Author Topic: Sources for bulk black powder  (Read 6704 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Sources for bulk black powder
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:03 AM »
Anyone have a good place they go to in order to buy black powder in bulk?

I'm guessing shipping charges aren't terribly pleasant, but wondering if it makes sense to buy in bulk rather than a lb at a time over the counter.

Thanks!

Offline snapper

Re: Sources for bulk black powder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »
Not sure what "in bulk" means to you. 

However, ATF limits the annual purchase per person at 50 lbs per year I believe.

I  buy a case at a time, which is 25, one pound cans.

There are a several places to get your powder.  I have been purchasing from Crater Fireworks out of IL for several years, it is easy for me as I pick it up on my way to or from when traveling.   Buffalo Arms has a good price on powder.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:25 AM »
Powder inc.  Clarksville AR. They also sell in bulk - no cans.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:13:32 AM »
Jack's Powder Keg.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
Rather it's worth it or not depends on how much you shoot, or anticipate shooting. I don't see it getting any cheaper and if you buy 25 pounds now you'll be glad you did a few years down the road. To me it was worth it.
I would only buy from a dealer who will mix your order. I think Grafs was the last firm I bought from but I can't really remember.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
Powder Inc. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

rfd

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »
i did the online research last year and crater fireworks was the cheapest for 25lbs of shipped swiss.

Offline Maven

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
Crater Fireworks is where I go as well. :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, VA carries GOI, Scheutzen, and Swiss in bulk. I don't know if John ships or not but you could ask.

Dave Patterson

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
Don't know how their pricing compares, as I often care more about a vendor's services and reliability, but:

I've been ordering from Graf, and have yet to be disappointed.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
I ordered from Powder Inc.  It was very cost-effective.  I think I ended up averaging a bit over $16 per pound for 25 lbs GOEX.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 01:13:38 AM »
Another vote for Powder Inc.  Used them for years and their prices are usually hard to beat.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 02:25:33 AM »
In a way of explanation.   When In was still active in BP shooting.

They term "bulk" is used to denote a 25 pound box where the powder is simply in a big plastic bag and not in cans.  They cannot be shipped common carrier (UPS) to your house or place of business.
The common carrier variance for black powder requires the powder to be packaged in one pound cans or plastic bottles in approved cardboard boxes.  A 25 pound bulk box is not approved for common carrier shipment.

Each UPS truck is allowed to carry two 25 pound boxes of powder in cans or bottles as per the variance rules.  Someone must sign for them on delivery.  Since UPS makes one delivery run per day in a delivery area you can get 50 pounds delivered to your door per day.  They do not specify or limit amount over any given period of time.  In theory you could get 50 pound per day dropped off at your door every day UPS works.  But be prepared for the nice folks from the feds to drop in for a chat about how much you are buying and why you are buying that amount of black powder.

The other thing here is the building codes in your area.  The city I live in goes by the standard building codes in this country.  According to the code I am allowed to have no more than 5 pounds of black powder on my property.  A mid-1800s brick row home.  So as son as a UPS driver dropped a 25 pound box of black powder on my front porch I was in violation of the city building/property code.

Then according to the ATF rules I must store any amount of black powder in an approved magazine.  My approved magazine came out of the Maine Powder House 20 years ago.  Out of sight and well hidden out back under the roofed over deck attached to the rear of the house.  Lid locked of course.

In some apartment and condo complexes they forbid storage of any black powder on the property.  Five gallon cans of gasoline are not an issue.  Go figure!!

Offline snapper

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:13 AM »
 The USDOT allows for sporting arms black powder in 1pound containers to be re classified from an explosive to a flammable solid.   Not to exceed 25 pounds per outside package.   

A common carrier can transport explosives however carriers like UPS have chosen not to.   The tend to shy away from placard loads of HM.

Flammable solids have less requirements then explosives for insurance and placarding requirments.   

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline little joe

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:10 AM »
td I don,t know what part of the country you are in but I buy at Deer Creek Products at Waldron Indiana. 2 mos ago 350 a case and that included sales tax. 50 lbs per customer and 100 lbs per vehicle. In Indiana you can buy as often as needed however you are only allowed 50 lbs limit on your property. Hope this helps.

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Wrong time of the year now. But around Thanksgiving to they sell out, Wallyworld
 will have their black powder marked down cheap.  That is when I purchase my stock.  Regular price $25 to $30/ lb.
They usually mark it down to $15 the first go round. I have purchased it at $8/ lb with no limit.  But they will not have 50 bottles at that price. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:12:06 PM by Lee44shootercnb »

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:59 PM »
I would think the Cannoneers would have some input on this one....

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:09 AM »
Wrong time of the year now. But around Thanksgiving to they sell out, Wallyworld
 will have their black powder marked down cheap.  That is when I purchase my stock.  Regular price $25 to $30/ lb.
They usually mark it down to $15 the first go round. I have purchased it at $8/ lb with no limit.  But they will not have 50 bottles at that price. :)

Walmarts around here have never carried black powder.

The closest Walmart to me is within sight of a Cabela's, so that makes sense that they don't carry it, but none of the others in the region carry it, either, as far as I know.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
The last couple of times I ordered, which was over 10 years ago, price per can worked out to around $6.00 a can. I have all I need for the rest of my life and every new can I open still only cost $6.00.
Find what you really need and will be happy with and order a case or 2. Once you do that the price will never go up again.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline little joe

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

Walmarts around here have never carried black powder.  What part of the country are you in?

The closest Walmart to me is within sight of a Cabela's, so that makes sense that they don't carry it, but none of the others in the region carry it, either, as far as I know.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »
I'm in Sourheastern PA. About 15 minutes west of Dixon's. ;)

I can get powder there pretty much whenever. Was just curious if there were sources to get it for lower prices by ordering by more than 1lb at a time.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
Try Bear River Powder. Craig sells bulk Goex. 307-679-0886. Bob