Author Topic: Stocking bench question  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Stocking bench question
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »
I am seriously considering cutting down my gun stocking bench so that I can work sitting down on a short stool.   I am thinking of putting the work at 36". The bench top would be a 28".   How does this compare to those of you who work sitting.   I know there are a few of you.

Offline elkhorne

Re: Stocking bench question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
Mark,
You are studying the same issue I have been lately. Seeing David Rase's new benches that were pictured under the recent "Sturdy free standing workbench on 14 Nov 16, his bench is probably just what you are looking for. I have been trying to figure out how to make a bench like Davids. I figure 48 inches is just about right for length but have also been in a quandary over how to do it. Combine your figures with David's design and I think you might have a bench that will accommodate our back issues. thanks for bringing this topic up.
elkhorne

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
I am seriously considering cutting down my gun stocking bench so that I can work sitting down on a short stool.   I am thinking of putting the work at 36". The bench top would be a 28".   How does this compare to those of you who work sitting.   I know there are a few of you.
I will on occasion relief carve sitting on a very tall stool. I'm guessing you're wanting to sit because of your back. I suffer from back pain as well but have found relief with a back brace and trips to the Chiropractor. I find when sitting I don't have the power needed for many jobs, but for some stuff it works fine.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
Mark; my work bench top is 34" above the floor, there is a 1/2" rubber pad in front of it. The bench is nothing fancy, an el cheapo but heavy reinforced. My stool is 23.5" tall. I spend a great deal of my time sitting at the bench, this arrangement is comfortable to me. When sitting becomes tiring I can clamp in my alternate vice and work standing, that rubber pad is a back saver.

dave
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:44:55 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »
There are a lot of "ergo" adjustable height work benches out there in the market now days.  Unfortunately, they are a bit pricey, $650.00 and up, for a lot of us.  If you have a documented medical problem you might be able to get your insurance company to help pay for one.  Having one bench in the shop that you can adjust the height to during the day as your body tires or switching height for different operations might be a god option vs. having several benches of different height taking up space.

Since we all like to build things, check out the below 2 links.

Here is the "get r done" version of an adjustable height set of legs.   

If the above set of legs is too "schimmel like" for you, then you can always step up too this bench:  ;D   http://www.jack-bench.com/jack-bench-videos/

David

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »
I gotta build that Jack Bench. Wow.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses thus far.   I should probably explain a little of my situation.   Although, I do have some problems with my back,  my biggest problem is with my legs and feet.  You see an illness left me with spinal cord damage that limits my strength from my waist down.   I also have severe neuropathy in my feet.   The bottom line is that I can't stand or walk very long.   Being able to work sitting extends the amount of time I can work.   

I do see where sitting limits my leverage for some activities.   Right now,  I pop up and down between standing and a tall stool.   The bottom line is that I spend most of my time on my feet working,  when stocking, and that limits me to a couple hours a day.    When I am making, filing, and polishing mounts,  I can do that sitting, and do it for several hours a day.   Things really slow down when I have to put the whole thing together.   

I really would like to have an adjustable height bench.    I will have to look into the adjustable bench designs.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
 Mark.
  I also have spinal cord damage and have basically gone through what you are experiencing now.  I finally ended up putting a stand alone vise in the middle of the floor.  The reason is this. When working on a gun it is not practical to have the gun at the same height at all times. There are times when you need to move around the gun especially when carving or doing wire work. Therefore I ended up having not only a vise tha twas adjustable for height but a stool that was also. Now I have total versatility.  No matter what you do there will be times when you have to stand and work. I forget when showing this that most people probably don't have the equipment to make one.
http://jwh-flintlocks.net/post-rest.jpg
http://jwh-flintlocks.net/post-adjustments.jpg
http://jwh-flintlocks.net/post-padded-jaws.jpg
http://jwh-flintlocks.net/post-vise.jpg
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:19:29 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 02:25:20 AM »
Mark,
I've posted this picture before. My stocking bench is a walk around and with the adjustable height seat it works either sitting or standing. I tried putting casters on the seat but I spent too much time trying to stay planted when doing heavy rasp work while seated.
The bench is sturdy solid and inexpensive (reject stock wood). Lighting on a walk around is a set of interesting challenges.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:29 AM »
Kevin,

What is the height to your work on your walk around bench?

Mark

Offline James

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:31 AM »
I'm sorry you folks have similar difficulties, but I like seeing how you all handle it.  I have a lower (never measured the height) purchased woodworker's bench that I can sit at for filing and fabricating etc... when I can't tolerate standing.  I mounted a Wilton baby bullet vise to a Power-arm and bolted it to a white oak board and I clamp that to the short bench to do the filing and what I'm calling engraving (it isn't, but that's what I'm calling it)   I clamp the stock to the short bench and sit to carve.  I have a bench a little taller I made with a 4" red oak top so it stays where it's put that has a versa-vise(?) at one end.  Then I made a  tall red oak bench with a 4 1/2" Wilton (with brass or padded jaws as needed) mounted at one end and I mount a pattern maker's vise in the middle when needed.  I can use the tall bench for barrel inletting by putting the pattern maker's on and soft jaws in the Wilton and I clamp the blank in both vises and it is high enough I am able to stand a little longer than I ever could when I just had the short bench.  I can put the brass pads in the large Wilton and do the barrel work at a height I can tolerate for brief periods.  Between the 3 I am getting a little done.    
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:26:14 AM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 05:33:04 AM »

What is the height to your work on your walk around bench?

I'll measure and let you know
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:04 AM »
Mark,
To the top of the plank 31" to the top of the supports (center of the pattern-makers vice) +8".

39" is almost to low for standing work, I am 6' 1" so when standing I have a half bend for detail work and a good aggressive stance for standing rasp or planing work.

The Craftsman stool at its lowest is around 29" so knee room is a challenge.

Kevin

toddsndrsn

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »
Figure out what feels comfortable.  I think you need to start from the stool.  Ideally your stool height would allow your thighs to be parallel to the floor assuming you want your feet planted on the floor, my interpretation of a short stool.  Once have your stool height figured out then measure from the floor to your elbow while sitting on the stool.  I'd consider this the maximum height of your work piece, maybe a little higher or a little lower depending on the tasks at hand.  You can work from there down to determine your bench height.  This should put you in your neutral work zones while sitting.  It doesn't help much if you are wanting to make this a standing/sitting bench because this would put your work too low or you can use a higher stool and raise the height of the bench.

54ball

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
 Mark this is just a thought....

In a corner of your shop build a sturdy L shaped bench to sit on along the wall and corner. Move your work bench to that corner. Have the sitting bench at the right height so when you relax your legs, your on the bench. Being an L shape bench mounted against the wall, you can work from one end of your work bench and down one side. Also there is no stool to constantly move and being on the wall there is nothing to trip over.

pushboater

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »
A person could build that adjustable Jack bench a little more narrow and use it as a walk around! Great idea!

David

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 07:17:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replys.   I have decided to cut my bench down 8" so that the bench top is at 28" and the rests are at 36".     I spent the evening clearing it off to take it down and cut off the legs tomorrow.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
Mark, let's know how it turns out for you. I've had back surgery and I have a work horse I do all the in letting on but when it comes to removing wood from a blank I stand at a more solid work bench and vice.... Al
Alan K. Merrill