Author Topic: Clean Shot BP "Substitute"  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Molly

Clean Shot BP "Substitute"
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:37 AM »
I know an person who has a case of this stuff from years ago.  In plastic containers unopened and sealed.  From what I am reading it was a dud of a product.  Anyone have a different view?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Clean Shot BP "Substitute"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:19:42 AM »
Mad Monk is the local authority. 

I'd pour it all in a pile and have a party and light it up.  But then I have good access to black powder.
Hold to the Wind

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »
I have a friend that tried a pound of it an he hated it. I think he ended up pouring most of it out. I myself have never shot anything but black in my over 35 yrs of this sport so I cant say personally
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
It eats guns alive. I don't believe it has much of a shelf life either.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Seems like it's a confirmation that the stuff is no good.  The  maker is also out of business and has been for a while.  Nothing  like the real stuff!!

Thanks!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Pour all of it in a pile with a long trail up to it. Light it up and if it all burns up it's ok for making pile fires.  ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
I've never used anything but black, myself; I don't trust any of the subs.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
Clean Shot is a bit old by now.  That was another in a long line of powders based on the use of ascorbic acid.  In my patched ball guns I found it to be weaker than BP.  In my .50 when I went over 100 grains to try and get some velocity it actually lost velocity.

Clean Shot was one of the ascorbic acid powders that did not use potassium perchlorate to speed up the burning so it would be minimally corrosive in the gun.  Most of these ascorbic acid powders had chemical stability problems.  Once the grains start to clump, or stick together, in the container it will give lower velocities compared to fresh powder.

This ascorbic acid based powders that are based on a mixture of potassium nitrate and ascorbic acid are "cool burning" powders.  They produce very little heat during powder combustion.  They are more accurately gas generating compositions.  The lack of heat generation is why they are not known for higher velocities.

Clean Shot had been involved with Hodgdon over Clean Shot's pellets.  Hodgdon claimed that Clean Shot was infringing on their pellet concept patent and won in court.  So the Clean Shot company was quickly folded and reformed as American Pioneer Powder.  I should point out that Clean Shot had been formed out of the failure of Black Canyon Powder Which was an evolutionary powder out of Golden Powder.  There were several other attempts at the ascorbic acid powder concept that saw short periods of limited production or no production at all.  One of the no shows was to be called Longrifle powder.  One of the guys from that group gave up on ascorbic acid and switched over to fruit sugar and potassium nitrate which became GOEX Clear Shot.  As I joked.  If I got into it I would have made on called Cheap Shot powder.  Was always good for a few laughs at Dixons.

These ascorbic acid based powders produce only potassium carbonate as a solid product of combustion so bore fouling is little as easy to deal with.  They produce mainly carbon dioxide as a gas.  But they do produce varying amounts of water as a product  of combustion.  This can be a problem in the smaller caliber percussion ignition rifles.  After a few shots you may see enough water in the breech that prevents the ignition of subsequent charges.  With the cool burning you may see a good bit of the water produced condense in the breech.  Not enough heat to turn it to a vapor, steam, which would be carried out with the gases once the projectile leaves the muzzle.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »
Is he going to pay you to take it?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 04:54:26 AM »
The fruit sugar thing reminded me of something that happened right after I got out of the service, and before I quit drinking.   In my father-in-law's basement, my brother-in-law and I were making rocket fuel using confectioner's sugar and saltpeter.  We had half a fruit jar full, on the floor, and were testing half a teaspoon full on a metal table.  We were adjusting the proportions of the mixture.  When the test sample was lit, it threw an amazing flame and sparks everywhere.  One wayward spark landed in the jar. Flames from the jar hit the rafters and spread an impressive way across the overhead.  My father-in-law was alerted when white sweet smoke began pouring out of the heater vents.  It is hard to imagine how much chaos that half a jar of saltpeter and sugar made in about 5 seconds.  No house fire ensued.  In my own defense (I guess) It was doubtful that either Tim or I were entirely sober at the time.

I am not entirely at fault here.  Ask me about the time Tim created a steam explosion in a big smoker and blew two frozen turkeys 100 feet in the air.  I had nothing to do with that.  Although Tim might still differ with my assessment, no one was seriously injured.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
Damg frogwalking.  You are kinda like an airplane crash.   If you can walk away from it, it was a good landing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
How about trying to find a re-enacter that isn't going to worry about velocity, just bang, and smoke, and make him a deal.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »
The fruit sugar thing reminded me of something that happened right after I got out of the service, and before I quit drinking.   In my father-in-law's basement, my brother-in-law and I were making rocket fuel using confectioner's sugar and saltpeter.  We had half a fruit jar full, on the floor, and were testing half a teaspoon full on a metal table.  We were adjusting the proportions of the mixture.  When the test sample was lit, it threw an amazing flame and sparks everywhere.  One wayward spark landed in the jar. Flames from the jar hit the rafters and spread an impressive way across the overhead.  My father-in-law was alerted when white sweet smoke began pouring out of the heater vents.  It is hard to imagine how much chaos that half a jar of saltpeter and sugar made in about 5 seconds.  No house fire ensued.  In my own defense (I guess) It was doubtful that either Tim or I were entirely sober at the time.

The difference between how the sugar burns versus ascorbic acid is why the one guy from Golden powder switched over to fruit sugar in the powder.
Plants make ascorbic acid from the basic sugar molecule.  With Golden powder they mixed solutions of potassium nitrate and ascorbic acid then heated the solution in a baking dish in an oven to dry it.  The ascorbic acid also went through a heat decomposition reaction.  None of them understood what was going on in this heating and their ascorbic acid supplier was handing them a line of nonsense as to the chemical reactions going on during heating.  But the basic was that the heat was simply breaking down the ascorbic acid, giving off the OH groups the plant had tied to the sugar.  So basically they were starting with $9 a pound ascorbic acid.  Then heating it to revert it back to 50 cents a pound caramelized sugar.  Took the guy behind Clear Shot 20 years to figure that one out.  GOEX's Clear Shot came pretty close to their black powder in performance in the gun.