Author Topic: Longrifle Identification please  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

Longrifle Identification please
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:14:25 AM »
Here are some photos that I took in 2005 of a longrifle that belonged to my wife's cousin, Bob Bearden. The lock appears to have been originally flint. I believe it is also original to the rifle. Although it is broken thru the wrist, so it makes the lock mortise look as though the lock doesn't belong on the rifle. The lock is marked in four lines, the first line looks like M or NA then unreadable. The second line, HOO or HOD then unreadable. The third line, & S, which I am assuming is & Son. Forth line PHILA. The barrel has a long breechplug tang that goes down into the wrist. I don't remember seeing any markings on the top of the barrel. Any ideas where and by whom it might have been made?

Thanks, Mark
Mark Poley

Offline louieparker

Re: Longrifle Identification please
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:28:51 AM »
Mark if I were you I would compare this rife to the photos of the  Bearden rifles made in  Tenn.  Louie

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »
I agree with Louie about comparing this rifle with known Bearden work, particularly Alfred Bearden's flint era rifles, since your gun has many similarities in stocking architecture as well as hardware, i.e. guard and triggers. At times the Beardens didn't sign their rifles, sometimes they used a barrel stamp, and other times they stamped their first/last initials on the oblique flat (not top flat) back near the breech. Lock marks don't mean much, but any mark on the barrel may help solidify an attribution. Shelby Gallien

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:39 AM »
....Yes, Rifle definitely has Tennessee characteristics.....esp. ramrod entry pipe area.....I have seen Bearden rifles with those "fancy" trigger sets and similar trigger guards.....The lock is definitely a recycled flint lock......Great Rifle...!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Bob would have been beside himself to think that this rifle may have been made by a Bearden. He Passed away about 10 years ago and I think his son in law has the rifle. My wife's Bearden ancestors were in Lincoln County Tennessee at the same time Alfred Bearden was, but we have been unable to make a connection.   I looked thru Jerry Nobles books and did not see any Bearden rifles with the "split" trigger guard return, although Alfred did use several different guards and this one is very similar to some of them. I would love to build a copy of a Bearden rifle someday.
Thanks again, Mark
Mark Poley

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
I looked thru Jerry Noble's books again this morning, and the elongated front and rear of the lock molding, that this rifle has, was also on all of the Alfred Bearden rifles pictured. I didn't see that feature on any other guns, is that peculiar to Bearden, or have any of you seen it on another maker? The whole stock architecture is very similar to Alfred's work. The lock bolt escutcheon football shaped like those on Alfred's work also, but that shape may be common to other makers. I am going to try to reconnect with this rifle and get more photos.
Thank you all, Mark
Mark Poley