Author Topic: How many shoot black powder?  (Read 9125 times)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: How many shoot black powder?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
don't worry about shooting bp at your range solo. Just do it and have fun! K
Galations 2:20

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
Bill ......it is like that everywhere..
The black powder crowd does not like to be around the spray and pray crowd period.
Its one of the reasons we love this so much.slower more  relaxed .
I buy powder by the case because I love to shoot.I can shoot more because I buy powder by the case.
prefer my private range over public...most here do.
Don't expect to see many black powder shooters .....we do our own thing.
Join a club..do a woods walk attend an event..you'll be in like minded company.
Good luck and good shooting.

snap shot from a video I took. Sunny no wind 10 deg. f

Sasquatch goes Traditional....

I would love to have my own private range. But I live in the suburbs and have a job in the city. I buy powder a few pounds at a time because saturday is the only chance I have to go shooting. My dad is hooked on the black powder also and always wants to go along to the shooting range. So I figure I got the like minded company part taken care of good enough.

The spray and pray crowd never really bothered me. I used to be one of them. The public ranges do have the good parts to them. Most people there have never seen a traditional flintlock before and have no idea how they work. I always get lots of questions. Most people seem to be quite interested in it. Its never long before half the people there are talking about history. Usually a couple people ask to give it a try. But then I am just as happy to be the only one there.

Offline draken

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
Another club in western NY is Little Beards Club, base in Fowlerville. They used to have shoots but I haven't heard of one being held in years. Too bad I miss them.
Robin

I forgot about Little Beard's club. Several of their members always competed in the Alabama club's Spring and Fall shoot.  So if  Little Beard's Club and Joahille (sp) Moore's in Forestville, NY are still active there  would be three black powder clubs.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
Bill, you and I both get lots of attention from shooters at the range.  I always have an open invitation to anyone who would like to try some shots with my flintlock.  I don't know if any of it sticks but they always seem surprised at the speed and accuracy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »
Bill that,s all well and good....btdt
 found I was doing more show and tell than shooting..
 really enjoy the shooting aspect...and do not need distractions loading..etc.
Not one person has come to the dark side because of my introductions at the range.
And there have been many...
I'm sure my tune will change shortly after retirement when there's  much more  time to relax and shoot.
I may go back to the local club mid week mid days...And think about the working world and smile.
Your lucky to have a shooting buddy..Good luck and good shooting..

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
Not much difference in Jasper, IN.  We're about 3 hours from Friendship, but, there are a few of us BP shooters, but to actually see someone at the shooting range is rare unless there is a competition.  There used to be a few BP guys getting together on Sunday mornings for a Meat shoot, but most of them are older now.  That was about 20 years ago.  Most of us in that area don't have to go to a range because we all live on or around farm land.  Only a few guys that live in town actually go to the range.  I got interested in 4H shooting sports.  They still meet on Thursday nights in the Spring.   In that respect, it is alive and well and there are a few diehards in the area, you just don't see them much.  Marvin Kemper was a classmate with my uncle and I ran around with some of Cornell's great-grandchildren.   :-X :-X :-X

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »
Please comply with ALR rules of discussion and not get into modern guns or guns other than ML sidelocks. If you have not read ALR rules please read them here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=42270.0
Thanks
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:50:12 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
And just how many people on this site do NOT shoot black powder????

I began in 1954 with Grampa's 20 gauge single bbl shotgun, pound of du Pont available to teenagers for 75 cents. Interest now declining, possibly related to that daggone date on my driver's license. Have couple of rifles, last year did buy an old Navy Arms Zuoave with perfect bore, crummy stock. Yeah, I'm a-gonna shoot it this year. Useful .58 thread on this site.

Public ranges can be fun occasionally, depending upon your idea of humor.

That because most guys there are absolutely horrible shots.

Even a mediocre guy like me used to irritate them by out-shooting them, offhand with a flintlock, no scope.

Heh, heh.

Qball

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
I started shooting Cowboy action here in Sweden thinking it was for black powder shooters   ;)

I also have a few muzzle loading Swedish made Lodbössor to. Competed in blackpowder matches
with my Pedersoli BrownBess and my love to flintlocks started there.

Hoping to build me a Kentucky/Pennsylvania flint lock soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:07:34 PM by Qball »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Qball.  :)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Qball

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »
Thank you sir  :)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
Welcome Qball!! 

How about a few pics of your rifle when you finish?

Offline hatman

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »
I started shooting Cowboy action here in Sweden thinking it was for black powder shooters   ;)

I also have a few muzzle loading Swedish made Lodbössor to. Competed in blackpowder matches

Hi Qball,
Welcome and I'd like to hear more about your experiences with shooting muzzleloaders in Sweden.

Qball

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »

Hi Qball,
Welcome and I'd like to hear more about your experiences with shooting muzzleloaders in Sweden.

Thank you Sir, this build is a slow build. But as soon i start tinkering with it (not just gathering parts) photos will be taken.
Today i only have a few Swedish made small caliber "Lobössor) (squirrel rifle)

The shooting part is i guess basicly the same as in US, but laws are quite different.