Author Topic: Help with info on "J.F.B" half stock long rifle  (Read 5039 times)

Gchabal

Help with info on "J.F.B" half stock long rifle
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
Just bought this half stock long rifle from an antique shop in Leechburg, PA and would like any help with information and identifying it. I also thought it might be a good candidate for the ALR Virtual Library & Museum as I couldn’t find any “J.F.B” gunsmith rifle there. Here is the info and a lot of pictures I have of it so far (I haven’t removed the barrel yet to see if there are any marks underneath). Hope all of this helps.
The antique shop acquired it from the “Brown” estate sale in Apollo, PA
Top of barrel engraved with the initials “J.F.B” in script.
Lock is full cock only, no half cock.
Lock engraved with     JONN SOWER
                                  PHILADELPHIA
Inside patch box is       JAS GOLCHER
                                EAGLE RIFLE WORKS
Overall length is 55 1/2”
Barrel length is 39 ¾”
Barrel is octagon, measuring across the flats at .90” for most of the length and tapering down to .85” at the muzzle.
Inside muzzle measures .32” and across the lands measures .36” making it a 32 caliber.
Weight of rifle is 9.2 #
9” from the back of the barrel is a filled in dovetail slot. Possibly from an original sight. And the current sight is 11” from the back of the barrel.
It is 2” from the muzzle to the middle of the front sight.

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: Help with info on "J.F.B" half stock long rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »

Gchabal

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
Yes, possibly. I could see that now. So, either "J.F.B" or J.T.B". Thanks

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:47 PM »
Brant, Jacob F. (1811-1872) Uniontown,Pennsylvania,1835-1852, Pittsburg, PA 1852-1865. As "Pittsburg Gun Works" with Samuel McCosh, 1852-1855. Guns marked "J.F.B."
Ed Hamberg

Gchabal

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
Longknife; with the lock, patch box cover, and the rest of the rifle do you have an idea of the time period and place of manufacture of the rifle.  Uniontown, PA 1835 -1852 or Pittsburgh, PA 1852-1855? With the dating of the lock and patch box I would think it would be in the Uniointown, PA 1835-1852.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:41:54 PM by Gchabal »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »
 I could only find "SOWERS and SMITH", importer (1855) so I looked closer, there is an "S" on the end.
I then looked for "Smith" and there are FIVE PAGES named "Smith" but the one that caught me eye was Smith, Newberry A., Philadelphia PA. 1833-1870 Hardware dealer. It is possible that Sowers, at one time, teamed up with Smith to import or sell locks.
  "Eagle Rifle Works" Philadelphia PA 1830-1870 owned and operated by James Golcher. (Sellers)
   "McCosh, Samuel, PITTSBURGH, pa, 1826-1861. Flintlock and percussion rifles. With Jacob F. Brant as Pittsburgh Gun Works, McCosh & Brant 1854.(Sellers)

It would be really hard to tell which time period it was made in. If it was made during the partnership of Pittsburgh Gun Works (1853-1855) I would think that  it would be stamped on the barrel. So it could have been made before OR after the partnership IMHO....Does anyone have a Pittsburgh Gun Works stamped barrel??.......Ed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:53:11 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Gchabal

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
With the lead of Jacob F. Brant and the engravings on the lock and patchbox, here is what I have found so. Anybody can chime in with their ideas and info.

Brant, Jacob F.       Union Township, Fayette County,Pennsylvania   1835-1851
Brant, Jacob F.                                       Pittsburg,   Pennsylvania   1852   
Brant, Jacob F.    46 St. Clair Street,   Pittsburg,   Pennsylvania   1855-1858
Brant, Jacob F.    4 Fifth street Street,   Pittsburg,   Pennsylvania   1859-1865

Haddon's History of Uniontown of 1913:
Brant became a partner with Samuel McCosh known as Pittsburgh Gun Works and separated in 1855. Most likely the guns marked J.F.B were made by Jacob F. Brant.

John Sowers was a gunsmith and a partner in the Sowers & Smith firm. Sowers & Smith are listed in McElroy's 1855 Philadelphia Directory. The firm were Importers of gun locks. Locks sold by the firm were marked Sowers & Smith from 1840 to 1855. These locks were used by any number of gunsmiths of all sorts of muzzle-loaders of the period.

The Eagle Rifle/Gun Works, manufacturers of percussion Kentucky rifles, was operated by James Golcher in Philadelphia and was in business from 1833 to 1851. The company was located at 138 N. 2nd Street. His father was William Golcher from Birmingham England. James sold gun locks and parts for use by other gunsmiths across the state.
 James Golcher of Philadelphia died in 1880, in 1850 he employed 17 workers who made 600 dozen gun locks to be sold.
He signed guns Jas Golcher, maker of Deringer-Style Pocket Pistols, muzzle loading shotugns Pennsylvania style rifles. In the early 18th century the Golcher family was known as gunlock makers. James and John were riflesmiths. There are Kentucky style rifles signed Jas. Golcher/Lancaster. Likely the same.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:49:54 PM by Gchabal »

Gchabal

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
After removing the barrel there were no other marks on it other than the initials "JFB" that was on the top of the barrel. Here is a picture of the backside of the lock while I had it apart.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:26:37 PM by Gchabal »