Author Topic: Cleaning Files  (Read 11729 times)

Online David R. Pennington

Cleaning Files
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Does anyone use this trick? The problem is the little buggers that get stuck in the file that the card won't clean out, then when you start filing again they drag a big scratch in your work.[/URL
I learned this little trick a long time ago. Just take a scrap piece of brass
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:23:31 AM by rich pierce »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Re: Cleaning Files
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
(I posted before I was done)
Hold a scrap piece of brass at an angle with the corner of one edge parralel with the file teeth. After a couple passes teeth are automatically cut into the brass that fit into the file grooves and force the debis out of the file recesses. I do this alot drawfiling a barrel.
photobucketphotobucketphotobucket
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:23:53 AM by rich pierce »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:02 AM »
Yep, someone mentioned it earlier (without photos) and I tried it. Works great far better than trying to get them out with a file card!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:49:42 AM »
I flatten the mouth of a 30-06 casing, works like a champ!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:10:51 AM »
I love posts like this, Dave, thank you!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
I love posts like this, Dave, thank you!

Absolutely! This is the ultimate K.I.S.S*. tool.

Bob Roller
* Keep It Simple Stupid ;D

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
   Dave slick as can be. Big thank you Mike

tuffy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
I find it easier to not get it in there to start with. I just use powdered chalk on the file and it (metal filings) comes out easily. Usually just have to tap the file on the bench, the chalk and the filings both fly out. If one does stick, the card file pops it out quickly as there is still chalk under the filing. I use standard snap line chalk. Any color you like.  ;)

CW

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
CW, I occasionally chalk my files, especially when filing lathe work, or on brass, but drawfiling barrels it seems like I chase my tail with the chalk. The little pieces stick in anyway and when I card there goes the chalk, so I have to chalk again. Seems easier to just push out the buggers. Plus the chalk is a little messier. This is pretty cheap too. One little scrap of brass can be used for 4 different grades of files, just turn it over and end for end. When it gets worn down, file it off square again and start over.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:24:17 AM by rich pierce »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »
I agree Dave -- the chalk does not always work 100% of the time for me so I use the brass or a scribe to "pick" out the buggers.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

boman

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 03:16:19 AM »
I find it easier to not get it in there to start with. I just use powdered chalk on the file and it (metal filings) comes out easily. Usually just have to tap the file on the bench, the chalk and the filings both fly out. If one does stick, the card file pops it out quickly as there is still chalk under the filing. I use standard snap line chalk. Any color you like.  ;)

I use kids sidewalk chalk

Steve

ron w

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 02:02:38 AM »
soap stone that iron workers use to mark steel, works better than any chalk I ever tried.

Smoketown

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:42 AM »
soap stone that iron workers use to mark steel, works better than any chalk I ever tried.

Any welding supply has it.

Bulk cartons too.

Cheers,
Smoketown

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
We always called it marking 'keel'. Supposedly the soapstone was used as ship's ballast in the old sailing ship days hauled down near the keel of the ship.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
I use an old .33 WCF casing.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

ron w

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
David R,
    the "keil" is the wooden handle that the marking chalk, crayon or soapstone chalk goes in. just makes easier to hang on to.

wilkie

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 03:33:34 AM »
A few years ago I tried bacon grease when drilling metal and it worked better than motor oil.  When I filed the burrs off the metal I got some of the bacon grease on my files.  Then I found that the filings cleaned out of my files much easier, even with a brass bristle brush.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
A few years ago I tried bacon grease when drilling metal and it worked better than motor oil.  When I filed the burrs off the metal I got some of the bacon grease on my files.  Then I found that the filings cleaned out of my files much easier, even with a brass bristle brush.

A new recipe for iron rich gravy. ;D

Bob Roller

Smoketown

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »
We always called it marking 'keel'. Supposedly the soapstone was used as ship's ballast in the old sailing ship days hauled down near the keel of the ship.

Dixon Lumber Crayons – 12 Yellow - Markers/Keel - Marking Supplies ...
www.allenprecision.com/supplies/marking...keel/dixon-lumber-crayons-12-yellow/
These extruded lumber crayons (keel) last up to 10 times longer than ordinary molded wax crayons. Fade, water and smear proof. Won't melt in direct sunlight.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Wilkie, did the salt in the bacon grease cause any problem with rust on your files?..... Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

wilkie

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Hi Bob.  No the bacon grease didn't cause any rust problems that I could see.  I also heard of using muratic acid on files to sharpen them but it is stronger than what I like to use.  I tried distilled vinegar and found it to be safer and it does work.  You cannot rejuvenate a severally dulled file but it will help a file that has lost some of its sharpness.  I have heard that after files have had acid used to sharpen them that steel pins will stick in them much easier.  I use a small acid brush to smear spots of bacon grease on several places on the file them use a brass bristle brush to spread the grease over the entire file.  This reduces the amount of pins sticking in the file.       

wilkie

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
I forgot to mention that bacon grease is very good to use when tapping threads.  I tried bacon grease several years ago when I read on the instructions of my grandfathers Greenfield tap and die set said to use plenty of lard oil when tapping threads.  Having just finished frying some bacon I tried some of the grease when tapping and it worked much better than motor oil.  I tried it when drilling and then later tried it on my files when using them on steel.  My grandfather was a blacksmith in the 1920's and I noticed the suggestion about lard oil in the instructions.

wilkie

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »
I also forgot to mention that I use bacon grease on my high carbon hacksaw blades.  It reduces heat buildup and prolongs the life of blade by quite a lot.  When they do get dull I can still use them to make small springs.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
Wilkie,I have seen reference to the use of lard in old blacksmith journals as well, but it is unsalted lard not bacon grease they were referring to. With the humidity in my area, the salt in bacon grease would cause a problem I fear......Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

wilkie

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:42 AM »
Hi Bob.  It hasn't caused me a problem in the last 10 to 15 years.  It makes a big difference on a hacksaw blade in reducing heat buildup which is the big reason that carbon steel hacksaw blades become dull.  You can try it on one file, but I think you will like it.  You can always clean it off.  Also I used the grill from an old air conditioner, after I cut it in half, to hold my files.  You have to support it horizontally and the file handles have to be on tight, but you can store a lot of files in a small space.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:19:59 AM by wilkie »