Author Topic: Most prolific gun builder of all time.  (Read 13513 times)

Offline little joe

Re: Most prolific gun builder of all time.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »
I have heard some of these claims before.   3200 guns = 1 gun every 3 and 1/2 bays for 30 years, providing he never got sick, went on vacation, or did anything else whatsoever.
 Anybody who believes this I have some real estate to sell you. Nobody could even get that many parts.  People like Jacob Dickert had some employees or apprentices and possibly a few slaves.
  PS if a person made a gun a week before 1974 and had made 1800 guns that equates to 34.6 years of previous gun making at that time.  Marvin Kemper built his first long rifle at the age of 13 in 1972 by his own admission. He does beautiful work and is no doubt on of the very best builders of his generation.  However he is human as we all are. I think.
Jerry  You do not understand old order German work ethics in S. Indiana even today. Its too bad that time, distance or generation did not allow you to visit Cornell and his shop. I have told many people that he was the fastest builder I ever saw. I had two of his rifles and have been around several others.I think Cornell was still doing some work in his 80,s and he was very active for 45 to 50 years.

Note: Inappropriate remark removed by Moderator.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:02:23 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
John Bergman. Just seen an add for one of his guns for sale made in '93 and numbered #313. I'll bet he has 1,000 or more by now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
  J.C. If you have an organized system to building. Putting out one rifle a week shouldn't be a problem. Recently got to watch a fellow build a smr rifle in four days. From a plank. An yes he did the barrel channel,ramrod grove an make his parts. Except for the lock an barrel. My original question related to one person doing the all the work. From a plank no kits. It is an was a curiosity question without comparing one builder to another. I admire anyone who takes on the challenge of building a longrifle. Mike

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
  J.C. If you have an organized system to building. Putting out one rifle a week shouldn't be a problem. Recently got to watch a fellow build a smr rifle in four days. From a plank. An yes he did the barrel channel,ramrod grove an make his parts. Except for the lock an barrel. My original question related to one person doing the all the work. From a plank no kits. It is an was a curiosity question without comparing one builder to another. I admire anyone who takes on the challenge of building a longrifle. Mike
I would like to point out that banging out a gun a week is fine in your youth but you tend to pay the consequences as you age. My hat is off to anyone that can build a gun a week by themselves for any length of time.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
Tip Curtis told me it took him 3 days to build a gun in the white. He showed me a bunch  of specialized milling machines he made to help him with his inletting.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:22 PM »
In reference to the Kempers, I think some may be confusing the father and son,both fine builders. Marvin states on his website that he built his first rifle in 1972 at 13 yrs.old and that his father, Cornell began building shortly after WWII. Hope this helps clear some of the confusion up.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Joey R

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
"Nobody is always correct not even Jerry"  ;D
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
If finishing guns in linseed oil you'd have to have a bunch of stocks drying at any one time to turn out a rifle every 3 days. I wouldn't argue that you could do a "gun in the white" in 3 days but you're only a little past half through when you get to that point. I admire anybody that could sell that many rifles!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:10:15 PM by Clowdis »

Offline little joe

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
If finishing guns in linseed oil you'd have to have a bunch of stocks drying at any one time to turn out a rifle every 3 days. I wouldn't argue that you could do a "gun in the white" in 3 days but you're only a little past half through when you get to that point. I admire anybody that could sell that many rifles!!
The finish he used on my rifle was not Linseed Oil but was a fast drying made in Wisconsin.That was over 40 yrs ago.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »
I stumbled upon this thread, but I found it interesting.  Yes, 3200 rifles would mean one per week for 61 years, but maybe Cornell was efficient enough to knock out closer to 2 per week.  I don't know, but maybe Marvin will chime in on the topic.

I also recall reading that Cornell Kemper started off rebuilding rifles out of broken ones, with people sometimes sending half a dozen old guns to be restocked and rebuilt.  He started out in cabinets after WWII, so his woodworking talent led to restocking.  I think he did that for a few years before building his own rifles.

All I know is that my own Cornell Kemper .45 was built around 1975-ish, according to Marvin, and though it is not overly fancy, it is a well-built rifle, and still my favorite shooter (Douglas XX barrel).  I think Cornell mainly stuck to a pattern that he could reproduce very efficiently, with his signature Roman-nose comb and Berks County profile.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Mile Brooks is a nice guy??

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
   What....?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 03:29:38 AM »
Mile Brooks is a nice guy??
Vicious rumor.

Offline Telgan

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
Just keep repeating it over and over - Mike Brooks is a nice guy, Mike Brooks is a nice guy, Mike Brooks is a nice guy . . .  IT might just work.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
I just saw this week through email pictures of course, Don Bruton go from a walnut stock blank to a rifle in the white for me to finish in 5 days. An he hand inlet the barrel an also hand forged the furniture. Amazing to a redneck like me. Must not be a wasted move plus add plain ole know how or as they say it wasnt his first rodeo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:02:31 PM by wattlebuster »
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
 On HGTV they can build a new bathroom with tiled shower in 20 minutes.  Same goes for a lot of those gunbuilding videos. Personally I don't want a gun that somebody built in 3 days or even 5 days.  It's like a 20 minute paint job on your car.
  When I was younger every body talked about fine craftsmanship. Now it's how fast you can slap one together. I really don't want to be in that contest. I admire guys like Taylor, Crisalli, Kibler, Ron Scott, Smart dog, Hugh Toenjes, Bill Shipman. Dan Parris, Fleto, Etc Etc.  I left a lot of other great ones out  but you get the idea.  It don't take a lot of tallent to be fast.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:07:59 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline redheart

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
   Curious who might have been the person . Past or present that has built the most longrifles .  Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. Oldtravler
Wouldn't it have to have been H.E. LEMAN.