Author Topic: Candle Lantern  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Candle Lantern
« on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
Here is a candle lantern I recently made.  I saw some pictures of an antique one and thought it looked like a fun project. It is made from recycled walnut that my Grandma purchased in the 1930’s.  She bought salvaged walnut doors, paneling, and etcetera from an 1870’s hotel that was being torn down to build an addition on her house.  Now some 85 years later I’m down to the last scraps.

The construction is pretty neat in that it is held together with cotter pins so that it can be broken down and uses simple snipe hinges for the door. The original used tin but I had some copper roof sheathing so I used that. Looks nice with the walnut. My copper candle cup is pretty crude but it was my first attempt at that kind of work.
I’ve no idea what age the original was. Anyone have an idea what period these date to?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:01:52 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline snrub47

Re: Candle Lantern
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Very very nice...............more photos...Thanks

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Very nice workmanship -- great look also ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »
Really NICE.  I love stuff like that.  When were they in use?  or made?   No claims of being an authority but the common kerosene lantern we know today was basically a product of the late 1840's and a variety of oils were used for centuries prior to that.  I tend to think the thing that defines these lanterns is first, the glass and secondly the candle.  So connect the availability of glass similar to that which is mostly seen and then the use of candles.  It seems that they were frequently made to be able to be taken apart for transport but I also see it as a consequence of "fasteners" that may have not been available where they were made.  I see them offered as "antiques" and labeled as being from mid 1700 right up to the middle of the 19th century.

Of course when was the "computer" invented?  Maybe around 1940??

Well how about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

So in reality my view is that a lantern like that was made and used during a period when it was needed by someone who needed it.  Might have been 1700.  Might have been 1900.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
A few years back I made a virtually identical lantern, except not nearly as nice, also using reclaimed (Hipster for "stuff I pulled out of the trash at work") hickory and pine, glass, and steel, with the exception of the hinges and dowels holding it together. I never posted it here because I never intended it as a replica of an original. I just needed a way of carrying a candle around the house during power outages, and being me I just went old-school without really looking into what might be commercially available....

Two things for anyone thinking about building one of these themselves

1) If you want to carry the lantern around while it is lit, I strongly recommend that you make one with a door and a heat shield, such as this one, rather than the style with a hole in the top and a sliding candle-holder. I bought my sister one of the latter style kits that Track of the Wolf sells, and she says that while it works fine as a stationary light the heat coming up off the candle will burn your knuckles if you grab it by the handle. The heat shield on mine gets surprisingly hot, so I believe her...

2) I made mine with an internal height of 12", for an overall height of around 16" excluding the handle. Originals tend to be in the 9-10" range, I recall. My monster lantern is rather heavy and unwieldy (glass is heavy stuff!), and if I were doing it again I'd stick with the original dimensions.

Molly,

I've seen this style of lantern referred to as a "barn lantern" which makes sense - these are about the simplest types of candle lantern out there and do fit the role of a basic utility light. Nicer types were made of tin, such this one:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WBTZ8Dxmfwg/VRMOtevijoI/AAAAAAAARhs/-aV8bkgUORc/s1600/Blog%2B2015%2B-%2B03-27%2B006.JPG.  That is one of the "two by land" lanterns hung up in the Old North Church as part of Revere's ride, BTW.

It seems that they were frequently made to be able to be taken apart for transport but I also see it as a consequence of "fasteners" that may have not been available where they were made.

Anybody with the tools and skills to make the top and side pieces could make pegs to hold it together, or even design it so as to use dovetails. The originals of this design usually do use wooden pegs, I think. Glass and the candleholder, hinges, handle, etc., would be harder to get than any fastener, so I think it is just that this design is the simplest and easiest to construct, and therefore the cheapest available...

There are some wooden lanterns that use a different style of construction, something like a wooden version of the tin one linked above. I suspect that if someone really wanted to dig down into the subject, comparisons between the various surviving wooden lanterns and tin lanterns, the construction methods used in other wooden objects of known dates, architectural features, etc., would help establish a firmer timeline for these lanterns. I vaguely remember seeing an example of the box-type wooden lantern with a domed roof and horn panes instead of glass that was said to be a late-18th century lighthouse-keeper's lantern, and there is box type with a box-type lantern without a door shown in Kettell's Pine Furniture of Early New England that displays architectural details that might indicate a 17th century date, so my own guess is that the box types are earlier and the through-tennon type such as the one shown date sometime in the 19th century, but it is just a guess.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:23:26 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Thanks all for the comments. It was a fun project. Mine is about 11 inches inside dimension and for the candles I use that is more than enough, could be an inch shorter. And yes, the heat shield gets surprisingly hot. It is definitely needed.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Smoketown

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

I vaguely remember seeing an example of the box-type wooden lantern with a domed roof and horn panes instead of glass that was said to be a late-18th century lighthouse-keeper's lantern, and there is box type with a box-type lantern without a door shown in Kettell's Pine Furniture of Early New England that displays architectural details that might indicate a 17th century date, so my own guess is that the box types are earlier and the through-tennon type such as the one shown date sometime in the 19th century, but it is just a guess.

Aye 'tis a "Lanthorne"

The definition of a lanthorn is an old British word that is defined as lantern. An example of a lanthorn is a portable lighting device which was made with reflectors which were made from translucent sheets of horn.

More info here - http://www.hornguild.org/

Their show is coming up soon too! - http://www.hornguild.org/upcoming-events/march-3-4-2017-21st-annual-meeting-at-the-ahec-in-carlisle-pennsylvania/

Good stuff !!   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

mountain~plains

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »
Some fine craftsmanship there and interesting that it is made of reclaimed wood of a 19th century hotel.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:55:45 AM »
Very cool.  It would be neat if the candle holder/cup were square, with a lip on two sides that would slide into a groove on the inside bottom horizontals, so that when the door is closed, the whole tray and candle cannot fall over or slide around inside.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
Bones - that's a great idea.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana