Author Topic: Early T/C Hawken  (Read 3570 times)

charlie44gs

Early T/C Hawken
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:52:05 PM »
A friend has many of the parts for a T/C Hawken kit so I have been looking for the needed parts a gun shows. Couple of weeks ago I found a T/C/Hawken "parts gun." Seller said the trigger and lock were broken. Paid $80 for it knowing it contained all the parts I need to complete my friend's kit.
"Parts gun" looked rough but a little adjusting on trigger screws got that working. The lock had a little rust that was interfering with the shear spring. Some oil and cleaning got it working as well. I then decided to resurrect the rifle rather than part it out. Its serial number is "1157" and it has a small "iron cross" stamped on underside of the barrel. Any guesses as to its age (early '70's) or the barrel maker?
Thanks
Charlie
Still need to find the parts for friend's rifle.

Smoketown

Re: Early T/C Hawken
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »
One heck of a deal there!   ;D

Serial number definitely indicates early.

Is there a 'K' preceding the serial number?
Also a 'K' in the barrel channel of the stock?
Does it have one or two screws in the front of the brass nose cap?
Long base rear sight?
Recessed barrel wedge escutcheons?

PICTURES? 

I'm guessing that the barrel has all of the other "Thompson/Center" markings too?

It's like the old song says, "Little Things Mean A Lot".    ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »
Before  you know it those things will probably become collectors pieces and demand ridiculous prices and people will eagerly pay it.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:41:29 AM »
Before  you know it those things will probably become collectors pieces and demand ridiculous prices and people will eagerly pay it.....
Pretty funny how that works sometimes.

charlie44gs

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:12:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
No 'K' on barrel or in channel. One screw on nose cap. Distance between rear sight mounting screws is one and one-half inch.
There is a screw hole between the tang mounting screws. Could that be for a peep sight? escutcheons are flush to the stock (inlet).
Barrel has some rust but nothing offensive. Thought I might try browning the barrel, which was originally blued