Author Topic: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!  (Read 39884 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Blunderbuss #4, Recent Progress
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:55 AM »
Sorry to hear of your father's passing Dave. I look forward to seeing the completed piece as I do always with your meticulous work.
You are right on the money with your comments on the family reunion!
Best
James

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:05 AM »
That thing looks like darn hand held CANNON. Looks beautiful I love the barrel.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 04:58:01 AM »
I am sorry for your loss, Dave. I am praying for you and your family.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:13 AM »
  I'm really sorry to hear about your dad Dave. I know he was a great man and a great father. I am most sorry for your mother. I know how she will miss him because of the way my mom was after dad died.  God bless and comfort you and your family.  Your Friend Jerry Huddleston.  John 11:26
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
Again.....thank you all for the kind replies and prayers.  And Jerry....yes....John 11:26  :)

"Memento, Homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"

Now to catch up a little on the blunderbuss........

I forgot to take a picture of the raw casting of the trigger guard before I started in on cleaning it up, but this is a similar guard that has the same starting condition as the one I am using.  I did some clean up with files, but most of the guard was scraped with a utility knife blade and then finished to about 400 grit.  It is ready to engrave now.

I did take a before and after on the forward ram rod pipe.  The two pipes were finished / cleaned up the same way as the trigger guard and are ready to engrave.

Inletting of all the lock internals is complete.....

The frizzen has been annealed in preparation for engraving and the rest of the lock finished to the surface I want as well.  Engraving is next.

Side plate ready for engraving except for drilling the lock bolt holes.  I will do that first before I start in on the engraving.

And last, I thought I would take a "before" picture of the trigger.....more on that next time.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 11:39:11 PM »
You are a wizard with scrapers and paper.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 05:19:55 AM »
😳 You are a wizard with scrapers & paper!  I can’t wait to see the engraving!!  Really nice, clean work, Dave.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2019, 10:33:15 PM »
Ok....I restarted this thread with the very best of intentions to start right in with the work.  No sooner had I gathered all my tools and parts and work interfered yet again.  But right after the police chase / car wreck yesterday (another story), I did get started on the side plate.  Here the side plate is superglued to a block for drilling and counter boring.  (I had to stop long enough before hand to make the correct size pilot for the counter bore.)

With the side plate machining done, I located and drilled through the stock for the front lock bolt and then established the rear lock bolt location and drilled that.  The web between the ram rod hole and bottom of the barrel channel is very thin, so I had to put a groove across the bottom barrel flat to let the front bolt pass.  And, of course, I had to drill a clearance hole through the bolster on the breech plug.

With the bolt holes drilled through the stock and lock plate, I tapped the lock plate holes through the stock with a long "pulley" tap.  Using some 8-32 temporary screws, the side plate was held down tight to the stock to start the inletting process.  I cut around the profile with a pointed carving knife and then started to remove the background wood about 1/2 the thickness of the side plate.

To do the final seating, I blackened the side plate with a kerosene lamp (much faster than a candle) and made the final adjustments on the fit.

The completed side plate installation.

So on to the trigger, trigger guard, and ram rod pipes.  Once I have all the parts in place, I will start the engraving.  More to follow (assuming I survive the next police chase / car wreck !!!)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:02 PM »
Your incredible skill is on display yet again Dave.  Thank you for sharing it all with us to enjoy along the way to completion.  You make it look so easy.   :-)   

Yes, in John 11:26 there is a whole like to hang on to in that short verse.  Well noted. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

PS, I hope the car accident wasn't yours. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:56 PM »
By the way, the Gunner's Mate you made me is still handy and a delight.  :-)  Two thumbs up. 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
Had some time to start the engraving of parts.  Started with the side plate.  First photo is of the plate superglued to a block and painted with Dykem.

Next one is some of my sketching with a stylus and just getting a feel for where I want things to go

Third photo shows the first outlining cuts

Fourth photo is the completed boarders and some shading

This one is of the finished side plate

And then I put the side plate in the stock inlet just to see how it is going to look

Working on the trigger next.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »
That is gorgeous work, Dave.  I hope to do work that good some day.  What are you using for tools for actual engraving?

Matt

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »
Superior work as always.
I use Dykem quite a bit but have NEVER considered it with engraving layout. I believe this might help my ever progressing  bad eyesight both in the layout and execution. I need help in both areas ; ) ! I've got to try it! Thanks for showing that Dave!

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
Very nicely done Sir.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »
The picture thrid up from the bottom shows quite "striking" against the Dykem- almost said Prussian Blue, but this appears darker and not as thin.
Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »
Thanks for the kind words:

M.E.....I use a 35 year old Gravermeister for most of what I do.  Sometimes just a push graver and sometimes a longer graver and a hammer.

James....I use a lot of different methods of getting a design on the surface of the work piece, but I can clearly sketch a free hand design into the Dykem so lightly that I can polish any stray marks I might have changed my mind about with the white 3M Scotchbrite or even a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser after the engraving is done.

Daryl....yes, I like the blue / bright brass contrast as well...but I always take the blue off with lacquer thinner...just wouldn't look right on the gun ... :o
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
This has been a great follow along, inspiring,educational, and entertaining. Thanks Dave for taking the time to document your build for the rest of us.  :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
Dave:  as always, it is such fun to follow your build.  Regarding the trigger, if I may;  if it were mine, I would remove the trigger from the plate and pin it high - level with the sear screw, and not use the boss cast into the trigger plate.  That will go a long way to making the trigger pull sweet.  Use the trigger plate, but not the boss.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
I am blown away, by the polish on that lock. WOW!
Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Taylor,

I was working on the trigger some before you posted your suggestion.  I will rework it now based on your comments......but I had to stop for a bit to make myself a gold crown.  Had a posterior tooth go bad and had a root canal.  Had a dentist do the prep and give me the impressions.  I went home, poured the models, articulated them, carved the crown in wax and then cast it in dental gold (18 K).  A little polishing and I went back to the dentist the next day and he cemented it in for me.

My Dad taught me how to carve and cast a gold crown when I was 8.........i have fond memories of his hands working as I watched.....

Now with that little chore out of the way.....back to the blunderbuss...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:57:12 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »
I did have some time while making the crown to do a little more on the trigger and engraving on the lock for the blunderbuss:

But now, I need to do a little more "Taylor-ing" on the trigger...
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »
Dave, great post about the crown, and especially how it tied in with your Dad.  I have a bunch of my Dads hand tools that I use daily, and can relate to the fond memories.

The engraving ain’t too shabby either!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
Dave, I didn't see any engraving on the gold crown.... :) - Wonderful work and it is a pleasure to follow along....

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
This is going to be a high end Blunderbuss, Dave!

Very nice work, so neat and beautifully executed.

Altogether lovely.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2019, 06:06:13 AM »
Had not had a lot of time but did manage to draw file and further finish the barrel steel in preparation for additional engraving.  Not sure how Andrei wants the barrel finished (bright, browned, ???)  Need to check in with him.  Also managed to start the inletting of the two ram rod pipes.  Will finish the lock engraving next, then the barrel and the rest of the brass parts.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780