Author Topic: Does anyone wash and reuse cotton cleaning patches?  (Read 5046 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Does anyone wash and reuse cotton cleaning patches?
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »
Just curious.  I've been thinking about this for a while.  Seems a shame to throw cotton cleaning patches out once they're fouled.  Wonder if they can be put in a small mesh laundry bag and washed.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daryl

Re: Does anyone wash and reuse cotton cleaning patches?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
I leave the drying patches on the back steps and use them time and again for drying.  The car-port allows them to dry from shooting session to shooting session.

The cleaning "patch" (the wet one used for flushing water into and out of the barrel) gets thrown out as there is only one- it is also used for cleaning out the hammer cup of the cap locks, and for wiping off the fouling from the bolster.  The 4 drying patches are saved.  The 5th drying patch is used for oiling the bore and other metal, like the lock's outer surface. So=- yes- you can use them over and over until they wear out.

No- they do not need washing as they are not dirty - only used for drying.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

jimc2

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »
I did till I got caught putting them in the washer 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
Just curious.  I've been thinking about this for a while.  Seems a shame to throw cotton cleaning patches out once they're fouled.  Wonder if they can be put in a small mesh laundry bag and washed.

Yes, my wife washes mine for me.  That's how she does it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »
I have thought about it, because cotton flannel is so cheap (with a half off coupon from Joann's) and I can cut hundreds in 30 minutes with a fabric cutter wheel, I throw them in the trash.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:30 AM »
I use tow for the fouling, so the patches I use are just for drying and never get dirty. They last forever.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:22:21 AM »
I used military issue patches. Got about a million of them.
Psalms 144

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:15 AM »
Well, if one were fiscally inclined and conservation minded I'd say "why not".  Fact is I go through them by the droves.  But I guess I'm not driven to do that and never will be.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
Yes. The wife hasn't caught me yet.  I got a small mesh laundry bag off the net and thro it in w some jeans.  I wipe between shots, damp patch one trip in and out next shot I use the other side.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:35:24 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:53:57 AM »
Yes. I most certainly reuse my patches until they get holes in them and then they are trashed. I bummed a couple of old short nylons from my wife. I don't try to clean too many at a time or they won't get clean and just bunch up inside the nylon. I just put a moderate amount inside the nylon and tie a knot in it and into the washer it goes, then into the dryer.
I use large plastic coffee cans to separate the different sizes as the .54's are larger than the smaller caliber patch. I use one big can for all the dirty patches.
American horses of Arabian descent.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »
Sure do. I use old cotton T-shirts ripping them up into patches for cleaning. Soak them in a bucket of hot water and dishwashing liquid and reuse them until they get either filthy or have too many holes in them.

Offline EC121

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
I wash mine in a 5gal. bucket and spread them on the well house to dry in the sun.  I use whatever I can cut up for cleaning.  The cheaper made cotton materials decay and tear quicker after the first use, but all the material used seem to soak up the cleaner and dry better than the the new cloth with sizing on it.  Usually toss them after the second use.
      Lately I have been using a mixture of coconut oil and Track's mink oil.  It seems to clean up easier than others.  Soon as the rain moves out, I need to try the 20gr. cleaning load.

Brice Stultz

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
I did till I got caught putting them in the washer
;D  Now that was funny.   

I can see that playing out in many a laundry room... wife walks by and sees you putting a bag of them in the washer... "Whoa!  What is that?  What are you doing?  Please tell me you are NOT washing your greasy old patches in my washing machine!..."

I was even thinking of putting them in a bucket, squirt some Dawn detergent, fill with hot water, and wash them by hand.   Grab the whole mess, wring them out and lay them out to dry.   My concern is the washing/drying machines might fray them.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:43 PM »
I don't wash patches but usually lay clean ones to dry on my bench.  With lots of old  t-shirts and flannel baby blankets (from the thrift store) I've got plenty without reverting to my genetic frugality.  So a few patches do get reused from time to time as cleaners and oilers.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
My brother does but I throw them away - the cost of the fabric is cheap or if you have old cotton socks, T-ee shirts, underware -- use it ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb