Author Topic: Loading slightly oversized PRB  (Read 1712 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Loading slightly oversized PRB
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
I have decided to get the mid-1800's rifle ready for a trip to the range.  (http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36669.msg352890#msg352890)

A Hornady .490 ball will just barely not enter into the bore by gravity.  It sits there right about half in, half out. I think the lands are probably around .485" as I think one moderate whack on a short starter would start the ball without a patch.  However, with even a very thin patch, I'm wondering how hard it will be to load.  It would certainly engage the rifling firmly!

Or should I order some .480 Hornady from TOTW?   
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daryl

Re: Loading slightly oversized PRB
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »
.47 or .48 calibre rifles were somewhat common - back then. Since it is an original rifle with a somewhat less than perfect  bore - I'd go with a slightly undersized ball if I could find a mould.

I would attempt to find a .475" to .480 mould.  If you can get .480" from Track that would be the easiest direction to follow for balls.

I would also smooth up the crown a bit- with the end of my thumb & paper or emery - it looks almost usable as-is, just needs some smoothing, evening up.

I would use 8 to 10 ounce (not thousands of an inch) denim - or a heavy ticking running at least .020"., preferably a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:57:57 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V