Author Topic: Alabama Kentucky rifle show and the Sheetz rifle  (Read 2415 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Alabama Kentucky rifle show and the Sheetz rifle
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
Well the 1st Alabama - Kentucky Rifle Show is now history and all I can say is wow!

What a great show. We sold the show out with 72 tables. There was something for everyone at this show. We had some of the grandest antique rifles and some fantastic çontemporary rifles on display and for sale. We also had over 100 members of the public to come to the show. Sales and trades were being made all over the room. We had a great display of period knives, horn's, pouches and other period items. We even had an 1850's period hand forged Grizzly bear trap on display. I am telling you that we had a little bit of everything. If you did not make it you missed a great show.

Everyone complimented me and Celeste on the great job we did putting the show together. We also had a lot of volunteer help at the show. Thank you Miss Boo for all your help on Thursday afternoon, you were a life saver. Helen Hodges thank you for your help, Jamie Cross and Sherrie Hames my two lovely daughters and Ali Bankston also helped Celeste at the registration table. Walter Mabry, Tom Kilgo, Chris Hames and Travis Brown helped with night security, Thanks guy's. All in all for the first show things went very smoothly. There were a few suggestions that we are looking at for next year's show to make it even better. Thank you to all the vendors, without you there would be no show.

There were so many great displays that it would be hard to mention them all but here is one I was very proud to have.
Bob Melancon had the " Battle of New Orleans rifle " made by John Jacob Sheetz on display. This is an amazing display. Bob has found a direct decent of William Ross who used the rifle in the Battle and has a family genealogy of the family written by this descendant. Bob has also obtained a copy of a portrait of William Ross the owner and user of the Sheetz rifle. Except for the CLA show a few years ago this is the first time Bob has had the rifle on display at a Kentucky Rifle Show with all of the history, genealogy and with the portrait of William Ross the owner and user of the rifle at the actual battle. I felt very honored to have it at the show.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Alabama Kentucky rifle show and the Sheetz rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:42:33 PM »
...Wow...Thank You, Jim...!!!...What a GREAT show.....I have attended the Knoxville show since the beginning, and this show puts me in mind of that show at the start....WILL get bigger...Gonna need a bigger room..!!.was able to see some great guys with great guns..maybe should be a twice a year  event.....My congrats to all who put on the show, and all who attended....

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »
...Please post more photos....!!!

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
Bama, I started a thread on" over the fence " singing high praises of your show GREAT JOB!!!   I do wish to chime in and say that Mr Bob Melancon is a very knowledgeable  and gracious man with, an obvious love for the grand treasure he possesses . He not only allowed me the honor and priveledge of holding such a piece of history but, provided a complete and well documented history of the piece which also happens to be made by a member of the famous gunbuilding Sheetz family . Just a really , really GREAT!! rifle with a GREAT!! history and GREAT !!! caretaker .        I hope to see this again!               Thanks Nathan

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
I had such a great time at the show I went back on Saturday.

My only suggestion would be to run an ad in the local paper about the show and print out some fliers to put in the local gun shops/sporting goods stores. I called everyone I could think of and none had a clue that the show was scheduled. I contacted guys who are active members of the Crockett Longhunters and they didn't know about the show.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
...Thanx for the photos, Eric.....I shared them with a couple FB Longrifle groups....Good to meet you Saturday....