Author Topic: Alabama Show  (Read 7257 times)

Offline art riser

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Alabama Show
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:40:49 AM »
The show is going to be a great one, we have sold 70 tables so it is packed. I am trying to get a few more tables for some late request. Come join the fun in good old sunny Alabama.

Jim Parker
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
My wife and I are headed that way on Thursday. Looking forward to the southern rifles and seeing friends and making a few new ones. Warmer weather won't hurt either. It's 4-degrees here this morning. But then by Wednesday we are supposed to be back to about 60. Strange weather.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
I will be there. Should be a great time and an opportunity to study some nice guns.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »
I only live 15 miles from Joe Wheeler, this will be my first show.

Is this show being advertised in the local papers? I haven't seen anything on it locally so far.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:03:09 AM »
.....I will be there...want to bring a couple rifles to get opinions on.....any chance I can park them on someone's table while I walk around...???....  gonna try to be there both days... ::) ??? :D :D

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:27 PM »
The park was going to have the show listed by the local paper but I don't know if they have,
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
Off in a few minutes to Joe Wheeler State Park  near Rogersville Al for the Alabama Kentucky Rifle Show. First ever. Come support it.. Set up is this afternoon and show starts in the am. I will have several rifles for sale including three in the antique category and a couple of Frank Bartlett's best work. A friend of mine is really cutting back anticipating retirement and perhaps a move to Wyoming.  There will be lots to see there. Try to make it. Thanks to Jim Parker for making this possible. He has squeezed in a couple of tables so now the show has 72 tables. Hope to see you there. Look me up for a visit. Tim Cosby

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
CCF
Stop by we'll help with the rifles. You can certainly get an opinion on anything from the folks that will be around me. See you there. Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
....Thanx....only live about an hour north in Tennessee....Plan on bringing an original E. TN. rifle for opinions....also a reputed H. Martin, L. Smith pistol.....Would appreciate if I could park them with someone while I roam.......BTW....are any of the Frank Bartlett rifles E. TN style in .45-.50 cal.   ??

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Just got home from the show, I will be going back tomorrow. Everyone was super nice and answered all my newbie questions in detail. I wasn't going to spend any money but had to have the barrel tools that Jason Rice was selling and a bunch of odds and ends (jags, screws and a side plate) from TVM.

The crowd looked pretty good and I expect more on Saturday

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 02:39:06 AM »
...Good report, Eric......See yous tomorrow....

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 03:16:08 AM »
We're having a great time at the show...which is sold out of tables. Rayl and Rice barrels, and Harrison gunstocks are here, lots of original guns and builders and collector's willing to share knowledge and let you handle their treasures. Lodge is clean, spacious,and inexpensive and has a beautiful view of the river. Weather is in good with temps in the mid 70's. I've been looking all day and still am finding more to look at tomorrow.

There will be a convocation after dinner this evening where we can talk about those of you who didn't come  ;)

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
Lots of freezing rain betwixt me and all of you..... :-X
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
Jason had a lot of barrels on hand, I was afraid to ask if he had an 44", A weight .32 because I have three projects on the bench ahead of me now and knew if I asked and he had one I might be tempted to take it home with me.

Harrison gunstocks had the finest blanks I have ever seen, out of my league for this newbie builder but spectacular nonetheless.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
I had to go back today, here are a few pictures.

Rice Barrels;

Harrison Gunstocks;

Bill Millican;

Tenn Valley Manufacturing had lots of stuff, nice to be able to pick up those odds and ends.

Plenty of stuff to look at;

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »
...Good to meet you today, Eric.....gonna talk you out of that southern squirrel gun some day....You build fine guns...!! ....My Thanx to Jim Parker and all involved in organizing the show......I call it a success...Got to view & hold many originals and discuss ....much knowledge on the old originals at the show...This show puts me in mind of the Knoxville show in the early days....will only get bigger in the future....Great to see Jerry Noble, Randall Pierce, Wayne Elliott, Louie Parker, David Wright. and many many more of the "Who's Who" of Southern gun collectors....Was a great day..!!!  ......BTW.....good pix, Eric...Thanx....!!!

Offline gibster

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »
Great show Jim. Well worth the 8 1/2 hour drive. Others were even further. Looking forward to the next one. If you didn't come to this show, you missed a great one. Great location and very educational. If looking to buy, there were lots of options for both original and contemporary pieces to include lots of parts for the builder. Nothing like being able to sit and talk to the folks that are knowledgeable and pick their brain, priceless.
Thanks Jim.

Offline steve1122

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »
My wife and I just got home from the show. We had a great time seeing old friends, and making new ones! Thanks Bama, for all of the hard work that you and your family put into it. Hope to see all of you again real soon, God bless you all.      Steve

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »
The show was great! Tim Cosby had a fine collection of Frank Bartlett rifles.....impressive! Numerous nice and unique antiques. Becky and I will definitely come back. Thanks Jim for a good show.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:03:25 PM by Wobblyshot »
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »
It was a great show.  Jerry Noble and I drove down from north central Illinois.  A long drive, but worth it.  Many thanks to Jim & Celeste for the work they put into making it happen.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
Boo and I thoroughly enjoyed the show, particularly to have relaxing times visiting with our many dear friends who were there.  As Jim appreciates, it was particularly nice not to have any responsibilities. Keep up the good work, Jim and Celeste.
Wayne Elliott

Offline EC121

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:07 AM »
Correction:  Tim Cosby had the Bartlett rifle exhibit.  I don't think Tim Crosby made the show.
Brice Stultz

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
Correction:  Tim Cosby had the Bartlett rifle exhibit.  I don't think Tim Crosby made the show.

My apologies. It was Tim Cosby.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.