Author Topic: my lead casting setup  (Read 2087 times)

Offline snapper

my lead casting setup
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:16:47 PM »
I thought I would share my lead casting setup.  This is the time of the year that I do all of my casting for the coming year.  I think I have cast around 50 lbs of bullets so far.  I have a couple more batches to go before I am done for the year.

I purchased the hood from Iowa State University surplus for $15.  It was intended to sit on a bench and  the fan was blowing the wrong direction.  I reversed the fan direction to pull air into the hood and used a dryer vent to vent to the outside.  I also set the hood up on ropes and pulleys so that I can pull it up out of the way when not in use. 

There is a light inside of the hood and with the Plexiglas I dont have to wear safety glasses.  I dont have to worry about lead fumes and can cast inside of my shop without worrying about the weather outside.

My pot is a Waage and I think that a high quality pot helps with my casting, keeping the lead at a fairly constant temperature.

On my work bench I have 3 pieces of Hardiplank siding scraps that the pot sits on and the other hot things so I dont have to worry about burning my bench top.  Hardiplank is a cement fiber board.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: my lead casting setup
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
Very nice set-up and well thought out. Now that you got the inside fumes taken care of lets see a picture of the "scrubber" that should be on the outside exhust to go along with that rig ;D ;D!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb