Author Topic: Maker M Martin  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Maker M Martin
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
Can anyone share information on this maker or direct me to where I might find it
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Maker M Martin
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
How about Michael Martin , Lancaster Pennsylvania?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Yes, I believe that's him.  Is anything published about him? I looked around my reference material and couldn't find anything.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:36:59 PM »
Page 296 in Kauffman's ,The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle . Not much info but a picture.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:36 AM »
Thanks. I understand not much is known but I see a rifle that shows some talent

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:06:48 AM »
You are welcome. There is a M Martin rifle pictured  second one down on Plate 50 , just after page 36 in the first edition of Dillin's,   The Kentucky Rifle. It is not the same rifle as pictured in Kauffman's book.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:16:59 AM »
Whiskers has a good bit of information on  Mr. Martin in "Arms Makers Of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania". One picture ,flintlock ,carved, Lancaster style box and checkered wrist.. He was born in 1782 died in 1855. The first year he was taxed as a gunsmith was 1820. The last year he was taxed was 1853. JIM
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:28 PM »
Appreciate the info.  There is a decent example of his work for sale.  Peaked my interest.