Author Topic: Frank Burton  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Frank Burton
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:08:41 PM »
A friend of mine has the opportunity to buy a rifle made by a builder named Frank Burton who is supposed to be from North Carolina. Some connection to the late John Bivins. Any information about this fellow is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:14:56 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Clowdis

Re: Frank Burton
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Frank lived in Winston Salem, NC and did associate with John Bivens and Lew Sanchez. If D. Buck Stopshere hits on this topic he can fill you in more. He was a partner with Lew and associated with John and Frank. I think Frank worked in the 70's for the most part and did some pretty good work before moving to the coast.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
Stoner,
Frank Burton was a fine gunsmith. I met him in the early eighties after he moved to Pawley's Island S.C. I purchased a Siler lock kit, barrel and stock blank from him for my first rifle. He saw some carving and engraving I had done on a friend's rifle and offered me the opportunity to work with him in his shop. Unfortunately, Frank had a heart attack and passed away shortly after. I regret that I never got to work with him. He was a very talented and knowledgeable gunmaker. If you will search Frank Burton on this sight you will find more info that Buck Buchanan supplied in an earlier post. Hope this helps.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline wormey

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:51:39 PM »
I bought my first barrel (45 Douglas) stock, and brass buttplate and triggerguard from Frank when he was still in Winston Salem.  I bought my first lock in kit form from Bud Siler.  Frank was a modern day pioneer along with Bivens, Earl Lanning, Sanchez, Bud Siler, and precious few others.  He died much too young.  He was a good craftsman, too.  Wormey

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
When I was working as the gunsmith at Old Salem back in '70 and '71 John Bivins and I would go out to Frank's shop from time to time.  I remember buying a case of Dupont powder and a Colt pistol from Frank.  Still have the pistol and a can or two of the powder.  Frank really was a nice guy to deal with and a good guy in general.
Jim

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:46:40 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your posts. My friend bought the rifle, a .40 cal with a straight 7/8" x 42 Douglas barrel and a good old Russ Hamm maslin lock. The carving is good, the engraving is good, and the stock architecture is good too. All of those who have inspected the rifle agree that the piece came from the mid 1970s. It's a well made piece and in my opinion much better than average in workmanship for that era.
 What strikes me the most is comparing the good stuff from only 40 years ago to the good stuff being made today. Much credit needs to go to all of the dedicated artists, historians, & people like you who we chat with regularly on places like ALR. We've come a long way!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:51:07 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Frank did the stocking and carving. His local friend, Jack Spain did the engraving on the brass. Frank's shop was located in the Cardinal Shopping Center off the Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem.

Lew Sanchez, my late business partner, and I drove up to get some crafting ideas from Frank, and ended up, each of us ordering a flintlock; Lew a .50 and a .45 for me. Had a hard time squeezing $300 out of my available funds away from the eyes of my ex-wife, for a Lancaster-style flintlock longrifle, complete with Douglas barrel and Hamm lock. Dru Hedgecock of Thomasville(?) NC, made the brass furniture and triggers. It was fine wormanship for 1972. Back then, that was the "cat's meow" in NC for handmade longrifles.  Lew's rifle was #102 and mine was #103.

Through Frank we met the late John Bivins, whose first left-handed flintlock Lacaster-style longrifle built in 1977, still resides in my safe. John had heard that Bud Siler was coming out with left-hand locks, and he secured a couple kits to give to a young man working with John, under his direction that had graduated from gunsmithing school in CO. My lock is stamped on the inside "M. M." (Monte Manderino). ;)

Frank put us on to John Braxton of Alamance County, one of NC's living "muzzleloading treasures", and to the "Salem Riflesmith", the late Robert Hunt of Winston-Salem. He introduced us to Hayden Allen of Asheboro and his exquisite hand-worked, hand-carved furniture.  Frank was helpful to the late John Bivins in helping him getting on the road to gunmaking.  I have alway said, "One door opens another door".

Frank worked in the "Village of Yesteryear" as the resident gunmaker at the NC State Fair for decades until moving to SC. Bob Hill took his place, I believe.

Sadly, Frank, Bob Hunt, Lew Sanchez, John Bivins, all have past, saving a spot "upstairs" at the workbench for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:36:43 AM by D. Buck Stopshere »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

KCL#316

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond on this rifle, and thanks to stoner creek for posting it originally. I'm the owner of said rifle, and new to this site. To hear that burton and bivins were aquatinted makes since because the carvings (expecially the check piece) favor johns work. My rifle is number 144, so mid 70s sounds right. Thanks again