Author Topic: Note Truelock  (Read 2321 times)

Online Stoner creek

Note Truelock
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:51:12 AM »
I picked up a nice 70s vintage Bedford County gun signed on the top of the barrel Note T.  Does anybody out there have any recollections of Note Truelock? This gun was made in 1971-1973. It's a very well executed piece of work. Typical for the time it had a Russ Hamm lock and what appears to be a Douglas.45 x 7/8" x 42" barrel.
Any feedback would be great!
Thanks!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Note Truelock
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:35:04 AM »
I think at that time that was the only Bedford lock on the market. A friend has a Bedford built about that time that had one of these early Hamm Bedford locks in it. We had to put new works on the old plate when he wore the Hamm internals out. It was not an easy job. His gun has a Paris OTR barrel in it. I don't think there were many, if any, barrel manufacturers doing swamped barrels back then.

Hungry Horse

boman

Re: Note Truelock
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
Note trulock was one of the first gunsmiths I met when I was still in highschool in the middle 60's. He and Joe Wheeler (Joe had one heck of a collection of brromhanfdle mausers) ran a general gunsmithing shop on Keystone Ave. here in Indianapolis. I still live about 3 miles from the location.  sometime in the late 60's Note opened his own shop in his garage in Lebanon Indiana.  His was mostly a muzzloaders shop and that is where I bought my first parts(1971) for a longrifle(pecatonia precarved, siler lock and douglass barrel which I never finished :). i don't know how many rifles he built but he did always have several in different stages of completion when I was in the shop if I recall. I remember seeing him a couple times in the 80's but after that lost track of him. I do know his son ran the shop for awhile after he died and may still be alive in Lebanon Indiana or at least some grandchildren may be around. Ha! :) man that was a long time ago and this old horse has traveled many trails since then.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:17:19 PM by boman »