Author Topic: Most prolific gun builder of all time.  (Read 13464 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Most prolific gun builder of all time.
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:58:21 AM »
   Curious who might have been the person . Past or present that has built the most longrifles .  Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. Oldtravler

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Most prolific gun builder of all time.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
That is probably impossible to answer but I think Jacob Dickert might have been in the running.   However,  it was probably one the less talented builders who was more a manufacturer of commodity arms.   That is almost certainly true today.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:15:57 AM »
 The person I know who built the most in my lifetime was Ted Fellows of Seattle Washington.  He was building in the 50's and I know for a fact that he built over 250 each by hand. Others here probably knew him as well.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline 2shute

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
Mike Brooks is well over 300 now.  Splendid builder and nice guy.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:44:27 AM »
It would be interesting to know how many guns a 17th-18th century gunmaker could build in a lifetime. I wonder how many gunsmiths even worked full time for their entire career?

I know from making many violins by hand in the old way, that it takes about the same number of hours to make a traditional violin, as it takes to make a traditional flintlock, when buying the barrel and lock. Antonio Stradivari made over 1000 violins in his extra long career. He lived to over 90, and made violins right up to the end of his life. He also had helpers and apprentices doing much of the rough work, the same as gunsmiths.

So based on that, it seems that a gunsmith could make 12-24 complete flintlocks a year with the help of 1 or 2 workers.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
The most prolific contemporary builder more than likely is Cornel Kemper of Ferdinand IN building approx 3200. ;)

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:25 AM »
My guess would be ken Netting of Ohio and he didnt farm out any of the work.I think hes close to the 600 mark. Curt

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
Mike Brooks is well over 300 now.  Splendid builder and nice guy.

Mike who? 

;D ;D

just funnin'.

Mr. Curtis must have made a few, as he tends to have several dozen ready to go all the time, for many years now. Tip Curtis of Central TN that is.  I think Mr. Anderson is nearing 200. I'm nearly certain that he had #175 on the bench when I was down there last, which has been over a year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:53:26 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
You might want to consider the late Cornell Kemper the father of Marvin Kemper. There was an article in a MuzzleBlasts magazine on Cornell Kemper, if I remember correctly Cornell Kemper made over 3000 rifles during his rifle building career. tI think he did all of the work and did not use a duplication machine. Perhaps Marvin will see this and provide some input. Tim

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »
Jack Garner
Jackie Brown
Matt Avance
All have made thousands
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
Cornell Kemper gets my vote.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Jim Klien once told me he has built over 750.  H.House in a personal conversation mentioned over 900. Those in the 'Mississippi Gun Building Cartel" I'm sure are in the thousands, but they have employees. I'm working on #355, my life time goal is 400 if my body holds out but more than likely my wife's retirement in 3 years will end my career...I'll have to go out and get a "real" j-o-b  :o to cover the cost of health insurance. My wife and I were both self employed 10  years ago and could actually afford health insurance back then. I don't think I can make enough building guns to cover it now.
I'm in awe of Mr Kemper building over 3,000 guns by himself. Not something I'd want a part of. All work and no play makes Mikey a dull boy. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
I am sure Mark is close. It would have probably been one of the smiths who contracted with government or committee of safety to build military arms. A lot of these were unable to fullfil their entire contracts according to some of the old docs., but still would have produced a lot of pieces.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
Royland Southgate built over a thousand.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »
  Not sure of the exact figure, but Leonard Day has built a large number of rifles, fowlers and pistols.
                                      Dan

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
With respect to 19th century builders, John Shell of Dauphin County (born in 1790, died in 1875) was unique in two aspects: He signed & numbered most of his rifles and he dated some of his later rifles. His #'s 422 & 423, the highest known numbered rifles, were both dated 1869. They were built when he was 79 years old.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:15:21 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline b bogart

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
My guess would be ken Netting of Ohio and he didnt farm out any of the work.I think hes close to the 600 mark. Curt

I spoke with Kenny this weekend and he thought he was around 500. He said he's been building since 1964.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
A little different perspective. There were places like Leman in PA and Jamestown, NC where there were barrel factories and lockmakers set up feeding gunmakers who were supplying rifles for the Western trade and even the Civil War. These makers were VERY prolific and probably made rifles by the thousands over the years. But these were shops that got a makers signature on the barrel but were made by several journeymen and apprentices working together in the same shop. This isn't the same thing as a single individual working by himself but got a lot of rifles out under one name. On another thought, how long do you think it would take a full time maker working around 1800 to make an average rifle? Maybe 2 weeks? 25 rifles per year?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »
A little different perspective. There were places like Leman in PA and Jamestown, NC where there were barrel factories and lockmakers set up feeding gunmakers who were supplying rifles for the Western trade and even the Civil War. These makers were VERY prolific and probably made rifles by the thousands over the years. But these were shops that got a makers signature on the barrel but were made by several journeymen and apprentices working together in the same shop. This isn't the same thing as a single individual working by himself but got a lot of rifles out under one name. On another thought, how long do you think it would take a full time maker working around 1800 to make an average rifle? Maybe 2 weeks? 25 rifles per year?
If he was just stocking and not making locks, barrels, etc. he could probably bang out at least one a week. I could in my youth.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 02:06:54 AM »
 To everyone thanks for the input. Always has been a question to me. You really have to be consistent with your techniques to build them so fast. Talked to a fellow at the CLA show that had built about 250. Showed me a few . One heck of a craftsman. Just wished I could remember his name. Most of the locks he built an everything else but the barrels. For his guns. Really fine gentleman an I hope he's there this year. Mike

Offline little joe

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 05:21:14 AM »
Cornell Kemper gets my vote.
I stoped by Cornells  shop many times and he always had time to talk to you, a gentleman and a very helpful person if you were trying  to learn to build.I handed no. 2000 and saw photos of no.3000.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
I first met Mr Kemper in early 1974. I remember him saying he was approaching 1800 at that time and that he had to turn out a gun per week to make a living. He did not use swamped barrels and did no engraving or carving. He had a spindle shaper to inlet the barrels.
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »
 I have heard some of these claims before.   3200 guns = 1 gun every 3 and 1/2 bays for 30 years, providing he never got sick, went on vacation, or did anything else whatsoever.
 Anybody who believes this I have some real estate to sell you. Nobody could even get that many parts.  People like Jacob Dickert had some employees or apprentices and possibly a few slaves.
  PS if a person made a gun a week before 1974 and had made 1800 guns that equates to 34.6 years of previous gun making at that time.  Marvin Kemper built his first long rifle at the age of 13 in 1972 by his own admission. He does beautiful work and is no doubt on of the very best builders of his generation.  However he is human as we all are. I think.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:03:09 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »
  Jerry your not selling your beach front property in Death Valley are you? Seriously thanks everyone for the replies. At a time when there was little in parts supplies an precarved stocks. To me it would be an amazing achievement. That's also a lot of where an tear on your body. If your using a lot of hand tool's to make them. But thank you for the replies.  Mike

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:55 AM »
Guys on this site tell me that Royland Southgate made 1008 rifles.
As far as the Old Guys go, do remember that Henry Deringer was no slouch

This flint conversion, likely for the Indian trade, I picked up from the late Cecil Keyser at the OGCA show. Believe Mr. D. man made a few pistols as well.
Dillin (remember him?) says that John Whitesides, Abington, Virginia took about a week to make a plain rifle. He forged & rifled the barrels in his own shop.

Might I remind some of those who still have hair, if you wish to know something about the American long rifle, do begin by reading Captain John G.W. Dillin. His book, The Kentucky Rifle, is the foundation.