Author Topic: How many shoot black powder?  (Read 9100 times)

Offline Bill Raby

How many shoot black powder?
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
   At the shooting range I go to I never see anyone shooting black powder guns. Me and my dad are just about the only ones. Only twice last summer did I see anyone else there shooting black powder. Both were those modern inline guns. I have never seen anyone else there with a traditional rifle. Even when they had the cowboy action shoot it was all cartridge guns. I would have expected to at least see a cap and ball revolver. Is it like this everywhere or just where I have been going? I realize that the traditional muzzleloader guys are a small part of the gun people, but last time I saw someone else shooting a flintlock at any shooting range was 20 years ago. It can't be like this everywhere.

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: How many shoot black powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:49:16 AM »
My experience pretty much matches yours.   I'm the only bp shooter (at least only one I know of) in the local gun club (150 members).   I practice on that range about once per week.   To see other bp shooters, I have to drive a couple of hours to another range when a nearby muzzleloading club is holding a monthly match.    No doubt there are ranges somewhere (if I had to guess where, I'd guess closer to Friendship Indiana)  where traditional muzzleloading guns show up on a more regular basis.   

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:56:08 AM »
Bill, I don't know where you are located in Min. but there are several ML clubs through out the state. You can also check the NMLRA mag. Muzzle Blasts to see where organized shoots take place.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
Bill, I don't know where you are located in Min. but there are several ML clubs through out the state. You can also check the NMLRA mag. Muzzle Blasts to see where organized shoots take place.

I usually go to Bald Eagle Sportsman Association in Hugo, MN. Every now and then I will go somewhere in northern MN. I know that there are other people in the area. But I never see them. It does not bother me at all and I am not really interested in joining a club. It just seems like black powder shooters are pretty rare.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
We're fortunate in Pennsylvania that there has been a primitive muzzleloader season here for, oh, 50 years or so.  Because of that, at least a percentage of the hunters (maybe 5-10%) have taken up flintlock rifles.  We also have an early muzzleloader season now, which allows percussion guns and even the unmentionables, but I suspect that flintlocks are probably more popular here than almost anywhere.  That said, it's still a very small percentage overall and you're right, typically at a shooting range you wouldn't see any, although it wouldn't be shocking if you did either.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
I see a similar situation in Central Texas. Our local monthly attendance ranges from 6-15. The state shoot in The summer.  In 1981 had 200 registered now we're seeing around 40.

We need youth participation. 4H shooting has a lot of participants in small ore and shotgun but that's because of parents interest.  We had a group shooting NRA Youth Hunter Education Challenge for 12-18 that has 4 shooting (including ML) and 4 non shooting competitions in Texas as well as national and international. When at Whittington Cyrus in 2015 they were preparing for nationals.  I plan to attend some 4-H smallbore and shotgun practices and take MLs w me.  May spur some interest.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
At most places, you don't have to be a club member to shoot in their annual matches. It helps the clubs out and gives you a chance to shoot with other like minded folks.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 05:47:06 PM »
   At the shooting range I go to I never see anyone shooting black powder guns. Me and my dad are just about the only ones. Only twice last summer did I see anyone else there shooting black powder. Both were those modern inline guns. I have never seen anyone else there with a traditional rifle. Even when they had the cowboy action shoot it was all cartridge guns. I would have expected to at least see a cap and ball revolver. Is it like this everywhere or just where I have been going? I realize that the traditional muzzleloader guys are a small part of the gun people, but last time I saw someone else shooting a flintlock at any shooting range was 20 years ago. It can't be like this everywhere.

Depends on where you shoot - where you are.

In 45 years shooting black powder rifles, ctg and ML, only once have I seen an inline - it was a TC and the guy had multiple barrels, fired 2 shots out of it, barely had them on the paper then changed barrels again.

