Author Topic: Trying to get info on a Jaeger  (Read 5205 times)

Offline WKevinD

Trying to get info on a Jaeger
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
I just picked up a study piece and I am trying to find out what I can.
It is a Jaeger 44 3/4" overall length, 31 1/2" approx .62 cal barrel, 1 1/4" at the breech 7/8" waist 1" muzzle
The lock is 5" long ant the length of pull is 12 1/2" . The butt is 2"x 4 7/8"
The photos show a 2 pc butt plate along with some interesting incised carving and a nice rear sight.
Any insights would be welcome.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/wkevindougherty/library/Jaeger
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Jaeger
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »
Nice!
Do you have a face on picture of the lock?

Is this a smooth bore?  Caliber?
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Trying to get info on a Jaeger
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
Let's try to get Mike Brooks to comment.

Is the barrel rifled?  Looks like a boar gun to me. 1770 ish. That's the limit of my speculation.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:51 AM »
THE book on these German rifles is Steinschloss-Jägerbűchsen, Erhard Wolf  ©2006, hardcover, in a case. It is in German, very well illustrated. Got mine from Jim Chambers, he used to have an English translation, spiral bound. Believe he still has the German books, maybe $145.

If not, look into www.germanguns.com. You just might find something fascinating there.

The late Mr. Shumway published some Jaeger articles in Muzzle Blasts, made available bound together. Jaeger Rifles is available from www.shumwaypublisher.com for $35, plus (I assume) shipping.

You have some fine photos. For Ancient Ones such as I, born some years B.C. (Before Computer) you might want to give a hint as to how to stop that Wonderful Slide Show so one might look closely at them. 

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
Is the barrel rifled?

Yes it is rifled about a .62 caliber

I have Shumways "Jaeger Rifles" but can find nothing with the details shown.

The link below should show the pics one at a time.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/wkevindougherty/library/Jaeger

Kevin

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:54 AM »
Nice!
Do you have a face on picture of the lock?

Is this a smooth bore?  Caliber?

It is rifled about .62 caliber
I'll post a pic of the lock a head on view of the bore

Kevin

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 03:14:49 AM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:54:31 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
Thanks. Real nice lock. You got a great study piece there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
Nice gun. Chris Immel would know all about it but he hasn't been around for a couple years. I'll have to thumb through a few books to figure out what you have.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »
Thanks. Real nice lock. You got a great study piece there.
Rich,
I have yet to remove the lock so I can look at the inletting and also try to determine if the lock and it's components are all original to the gun.
I'll post my theories when I get it appart.

Mike, any information or identification you find would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 11:05:58 PM »
Very nice, I have not seen many guns of this type with the ornate barrel bands. Could this have come from the area where Germany borders Italy?

Hungry Horse

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »
Very nice, I have not seen many guns of this type with the ornate barrel bands. Could this have come from the area where Germany borders Italy?

Hungry Horse

I have no idea of its place of origin other than assuming German. The rear band is a rear sight I've seen some nice tang sights on Jaegers and I've seen nice barrel bands on other guns, but this really got my attention. I did examine it pretty closely to see if it was a "repair" band but it does no appear to be one, the stock is solid above and below the band. I was surprised to see that it is not pinned either. I have not, nor do I intend to try and remove it. Too bad cause I'd really like to see the bottom of the barrel and it's inlet.
Kevin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »

Hungry Horse
I have an original 1/2 stock boar gun with a barrel band just about like that one. Pretty common in certain areas, I just can't re,member where those areas are.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:02 AM »
Burnt,that's a nice early boar rifle. By the lock I would estimate 1750 -60 period. Flat locks were the style in the pre 1750s perio & then the "rondez ala mode" plates became popular. However some French style locks were used to the end of the 18th century. I have a rifle like that in my collection, two piece butt plate, barrel band, ect. They seem to come from Bavaria, I can't give you a city. You should have no problem removing the barrel band.
  Could you post a better picture of the barrel band sight?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:19:41 PM by Stan »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 01:59:25 AM »
That lock looks a lot like the Davis Early Colonial 1 screw lock.  Nice to see an original.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 05:59:32 AM »
  Could you post a better picture of the barrel band sight?
Best I have so far, taken from the cheek side tang to the right, muzzle to the left.

Kevin