Author Topic: Solomon Kempf (Camf) rifle  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Solomon Kempf (Camf) rifle
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
The name H Hilman is engraved on the moon inlayed in the cheek.  Likely one of the local Heilman's (Hileman's) as I find No Hilman in the census records here.

image hosting site no sign up
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:35:47 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Western PA rifle signed J Camp (Camf)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:21 AM »
I suggest it is a script "S" rather than a "J".
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:11:37 AM »
Thanks Taylor. what's the last letter?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Spinner

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:01:23 AM »
Rob: Look at the Andrew Kopp rifle that's posted on the CLA Facebook site. The Ps are formed very similar to the last letter on your gun in question. I would vote for S. Camp.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:58:30 PM by Mark Tyler »

Smoketown

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:06:40 PM »
Cool!!

Now it could possibly be "S. Camp".

Good thing we were taught to read/interpret cursive writing in school ...   :o
(Doctors being the hardest!)  ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

galamb

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:11:24 AM »
I'm not a handwriting expert :)  So can't say if these could be signed by the same guy, but here is a signature from 1858 from a J G Camp (Whisker suggested it was a J in this signature) who was a gunmaker in Huntington, PA.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:15:12 AM by galamb »

Smoketown

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
After some research I believe this to be the signature of Solomon Kempf, Cempf, Camp.   Anyone have one of his
rifles for comparison?  Signatures from Books and Ancestry info show changes in their spelling over the years.  There
is a rifle in the Rosenberger Kaufman book signed by his brother Benjamin where the Camp looks nearly identical to
this rifle.  Interestlingly the barrel was rebreached and restocked by Wm Shreckengost.  Shreckengost reused some
of the Kempf/Camp hardware on the rifle and used some of his own.  Interestingly the 4th rifle made by Shreckengost
with a barrel signed by another maker to surface.  They are, Thomas Alison, Solomon Kempf/Camp, Anthony Bonnet
and Nicolas Shenefelt.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Western PA rifle signed S Camp (Camf)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
I'd be curious to know whether this signature was push engraved or tapped.   It's so smooth it leads me to think pushed.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:31:12 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
Turns out this signature is that of Solomon Kempf, (Cempf), Camf in it's many forms as per Richard Rosenberger who has seen others.
Thinking the barrel was reused by Wm Shreckengost since the rest of his work is very evident in the rifle.