We used to shoot every Sunday - on the BP trail.  That happens less often now that a 'strong BP proponent' has moved form this area. Hatchet Jack used to shoot twice a week, EVERY week., Sunday and Monday.
That is what he did, a mild mannered (arguable) tattoo artist through the week, flintlock shooting Sunday and Monday, from about 8AM until he was finished.  Ross used to call many of us most every Friday evening or Saturday morning to remind us of shooting the Trail on Sunday. Now that he has moved, we don't get out as much.  I used to go though 25 pounds of powder a year when doing that - lots of times, just Ross and I shooting. Other times, as many as 8 or 9 or maybe 14 on NY Day, eve at -14 like this year - again.
n
The only time we shot on the regular range was usually only me when testing loads.  The last few times, Taylor and I have been out at the 1,000meter range and couple times, there have been others there shooting modern guns, but that's it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
At the local club where I'm a member there are easily 1000 or more members.  It's not as bad as it sounds because many either almost never show up there or very rarely show up.  I have to shoot during the week and have had the rifle range to myself on some occasions.  I only recall 4 BP shooters being at the range.  One just bought a Lyman GPR, another fired a number of old, and fascinating, cartridge guns.  One shooter I've only seen a couple of times and he builds his own rifle(s).  one other I've seen just once with a nice flintlock.  I met and talked with all of them at length and traded shots with our guns.  The rest, still just a handful, shoot subs and sabots in their unmentionables.  Luckily, my best friend here is a rabid flint man just like me and we shoot and hunt at his place.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:45:03 AM »
How many shoot black powder, you ask.  easily answered.

Those who shoot black powder buy it by the case because they are shooters.

Those who buy one can at a time and gripe about the price are not shooters.  They're the ones who end up buying a can of BP substitute and then fabricate all kinds of excuses for doing so.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 01:54:07 AM »
T.O.F. makes a strong argument for joining a club as most clubs can get powder by the case lots thus saving on the cost of the good stuff instead of going to a sporting goods store and buying the fake stuff. There isn't any good reason to buy fake when the real stuff can be had. IMHO

Offline ScottH

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »
I live in Spokane WA.
I belong to the local rifle club which probably has over 1500 members.
We have a muzzleloader group, they get the 50/100 yard range one sunday per month and they are flintlock or sidelock only "no in-lines"! There are, I think 16 lanes on the 50/100 yard range and on the sunday they shoot, all lanes are in use.
Lots of smoke!  ;)

Offline Steve-ALA

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:39 AM »
[qu

Those who buy one can at a time and gripe about the price are not shooters.  They're the ones who end up buying a can of BP substitute and then fabricate all kinds of excuses for doing so.
[/quote]

Well I buy powder one can at a time.  And I do complain how the price has gone up.  And I don't shoot as much as I'd like, BUT when I Do shoot long guns, I shoot FLINTLOCK ONLY.  I also shoot my TC Patriot.  Some of us just don't get to shoot as often as other but love as much as those who do.

Offline horsetrader

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:26 AM »
I belong to a club, not many BP shooters. Three of us (retired) get together almost every Thursday and shoot. We also have a morning paper shoot and afternoon woods walk once a month. We generally buy Black Powder by the case and split it up. None of the young shooters show much interest.
Ed Radzinski

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
Our club, and a few others throughout British Columbia and the rest of western
Canada, have a black powder section within their rod and gun clubs.  There are generally from a half dozen to around twenty shooters at local clubs, but we all get together once a year for the BC Rendzvous - 10 days of shooting and fun.  During the remainder of the year, speaking of our own club specifically, we try to get together every sunday for our trail walk, or sometimes to set up a trap and shoot flying.  There should be someone in a club who has interest enough to try to organize the shooters who are likely to enjoy the cameraderie and completion.  Good weather goes a long way to making that happen.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »
Our sportsman's club just put on it's 38th annual egg shoot - blackpowder, patched roundball shoot this weekend. It was a pretty good draw this year - close to 80 shooters.  125 chickens to be awarded.  I was able to get two before they were all gone.  The warmer weather brought out a lot of shooters this year. Last year was about 60 or so shooters - I was able to win three chickens last year.  This was my brother in law's first year attending - he won a chicken, which isn't bad he hasn't shot his TC renegade in at least four years. A young lady that works where I work - this is her first year and she won a chicken as well. She became a member of our club this year after shooting the summer black powder league and the our winter league going on now.

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
I avoid gun range shooting. Its just not for me--it costs money and I am a cheap skate. I have spent most of my life in rural areas where there have been plenty of places to shoot for free close by. Now saying that, I just attended a small local IDPA match where there was an entry fee and had a great time and plan on doing it 4 times a year to keep familiar with my modern home protection side arm. I just can't afford to do it more frequently, and honestly I get bored at the range no matter what I am shooting. Practice is essential, but I'd rather spend more time practicing in the woods.
Galations 2:20

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
I only go to ranges for competitions, and that's been a while.  Also, the local public range is a disgrace.  About every other cowboy out here has his own "range" and some even with sheltered firing positions and substantial backstops.  I shoot in my woods.

