Author Topic: forged laminated wood chisels  (Read 3483 times)

WyomingWhitetail

forged laminated wood chisels
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »
So I spent the other day playing around with the forge. I made a couple of wood chisels using 3/8 mild steel square stock (that cheap Chinese stuff from home depot). I then forge welded a thin (probably around a 1/32 thick) piece of high carbon to the end. The high carbon I used was from an old automotive valve spring from when I rebuilt the motor in my 64 ford pickup. Was quite a bit easier than I thought it would be. I have never really done any forge welding but I had pretty decent luck. The second chisel took me a couple of attempts to get it to stick but in the end it worked out. The first chisel I had a part of the high carbon bit pop loose as I was shaping it but it was the end away from the end so its still useable. The shapes are a little non traditional but I was mostly just messing around with the forge welding. I tried to get a picture showing the division between the high carbon bit and the mild steel but I'm a terrible photographer. After shaping a simply heated the end up and stuck in a snow bank. I didn't do any tempering and the bit is definitely hard but from what I have played with them so far they haven't chipped.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:24:56 AM by rich pierce »

Smoketown

Re: forged laminated wood chisels
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
WW,

Polish the parts and use a light application of liquid 'cold blue'.

The different steels will take on different hues/colors.

It's a lot easier than trying to buy a lot of acids and mixing a 'Pickering' solution.

If you want to keep the color intact, you will still need to neutralize the part and coat it with some aerosol clear lacquer.

Cheers,
Smoketown