Author Topic: Tinsmith ?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline t.caster

Tinsmith ?
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
Hi, I have a tin canteen that needs a new bottom. It is a Rev-war flat/kidney shaped style. I don't know the builder, as I won it as a shoot prize about 10 yrs ago. It has a stamp on the bottom of an anvil with the moniker TM inside. Anyone know who this is so I can contact him?

Btw, apparently whatever I carry in my canteen is corrosive(???), even when empty, so I have made a habit to store my canteens upside down to prevent the bottoms from corroding out. Anyone else have this problem?
This one was wax lined, not fully tinned inside like my others.
Thanks,
Tom C
Tom C.

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Tinsmith ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:25:59 AM »
My tinned canteen rusted out from the inside with a hole about halfway up on the front side. It was pitch lined and never had anything but water in it. I always stored it empty hanging upside down. I got a new copper one from Westminster Forge for Chrismas.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
I never understood the idea of lining metal with pitch or wax or what ever. One tiny little pinhole could trap the moisture and cause problems in short order.
Psalms 144

Smoketown

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
They're typically lined because, any liquid the isn't ph neutral will eat away a metal container.    :'(

Dis-similar metals will also start up their own reaction(s).   >:(

A 'period correct' repair would either be to "lead" the hole (if small) with bar solder or, solder on a patch of tin or copper.   :-X

Another fix would be to apply a 'temporary' patch held on with beeswax, pitch or tar. 

Many reenactors are going to 'stainless steel' canteens and cups that are brushed to look like 'tinware' for that very reason ... CORROSION.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »

Many reenactors are going to 'stainless steel' canteens and cups that are brushed to look like 'tinware' for that very reason ... CORROSION.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Actually many reenactors are going to stainless for multiple reasons. It's easier to find than properly tinned ironware. It's cheaper than the correct stuff. And it takes less effort to maintain than ironware.

Properly tinned ironware is a bit more rust resistant than the electroplated "tin", and I've got several pieces laying around that have not a speck of rust on them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:54:52 PM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
 Tom, it took me awhile to find this guys, Ron, card, he is a Tin/Coppersmith out of Ky. I gave him a call and he seems to think he can do the repair for you but will have to see the piece. Anyway here is a link to his site, with a Phone number on it.
 We have bought a couple of large copper pieces from him, it is very well made.

http://stumpblufftradingpost.com/

Tim C.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
For reproductions of historical tin items I would take a look at " www.hotdiptin.com "
Good stuff.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
Those links are good sources! By the time I ship this one out of state and get it repaired and returned($$$)....maybe I will just buy a new one instead.
Tom C.