Black powder all the time since I finished my first longrifle.

If I had time to kill and wanted to stretch it out further than I can in my woods, and knew of a better range than the sorry butt place on Doolittle, I MIGHT be inclined to go to a public range, just for the opportunity to "enlighten" some shooters.  But then, I get distracted/annoyed by the constant pop-pop-poppin' of the majority of modern gun shooters-and I hear enough of that every sunny weekend from all the hills around (all private).  Takes all kinds yo.  And ranges are the most likely places for true accidents. Be careful out there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:22:04 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
While some answers here went to shooting actual black powder vs black powder substitutes, the OP was asking what percentage of shooters are shooting muzzleloaders vs modern cartridge guns.  It is a small percentage of shooters with traditional MLs for sure.  Like others, I usually shoot on my own range on my family's land or on a range that is muzzleloaders only (when I visit the Log Cabin Shop), so I don't share ranges with modern guns.  Most of my close friends and family only own modern unmentionable MLs that they take out once a year during the muzzleloading deer season...though they are all wowed by my flintlocks and think they are pretty cool, none have developed enough interest to spend money and take the plunge.
Jerry

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
I lived for many years in a rural area where I could shoot to my hearts content.  There's no comparison, that's true.  But now I either shoot at a range or drive an hour to a place where I can shoot in peace.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
At the shooting range I go to I never see anyone shooting black powder guns.
The whole point is that BP shooters don't go to public ranges to shoot......unless the range has dedicated tables for ML's.  You need a place to set up your stuff, lean your gun while loading, etc.  Most ranges officers aren't knowledgeable on ML's and they end up hassling you because you break their cartridge rules and many try to discourage you by making it hard to shoot.  They don't like big clouds of smoke drifting past when they are using their scopes.  They don't like the smell.  They want you to shoot paper targets instead of gongs or hangers.  They just aren't set up for us.

That's why we either shoot out in the woods or go to the monthly shoots that clubs put on.  Then everyone is on the same page.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
   At the shooting range I go to I never see anyone shooting black powder guns. Me and my dad are just about the only ones. Only twice last summer did I see anyone else there shooting black powder.(once in 45 years) Both were those modern inline guns(yes). I have never seen anyone else there with a traditional rifle(just my bro). Even when they had the cowboy action shoot it was all cartridge guns(+ cap 'n ball- my bro). I would have expected to at least see a cap and ball revolver. Is it like this everywhere or just where I have been going? I realize that the traditional muzzleloader guys are a small part of the gun people, but last time I saw someone else shooting a flintlock at any shooting range was 20 years ago. It can't be like this everywhere.

further - our BP section has about 8 or so who shoot fairly regularly. Some only show up at rendezvous, which we have every year in June or July. The big one is Hefley Creek, North of Kamloops,  as Taylor noted.  W/135 camps that sort of thing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline draken

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »
There are at least two black powder clubs in Western New York State.  the Alabama Hunt Club is one, and  is NMLRA Certified and listed in  Muzzle Blasts.   I can't remember the name of other club.
During the time I was a member of that club some 30 years ago there were as many Flintlocks as there were Percussion guns, the Flintlocks built by members as well as professionals. 
There must be other forum members here familiar with this  club and maybe they'll chime in.

Dick
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
Another club in western NY is Little Beards Club, base in Fowlerville. They used to have shoots but I haven't heard of one being held in years. Too bad I miss them.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »
Bill ......it is like that everywhere..
The black powder crowd does not like to be around the spray and pray crowd period.
Its one of the reasons we love this so much.slower more  relaxed .
I buy powder by the case because I love to shoot.I can shoot more because I buy powder by the case.
prefer my private range over public...most here do.
Don't expect to see many black powder shooters .....we do our own thing.
Join a club..do a woods walk attend an event..you'll be in like minded company.
Good luck and good shooting.

snap shot from a video I took. Sunny no wind 10 deg. f

Sasquatch goes Traditional....

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:49:54 AM by WaterFowl »