Author Topic: Jacob Kuntz Rifle ?  (Read 3354 times)

Hobie Dog

Jacob Kuntz Rifle ?
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
Some time ago I acquired what was represented as a Jacob Kuntz flintlock rifle. The rifle is not only beautiful, in my opinion, but is in very good condition and I believe, based on what I can see and have studied about the man that it was built by J. Kuntz.
Recently, a collector who is a very knowledgeable in identifying makers of rifles that are not signed, suggested the rifle may have been made by someone other than J. Kuntz( in the same timeframe and location) and had some pretty sound reasons. So I read posts on this forum back to 2010 about Kuntz rifles and thought I would throw out to anyone who might know, my request for help. I have pictures of the rifle that I can send to anyone who might be able to help me confirm, once and for all,  who built this rifle.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Jacob Kuntz Rifle ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
Hobie Dog,
Please email me images of the “Kuntz” rifle to wapaton.sr@gmail.com. I couldn’t fine your email address in your profile, and “Personal Message” didn’t seem to work when I tried it just now.

Thanks, Bill Paton, Anchorage, Alaska 907-230-3600
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:18:07 AM »
Hobie Dog, Jacob Kuntz and his brother Peter engaged in the gun making business in Philadelphia early in the 1800's. Jacob and Peter often did not sign their guns but each had significant signature characteristics which allow a experienced eye to separate the two Philadelphia makers. Prior to the Philadelphia gunshop Jacob worked in the Lehigh Valley for several years. His early work is often confused with other gunsmiths from the valley.

It really needs to be done in person but a good alternative can provide a reasonable guess with quality photos. The key word is quality.

As an example: if your gun has 5 of the six signature characteristics of Jacob than you can be close to an identification point. All six allows a conclusion.

I 'm pretty easy to find. Send photos to my 'listed' email address and I will provide my opinion.

There is a photo group of attributed J. Kuntz pistols buried somewhere in the ALR archives. You may want to start there before sending photos. I believe the J. Kuntz characteristics are listed in the same thread.  Regards, HIB

Hobie Dog

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
Henry, Thank you very much I will send the photos  that I rec'd when I acquired the rifle. Please let me know if I should take others and send them.
Thank you again
Frank

Hobie Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
Henry,
Could you send me your email address. I was unable to find it. I will keep searching.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »
Hobie Dog,

In this new version of ALR member email addresses are not found as they were in the old version.  To email HIB, look in his reply, on the left, under his screen name and post count, there is a little icon that looks like an envelope.  Click on the envelope and an email page will pop up.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:04:37 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Hobie Dog,

In this new version of ALR member email addresses are not found as they were in the old version.  To email HIB, look in his reply, on the left, under his screen name and post count, there is a little icon that looks like an envelope.  Click on the envelope and an email page will pop up.

-Ron
And I might add if there is no envelope showing, the member DID NOT want members to have access to their email address, but you should be able to send the member a PM (Private Message).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:35:33 AM »
PM sent
JIM

Hobie Dog

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
Bill,

I was looking back through some old posts and I thought I sent you the pics of the Kuntz rifle but did not see your reply. I was wondering if the pics ever arrived. If not, I would be very happy to send them and would love to get your opinion. This is still on open question for me. Thank you in advance.
Frank