Author Topic: John Sites, John Peter Sites Sr. and Peter Sites Virginia makers  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Molly

John Sites, John Peter Sites Sr. and Peter Sites Virginia makers
« on: December 11, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »
In Whisker's book "Gunsmiths of Virginia" (second edition) he identifies John Peter Sites Sr. and Peter Sites on page 68.

On page 148 he shows a rifle made by "John Peter Sites, Sr." (1784 - 1853 Fincastle County)

On page 186 he shows a pair of rifles.  One by John Painter, Botetourt County and a second by "John Sites", Fincastle County. (Fincastle County existed as such from 1772 to 1777.  At which time it was divided into Montgomery County, Washington County and "Kentucky".)  Copy from the first book noted above also give evidence of an ad placed in "The Herald of the Valley" 30 Oct 1820 concerning a run away apprentice in which the return of the apprentice is to be to (Sites) at "Fincastle". This certainly suggests that John Peter Sites Sr was still working in Virginia near the current town of Fincastle  in 1820 which is where Painter worked.

The big question to me is was the maker of the rifle shown on page 148 the same as the maker of the rifle shown on page 186.  My take on the books claims would be yes.

The similarity of the Painter rifle with the "Sites" rifle on page 186 is striking but the Sites rifle on page 186 differs substantially from the "Sites" rifle on page 148.

In Whiskers paperback "Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Virginia" he adds that John Peter Site Sr. "was working in Missouri by 1853" yet the date of his departure from "Fincastle County" is not known, however I would conclude it was after 1820.  With the rifle attributed to John Peter Sites. Sr on 148 being a flintlock one might feel it was made earlier than the 1840's or 1850's.

The only info on "John Painter" is one John Painter, Jr. born in 1814.  Clearly not a contemporary of John Sites, Sr.  SO....

Was there another John Painter or possible John Painter Sr.  who would be the true make of the rifle on page 186?  OR is there an unidentified "John Sites" in the mix?

Of the two original signed John Sites rifles I have personally seen, there is no similarity to the rifle on page 148 but both are almost identical to the one on page 186.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:00:22 AM by Molly »

Offline Molly

Re: John Sites, John Peter Sites Sr. and Peter Sites Virginia makers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
Confusing, even to me so maybe the simple question is would a maker change their style so much as reflected by the difference in rifles from the "Sites" on page 148 and the "Sites" on 186?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Peter White did. He went from Maryland  to Bedford to Union county if I remember right. His style changed each time . Is this the same Sites that moved to Missouri? If so that could explain the style change. Give the customer  what they want.  I haven't looked at the book but another option is one might be a restock by another maker. Just throwing that out there.
Oh, one other thing . There are mistakes made maybe they are two different makers. I'll take a look later this evening if I can find the book. Even after seeing the pictures My opinion probably won't count for much though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:07:03 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:40:03 PM »
jdm:

Please do give me your views.  Sites is of special interest to me.  The notion that he changed styles when he went to MO is definitely a possibility and stands as the most likely answer.

And if he was in Fincastle in 1820 when the ad in the paper was taken out and if John Painter were born in 1814 as the book says then Painter was making rifles AFTER Sites left the area (Botetourt County, VA).  So Painter patterned his style after the Sites works made in Fincastle.  I think the book claims that Sites "resurfaces" in Mo. in 1835, so the lost years seem to be say 1821 to 1834.

If both rifles WERE made by John Sites it sure is a radical change of style and in my mind it cracks the logic of an unsigned rifle being "attributed" to a specific maker.  But I'm also wondering if there were yet another John Sites in the Fincastle area during the same general time frame.  Absolutely no evidence of that however.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »
I can't be of to much help. My Virginia book  by Whisker ends  at page 158. I've got the first edition.
In Vic Pauls book " Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900 "he has John P. Sites working in Fincastle to 1833 then starting in Mo. in 1834. His son John Jr. worked in Missouri also . Both used the same type stamp with only there last name. No junior or Sr.
JIM

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:28:26 AM »
Maybe I'm trying to solve a puzzle that does not exist.  But I was still thinking there might be an unknown "J. Sites" who was not John Sr. nor John Jr.

Will probably never know.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
A friend of mine owns the Painter rifle on Pg 60 of Whisker's book. My copy ends on Pg 143.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »
I have three of Whiskers book on VA makers and all photos begin much further back in the book.  Quite honestly, there is little content difference between all three.  So, can you identify the edition please.

More importantly, might the Painter rifle be for sale? 

Painter rifles I have seen are not highly decorated.  Have a typical "VA Style" patch box and no carving as I recall.  The most distinguishing feature is the drop and the tall comb.  Sound similar??

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 12:29:06 AM »
PM sent
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
Looks like it didn't work. I'll try later. Going duck huntin' right now.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
Nordnecker refers to the book on Virginia Long Rifles by Butler and Whisker, its teal blue in color or light blue depending on how old the copy is. Copywright is 1996 and I think it is the the second book.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Molly

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 04:37:57 AM »
Thanks.  Not familiar with it but I'll look for it. 

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 11:49:25 PM »
Just concluded a lengthy and most delicate transaction and the reward was a John Sites original signed on both the barrel AND the inside of the patch box.  Same last owner since 1982 and it was "not for sale".

Photos to follow maybe later today when I can stop shaking.

Originally flint with an old conversion and probably the original lock.  And probably the original ram rod.  The claim also was that the prior owner (prior to 1982) had it in his family since Moby Dick was a minnow.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »
Congratulations, Molly!  Many of us can identify with the post-chase shakes. Looking forward to pictures. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Molly

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 03:57:02 AM »
I'm going to put it up on a new thread.  Comments welcomed.