYLOR) had some 3" cast iron balls from a gold mill we used to shoot from his 3" cannon, at "The Big Chief"- might have been "The Little Chief" mountain face of almost straight-up granite face - about 300yards from the firing line - the Squamish R&G Club range. The balls were supersonic or close to it, invisible, but would make about a 12' diameter explosion of rock dust on impact.  Seems to me, we only used about 1/4 pound of powder, too (1,750gr.).  After 4 or 5 shots, we'd go out to the base of the rock face, find and pick up the balls, dig the rock chips out of them and shoot 'em again. Lots of fun. Can't afford that these days.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:50:24 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 03:18:11 AM »
The field gun of which Daryl speaks was lots of fun to shoot, but as he says, four shots to the pound.  I traded it for a good violin.  The balls for the gun came from a gold mine up near Black Tusk in southern British Columbia.  At the time I was in the RCMP, and visited the mine by chance one day.  I saw a pile of iron balls, asked what they were for, and was told that once the balls ground down to less than 3" they were discarded.  They said take as many as you want.  So I loaded up the trunk of old 749:  think it was a 1975 Dodge, and brought them home.  The steering was very light on the home-bound trip.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 03:54:08 AM »
Speaking of 1" bores:  Daryl refers to this gun in another thread.  Back in the late seventies, I was commissioned to make an underhammer gun out of the clients barrel.  It was about 55" long, had a 1" smooth bore, was 3" AF octagonal, and it seems to me weighed 64 pounds.  I draw-filed and browned it...never again.  The butt plate was a schuetzen style brass casting that weighed 6 pounds all by itself.  It had a large rifle primer ignition.  We didn't have a mould so I ground a cutter out of a spade drill and bored cavities in a pair of maple blocks to cast the balls. Got one ball per cavity - once.  We shot it only one occasion at the club by resting it on a blanket on a concrete bench.  The load as Daryl says, was a patched lead ball and 300 gr. of Black Powder - don't recall the grain size.  Our target was a manila folder opened up and set on the berm at 300 yards.  I had installed a lollipop tang sight and an aperture front sight, so the potential for accuracy was there, and we were surprised at how well the gun shot.  Recoil was uncontrollable.  Sitting on a stump for a seat, upon firing, the gun would push you off the stump, but there was no pain...just a long gentle push.
Now, a 1" ball in an 8 pound BB in front of 200 gr. of powder...that's a different story.   Fabulous work on the BB Dave.  Love your signature engraving.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15:50 AM »
Taylor and Daryl,

I started another thread on making a mold like you did with maple.....but I made mine out of graphite and you can cast all the round shot you want with it....

Dave C
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:33:34 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
Well, without too much trouble, another year has gone by filled with the loss of my Dad and a lot of aerospace contract work.  I had to stop for most of 2018 on this commission for Andrei.  He and I spoke on the phone the other day and he has been really busy in medical school...and really understanding about the delays, but I promised I would get this project done for him in the next couple of months.  So I will be picking up this thread again so he can keep up with the progress.  I know this type of muzzle loader is not the primary topic of this site, but I hope following along on the details of the fabrication is of some interest to some here as well as being applicable to building long rifles. 

I have been polishing up brass parts in preparation for engraving and will post some pictures in the next day or so.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Hi Dave,
I am sorry to hear that your Dad died.  It seems he was an important mentor for you and a lot of his talent lives on.

Dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline ScottH

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »
Sincere condolences Dave

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Sorry to hear of your dad's death, I am sure it leaves a hole in your heart.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 03:10:11 AM »
Dave - so sad to here you lost your Dad. Relish the memories as we all must, sooner or later.
Best wishes for you & those you hold dear.
Daryl

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, Dave.  My Dad has been gone for ten years and I still miss him.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
 Dave, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine left here in '91 but there are many times I feel his presence in the shop, especially when something challenging goes well and turns out easier than I thought.
 Look forward to the continuation of the build.

Tim

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 02:26:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind notes.  My Dad was born in Brooklyn in 1926, was almost 92, and he passed away in his own home with my Mom and all of his adult children and grandchildren there with him....an unusual event in the modern world.  He was still working right up to the last two weeks of his life and he was funny and joking right up to the very end.  In fact, my eldest daughter was sitting with him one evening in the living room and I mentioned that I had been up with him since 4:30 in the morning.  I said to all gathered there that Dad was still getting up early in the morning just as he had for the past ninety years.  And then my daughter started to laugh and said, "But we always know what you say about getting up early."  He laughed and asked her to tell everyone what he always said......She quoted him, "All is right by God's world early in the morning..."  Then there would be a long pause as he had a sip of his coffee and he would conclude by saying......."until all the idiots get up !"

Dad was a World War two Navy veteran.  He was a radioman and gunner in PBYs and torpedo planes and stationed aboard the USS Lexington*.  He and my Mom were married for 65 years.  She is 93 and still living in their home...and she is doing surprising well although she misses him terribly.  I told her not to worry very much.  In a twinkling of God's eye, all of us....her, children, and grandchildren.... will be on his side of the Jordan and he will be waiting for us with those twinkling eyes, a big smile....and a wise crack or two.

* He was stationed aboard the second Lex....the first was sunk at the battle of the Coral Sea early in the war.  It was his first and only ship but, as it turned out, it was also my first ship when I was assigned to it in 1973 as a Naval Academy midshipman.   :)

I'll get some pictures of the progress on the blunderbuss out here in the next day or so, but, again, thank you all for your thoughtful comments.

Dave C

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:14:10 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 05:06:04 AM »
Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your Dad and his life, clearly one of The Greatest Generation! Very sorry for your loss.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »
My condolences, Dave.  Wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I know you and your family will cherish these great memories all of your lives.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:08 PM »
My deepest condolences. Good to hear he was of Clear mind to the end.

Rolf

• Member 3
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »
Dave, the best we can do after losing our dad is to revel in the lessons he taught us, and carry on carrying on.  I miss mine terribly, but am surrounded by pieces of his shop now in mine, and I think of him every day.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 09:42:46 PM »
Dave,
         Sorry about your Dad, god bless.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln