Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 13649 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Deleted
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:30:09 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline bgf

Re: 8 foot long barrel!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
Chunk was going with longer barrels for a while, though the longest _one_ I see at most matches is 6ft. I think. 4+ is pretty common.  Chunk is about the only competition I can think of where 8 foot barrel would even seem to be useful...

I'm guessing it was made and used only a little, as most people would need a 4 ft or taller step ladder to load it or load it sideways???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:22:12 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »
I'd guess his shooting check list must look like this.

Long gun; CHECK
Tripod; CHECK
Loading supplies; CHECK
Shovel for digging a 3' deep hole; CHECK

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
I wonder if it had a bayonet lug…  :P
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
I'd love to see it in person.  Heck, I'd love to fire it!
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 04:25:40 AM »
"...the owner used three different powders in it in a sequenced loading process."

This is getting interesting...

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:33:57 PM »
A number of years ago I had a chance to handle a flint fowler/ trade gun with an 84" barrel. It was being called a "trade room" gun by the museum director who kept it in the vault. Supposedly had been hanging on the back wall of a treading post to encourage sales when it was collected.
There was a barrel band that made me assume a two piece stock and barrel... don't know for sure.
I never got pictures or exact measurements, I guess I'll have to get back there and see it again.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 01:43:28 AM »
So, not a Rayl barrel?  I doubt Charlie Bowers made barrel, maybe the rifle.  Is he the name on those unspeakable things?  That is his speciality, and they're nice.

The number of people who could make that barrel is low :).  One thought was maybe Wayne Jenkins made it, but I believe his limit was close to what Rayl said.  Paul Griffith, maybe?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 05:06:47 AM »
...S.R.  ....Helluva long rifle.....Sorry I missed you @ the CW show last Sunday.....See you at the Bama show at Wheeler in January...!!! :o :o

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 06:42:07 AM »
Maybe Jim Chambers could recollect Charlie Bowers in the western part of our state. I keep tabs on the gunmakers in central and eastern NC, and the name does not ring a bell. The only feller I know who could make any barrel is John Braxton from Alamance County. He might know Mr Bowers, but I expect Jim would know if he reads this.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 06:44:29 PM »
Don Getz had made a few longer barrels that were threaded at the wedding band. It was almost impossible to see the joint inside or out. .62 fowlers oct to round.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Wasn't Ben Coogle noted for making long barrels?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:21 PM »
The long one could also be a barrel from the "revival" period, where it was not uncommon to buttweld two old barrel together to get a longer barrel, sight radius, etc.

Charlie Bowers is very much alive last time I saw him.  He makes the benchmark (censored) action that many chunk shooters use.  I can probably find you contact info if you can't find it otherwise. 

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.  I would love to see the banned ones also, as they sound like top flight chunk guns, even with those "short" barrels, but alas, it cannot be :).

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:43 AM »
Maybe Jim Chambers could recollect Charlie Bowers in the western part of our state. I keep tabs on the gunmakers in central and eastern NC, and the name does not ring a bell. The only feller I know who could make any barrel is John Braxton from Alamance County. He might know Mr Bowers, but I expect Jim would know if he reads this.

Sounds like something John would do and he was/is into chunk guns. I saw him a couple years ago and he wasn't doing anything then so I don't know. John did have the capability.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Wasn't Ben Coogle noted for making long barrels?
Coogle would go 72" but no rifling.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »

My son standing next to the 8 ft 2 in rifle that we picked up today. Discovered today that Bobby Hoyt did the barrel rifling. My son is 5' 10".
You are going to have to build him a loading stool :)
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bgf

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 01:26:30 AM »
How many of us do you think could even see the front sight :)?!

Offline okawbow

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 01:42:54 AM »
Id love to show up at the York shoot with that rifle, but I wouldn't like the jokes about what I'm trying to compensate for"....

Makes my 54" barreled chunk gun seem short.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

ghost

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
Hey it's a close range squirrel gun! Really cool! Any more pictures? Thanks, ghost

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
  "I figure I can wrap them in bubble wrap and hang them out the back of my truck with a red flag"

"Hill Billies" 
Even the truck isn't big enough!!!!

Just kidding!
Great looking gun!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
I'll bet that thing is real heavy.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
The wood looks like oak to me.  And the bore is .47?  Holy cow, what is the barrel OD?  I'm guessing 1 1/4" +.  WOW!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »
Was told it weighs 38 lbs., but haven't handled it personally.  I'll probably get it this weekend.
I built a wall gun years ago that weighed 38lbs. It had a 1" bore with a 60" barrel.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
ouch!!!!
who pulled the trigger on that one????

ghost

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!!!