Author Topic: What caliber  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
What caliber
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
Stupid question but here goes.  I have always shot smoothbores so I don't know this, but what caliber is a .600 round ball. 

Coryjoe

Offline t.caster

Re: What caliber
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
I use a .600 RB in my 20 ga. smoothbore and .62 cal. Jaeger w/.020 patch.
Tom C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
That is what I was thinking it was, thanks for clearing it up.  I want to try and build a rifle one day and I want them to match.  Do you like the larger caliber rifle? 

Coryjoe

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
That is what I was thinking it was, thanks for clearing it up.  I want to try and build a rifle one day and I want them to match.  Do you like the larger caliber rifle? 

Coryjoe
Hunting rifle or offhand shooter for line shoots???

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I usually shoot off hand, hunting rifle.

Coryjoe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
.600" ball works well for smoothbore, but is too small for a .62 cal. rifle.  you need .610 - .615" ball for a rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:54:03 AM »
Stupid question but here goes.  I have always shot smoothbores so I don't know this, but what caliber is a .600 round ball. 

Coryjoe

A .600" ball is .60 calibre.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »
I usually shoot off hand, hunting rifle.

Coryjoe
I asked that since the use you will give that lady is important.  Hunting no problem; but shooting her repeatedly would pound you pretty good/bad and could certainly cause you to develop a flinch in particular if you would shoot a heavy load which the rifle would demand to be accurate.

omark

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:06 AM »
i have a 62 that i really like for hunting, but, especially on deer, i feel it is overkill. for target work i use 50 gr 2f, and have won a few shoots. so its fairly accurate. i use 100 gr for hunting. but it takes a lot of lead if target shooting. when hunting it doesnt matter that much.    FWIW   mark      :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »

Coryjoe

Rifles over 58 caliber need to be properly designed and made to make them comfortable to shoot.
Most surviving "Kentucky Rifles" stock designs are not really suited to calibers over 50-54.
Most people are far better served with a "Kentucky" of 45-54 caliber. If built as a light rifle with a typical
 American "Golden Age" longrifle stock a 62 may be a real handful if the accuracy load is 120 grains of powder or more.
I would also point out, as I am sure some here already have, that a .62 smooth bore does not shoot the same size ball as a .62 rifle if the smooth bore ball is patched. So trying to use the same ball in both may be an exercise in futility.
I have a 16 bore rifle that I LOVE. .662" ball. Best ML hunting rifle I ever owned even if its a little hard on the powder and lead supply. But its stocked as an English Sporting rifle circa 1800 and this is FAR different than the typical Kentucky stock of any period.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

[/quote]

Rifles over 58 caliber need to be properly designed and made to make them comfortable to shoot.
Most surviving "Kentucky Rifles" stock designs are not really suited to calibers over 50-54.
Most people are far better served with a "Kentucky" of 45-54 caliber. If built as a light rifle with a typical American "Golden Age" longrifle stock a 62 may be a real handful if the accuracy load is 120 grains of powder or more.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree!

I would also point out, as I am sure some here already have, that a .62 smooth bore does not shoot the same size ball as a .62 rifle if the smooth bore ball is patched. So trying to use the same ball in both may be an exercise in futility.
Dan

With this I disagree...I, and several others I know use the same ball for both, and shoot very adequately. Of course we are not National or International competitors.
Tom C.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »

With this I disagree...I, and several others I know use the same ball for both, and shoot very adequately. Of course we are not National or International competitors.

I suspect you use a small ball for both, T.Caster, thick patch in the rifle and/or a very thin patch in the smoothbore with normal sized balls? Do you wipe often?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »

I suspect you use a small ball for both, T.Caster, thick patch in the rifle and/or a very thin patch in the smoothbore with normal sized balls? Do you wipe often?
[/quote]

You guessed it. .600 rb w/.020 patch in rifle and .012 patch in smoothie. BoreButter type lube. I spitpatch wipe every 2nd or 3rd shot out of habit, wether it needs it or not. It's not something I worry about, I just do it, period. No biggie. I have never wanted to, or tried to shoot all day without wiping 'cause hard loading occurs and accuracy suffers when I do. I can give names of 3 other guys who use one ball for both barrels if you don't believe me.
I shoot my early .54 cal. Beck longrifle most the time anyway.
Tom C.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:24:50 AM »

You guessed it. .600 rb w/.020 patch in rifle and .012 patch in smoothie. BoreButter type lube. I spitpatch wipe every 2nd or 3rd shot out of habit, wether it needs it or not. It's not something I worry about, I just do it, period. No biggie. I have never wanted to, or tried to shoot all day without wiping 'cause hard loading occurs and accuracy suffers when I do. I can give names of 3 other guys who use one ball for both barrels if you don't believe me.
I shoot my early .54 cal. Beck longrifle most the time anyway.

[/quote]

I should know better than to make an absolute statement like that.  ::)
Someone ALWAYS refutes them. But I tend to shoot a .020+- patch in a .67 with a 662 ball. I am not a fan of tight fits but for *me* a 62 with a .600 is just too loose. But this is my preference.
But I have never owned a 62 so.....
I would have to at least try a larger ball just to see how it shot.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

40Haines

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 08:26:50 AM »
Hmmmm

I use a .610 bare ball with an overshot card in my Tulle.

Shoots just fine.

I use the same powder and wads as my shot load.

Keeps it a little simpler that way.

Just my 2c

Offline t.caster

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
I can also use a .610 ball for both, and have, but my Lyman mold grew over the years and now throws .614 balls.....way too tight. So out of laziness I just went back to the .600. I always thought it was cool and economical to use the same shooting bag & accessories with both guns. Simpler too.
If I went back to shooting the Jaeger in monthly competition, I would end up using .610, I am sure. But .600 is still a better fit for my 20 ga.
Tom C.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:30 PM »
I kind of like Taylor's settup- he has a different bag, horn and accouterments for every gun- that means lots of them.