Author Topic: Is this a E A Oppelt Rifle?  (Read 5138 times)

jimadavis1

Is this a E A Oppelt Rifle?
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:08:53 AM »
I bought this rifle about a year ago.   I would like to get it in condition to shoot but want to know more about it first.  It's hard to make out the name stamped on the top of the barrel but I think it might be E A OPPELT.   The bottom of the barrel is stamped "J, R, Reynolds".  I think he was the barrel maker.  The lock is stamped R&W C: Biddle & Co Philadelphia".  It looks to me like it might have been converted from flint.  Any information would be appreciated.  Also I would like to know of someone that can remove the breach plug and repair or replace the bolt that connects the breach plug to the tang.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Is this a E A Oppelt Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:25:36 AM »
Yes. Edwin A Oppelt. He worked in Clarion County Pennsylvania in the 1840s.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »
Agreed on Oppelt. Nice find. Where did you come across it?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »
Here's a link to another Oppelt rifle I posted last year. This one has the name on a brass plate on the barrel, so no doubt an upper end rifle from him.
John

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=35213.msg338130#msg338130
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
Can I see the signature John?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 01:41:37 AM »
Shreck, Look at the 6th picture down from the top. You can see and read the name on the brass plate, left side of the barrel picture.

Looks like the same stamp as the OP picture. But, the rifles are considerably different stylistically, making me wonder if one is a re-stock or if Oppelt changed his style for some reason. I have no clue either way as the one I posted is the only Oppelt rifle I've seen before.

John
John Robbins

jimadavis1

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 04:22:20 AM »
Avirc,
Thanks for the information on Edwin.  None of the books that I have list him as a gun maker.  I guess I need another book:-)

Jim

jimadavis1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 04:23:31 AM »
Shreckmeister
I bought the gun from a dealer at a show in Franklin Tn last December.  I just liked the way it looked and it seemed to be in pretty good condition.  It has some modern repairs on the forearm of the stock, that I need to redo and I need to reconnect the tang to the breach plug.  Other than that everything seems to be in good shape considering it's age. 

Jim

jimadavis1

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 04:32:10 AM »
John,
Thanks for posting the photos of your gun.  Your original post is what led me to this message board. I couldn't make out the name on the top of my barrel so I googled the barrel maker's name and your original post popped up with the name OPPELT.   It looks to me like your barrel is the deluxe edition for sure.  I noticed that your lock looks significantly different than mine but I guess it was common for the gunsmiths back in the day to use locks from various lock makers.

Jim

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »
Local family just inherited their great grandmother's Long rifle barrel marked E A Oppelt. Nicely engraved Patchbox. In fine condition.  Fullstock. I'll try to share photos later.
It seems to me he never used the same patchbox twice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:19:37 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:32 PM »

Birth

25 Feb 1820 • New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas, Ohio, USA

7 Sources 

(AGE)

Residence

1830 • Warwick, Tuscarawas, Ohio, USA

The census lists: 1 m under 5 [Sylvanus 1]; 2 m 5-9 [Francis 8, Sylvester 6]; 1 m 10-14 [Edwin 10]; 1 m 30-39 [Charles 30]; 1 f under 5 [Charlotte 4]; and 1 f 20-29 [Rachel 30].

1 Source 

Marriage

14 May 1850 • Venango County, Pennsylvania, USA

Mary Jane McKinney

(1822–1895)

Residence

26 Nov 1850 • Clay, Tuscarawas, Ohio, USA

The census lists: Edwin Oppelt 38, gunsmith, his wife Mary J. Oppelt 29. Edwin's real estate was valued at $1000. They were living next to his parents.

1 Source 

Residence

1 Jul 1863 • Warwick Township, Ohio, USA

Data from the U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, lists: Edwin A. Oppelt, 43 years of age, doctor, from Warwick Township, Ohio.

1 Source 

Residence

2 Jun 1870 • Loogootee, Martin, Indiana, USA

The census lists: Edwin A. Oppelt 50, physician, his wife Mary J. 48, children: Laura A. 15. and Frances I. 12. Edwin's real estate was valued at $4000; his personal estate at $1000.

1 Source 

Residence

10 Jun 1880 • Perry, Martin, Indiana, USA

The census lists: Edwin A. Oppelt 60, physician, his wife Mary J. 58, druggist, daughters: Louisa A. 25, music teacher, Francis I. 22, music teacher.

1 Source 

Wife's Death

3 Mar 1895 • Perry, Martin Indiana, USA

Dr. Edwin Allen Oppelt's wife of 45 years, Mary Jane (McKinney) Oppelt, died on this date.

Residence

4 Jun 1900 • Perry, Martin, Indiana, USA

The census lists: Edwin A. Oppelt 80, widowed physician, his daughter, [Francis] Imelda 47, single, music teacher.

1 Source 

View
Occupation

1900 • Indiana, USA

As per the "Directory of Deceased American Physicians," Dr. Oppelt was an "Allopathic Doctor," a medical doctor who treats disorders by using methods aimed at counteracting the problems, such as pharmaceutical drugs, radiation and surgery.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 03:14:50 AM »
Shreckmeister,
  Thanks for posting those pics...the buttplate on that Oppelt looks very similar to another maker from your area, as well as the box engraving style.
  Food for thought on who Oppelt apprenticed with?
                                                             Denny

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 05:00:00 AM »
Shenefelt?

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
That would make sense since Oppelt was in Venango County...then again, there is that buttplate, and Putneyville is not all that far from Clarion.
Looks Shreckish to me.
                                    Denny