Author Topic: Another collection stolen. Beware.  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Another collection stolen. Beware.
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
Below is a note I received from another KRA member.  "FYI, a KRA’er from MD, named John, called me late this afternoon to alert me
 to the fact that most of his Ky rifle collection was stolen.  The sad part, he had no photos or records of what was in the collection! There is a promising side though. Last week, I was down in MD visiting a college roomie when on my way home I stopped in an antique mall in Westminster.  Oddly, I spotted a Ky that looked like a possible Huntingdon County rifle.  When I examined it, i was able to identify it as made by either Lewis Fondersmith Sr or Jr. I told John about it and he rushed over to the mall and identified it as his rifle primarily because of the repair Brian LaMaster made to it.  The dealer bought it dirt cheap at a pawn shop in Littlestown, PA and it appears they are able to identify the seller! Hopefully, he will get his rifles back.  This is a big lesson for all the gun collectors out there.  Maybe you could use ALR to spread this message."

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

Re: Another collection stolen. Beware.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
"The sad part, he had no photos or records of what was in the collection! "

Huh!

Yes, let's hope he gets his collection back, and then documents it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »
  Everyone who has any kind of valuables. Should record there valuables. With their insurance company. Take pictures or what ever an secure it in a safe spot. Also be very Leary of who you let see your collection's...! Oldtravler

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »
Consider "Chubb" fine arts , all risk insurance. Does not require appraisal under $50,000.00 in value, just a description. Very reasonable cost. Obviously no one can replace the item! but at least you will have money to continue to collect.
Hurricane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
Consider "Chubb" fine arts , all risk insurance. Does not require appraisal under $50,000.00 in value, just a description. Very reasonable cost. Obviously no one can replace the item! but at least you will have money to continue to collect.
Hurricane

Fred,
I would be very interested to know if there is their independent evidence of their past record on settling claims? I am not trying to disparage them, just a little cynical when it comes to paying out good money for "insurance" based only on a description.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
Dennis: Understood. Good point. I will try to find out and post.
Hurricane

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »
I recently arranged for an inland marine policy on a "small" collection.  The broker was the NRA's affiliated broker.  The process is simple and requires a list of firearms with descriptions and serial numbers IF available.  If not, critical features for identification are needed.  The cost is, as I recall .0166 per 1000.  Application is simple and easy.  While I have no personal claims experience I know of others who have and there has never been an issue to my knowledge.  Of course one does need to be an NRA member to get coverage and membership alone provides a complimentary $2500 of firearms coverage.

After years in the insurance industry I am always amazed at views on insurance, especially those who bad mouth it and then cry when they experience an uninsured loss.  I can handle people who don't like "insurance" and elect to "self insure"...just keep in mind that is not a decision that can be changed after they are lost.

Getting coverage under a HO policy as "scheduled" property or "fine art" can be a little more involved but might be even less expensive.  The problem is that most companies, it seems, do not view firearms as "fine art" and generally do not want to ensure them.  An antique,to an underwriter, is the same as a a Kimber 45 ACP.  "A gun is a gun"!

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »
I have used Inland Marine for years.  I'm pretty sure you don't have to belong to the NRA to get coverage with them.  Jack

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
Good Gun Safe!!! protection from fire and theft. I sleep well & peace of mind
 for my investments
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Smoketown

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
Good Gun Safe!!! protection from fire and theft. I sleep well & peace of mind
 for my investments

According to some friends on another forum whos homes were destroyed in the latest wildfire.

"Gun safes only protect your guns from 'SMALL' fires" ...   :(

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
GrandpaJack:  "Inland marine" in the generic sense is a type of coverage, not a specific company.  Many, if not most companies, offer coverage under inland marine policies and you certainly can purchase an inland marine policy through them.  Here is a good explanation of "IM" coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance

The NRA's broker is Lockton Affinity out of Kansas City, MO.  Lockton is a very diverse insurance broker and they may very well offer similar coverage under different banners or "labels" but the "ArmsCare" label I believe is unique to and associated with the NRA partner program.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »
Molly, I did not know that.  Thanks, Jack