Author Topic: I can't see  (Read 12773 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: I can't see
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:30 PM »
That is good news, Taylor.  The best - after lense replacement - prognosis I got was 20/25.  I don't really think I quite have it that good.  I use 1.25 reading glasses that allows me to at least see the front sight, which is the important thing to me.  But I can only see a vague target even with contrasting colors.  The most problematic thing for me is the floaters.  I have a couple of large ones and a "bee" swarm of bitsy ones; they have me frustrated to say the least.  I've even started learning to aim by using my sense of smell!  :o
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline taco650

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Guess you could always mount a scope on it...

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

At 54 years old, I'm getting to that point myself.  I can still get my no-line bifocals to line up my sights ok at 50 yards but 100 is more mysterious LOL! 

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 07:01:04 PM »
77 and still shooting open sights.  Have had cataract surgery, need reading glasses but no other,

I take my flinter to the optometrist and go outside, sight at some object about 125 yds.  He uses the old hand held adjuster that has lenses that he replaces until the sight clear up. THEN I have a pair of shooting lenses put into frames with the top 2/3rds the prescription.

A friend went to him and had the same thing done.  He did not go outside just sighted in the exam room!  His sights are perfect at about 20 feet. 
You need to make sure the prescription is for about 125 yds.

Sometimes you can take a rear sight and double back tape it to the barrel, move it forward until sight picture is clear at about 125 yds.  Cut a new sight slot. Enjoy clear sighting.  Have seen rifles with at least 4 slots, that would be a one rifle shooter.

Carney

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 10:18:46 PM »
I don't care about seeing the rear sight or the target clearly; but the front sight must be clean for me to shoot with any accuracy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 04:30:13 AM »
That is good news, Taylor.  The best - after lense replacement - prognosis I got was 20/25.  I don't really think I quite have it that good.  I use 1.25 reading glasses that allows me to at least see the front sight, which is the important thing to me.  But I can only see a vague target even with contrasting colors.  The most problematic thing for me is the floaters.  I have a couple of large ones and a "bee" swarm of bitsy ones; they have me frustrated to say the least.  I've even started learning to aim by using my sense of smell!  :o

Good news for him - I was starting to think he was mortal afterall, when  shooting against him with his failing eyesight - after the "FIX"- he'd likely to be immortal again.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 11:34:32 PM »
Glad they can fix you up, Taylor.  Should be good for another 30 years or do. 
Andover, Vermont

wet willy

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:20 AM »
Like #53 response above, the critical factor is seeing the front sight crisp & clear. Cataract surgery, Lasik, PRK,  apertures, tape w/pinholes etc. aside.

(I shot at some considerable distance where fog/rain/mist almost obscured the B & W target. Coach said hold on the darkest part of the blur ... I did, and others also, scores were admirable. That taught me a lesson!)

So if I shoot NMLRA musket, for example, want the front sight blade crisp, OK that the target & rear sight fuzzy. Yes, rules allows a small hole in the rear sight leaf, but it is too far away to help me much.

Keep tinkering with reading spectacles of various strengths (diopters), they are an inexpensive alternative.  But be certain to see an ophthalmologist to catch glaucoma, cataracts, mac deg, that no spectacles can ever fix.