Author Topic: survivor questions.  (Read 1905 times)

ron w

survivor questions.
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:00:17 AM »
what do you think is the ratio between surviving percussion rifles compared to surviving flintlocks ?. does it seem there is disproportionately more flintlock survivors than percussion survivors giver that the percussion era was comparatively, not so long ago?.

Offline Feltwad

Re: survivor questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
It just depends  what you call original those built in the flintlock period up till 1830 then most were converted to percussion then the answer is more percussion  have survived , but if you take the repros that were built after 1900 then it would be the flintlock. This may vary from country to country  here in the UK there are more percussion than flintlock originals with a ratio of 20 to 1 .
Feltwad

ron w

Re: survivor questions.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
 that's interesting..... i'll bet here that later built guns are far more common as flintlocks than percussion. I think people here build their long guns just to shoot them and people by you build their long guns to hunt with them. thus a percussion is a bit more reliable as a hunting weapon.
   I was asking purely in the case of original orientation. flintlocks that are still flintlocks and conversions that started out as a flintlock vs. percussions built during the percussion era. as far as conversion goes, it really doesn't matter if it is a converted gun or not, it is still originally built as a flintlock, so it would go in that category as far as survivor status goes,... I would think anyways.   there are plenty of original flint guns with replaced flint locks as well...  I don't think a new lock, be it a conversion or a similar replacement, changes the fact that the gun is an original gun and should be put in the category of it's original orientation..