Author Topic: First Woods Walk  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Ray Settanta

First Woods Walk
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Went on my first Woods Walk the other day. It was a lot of fun and a good learning experience. My physical problems, (bad shoulder, back, diabetes and age) could have meant that I would not have been able to indulge in this sport. So I accomplished two things. I was able to do it physically and to see the sights and the targets. I even hit a few! What was really interesting was that it started to rain about halfway through and during the last two stages was a heavy downpour. The rifle was soaking wet and the ramrod was so slick it was difficult to use. But the rifle continued to fire. Someone with a Hawken style rifle had to drop out because of misfires but everyone else in my group, including two flintlock shooters had no problems. I learned a lot and am looking forward to the next one in November.

Offline Daryl

Re: First Woods Walk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Good report, Ray.  Shooting doesn't get much better than when 'done' with kindred spirits.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
You're right! The pot luck supper afterwards and the people at the shoot were outstanding as well.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Congrats Ray, now you're hooked!
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Yeah, I am. Now I have to make a light rifle that is bigger than .32 caliber. The .32 did not work well on the distant metal targets. The scorer could not tell if they were hit or not.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
I've found with some of our targets, even a .40 RB will result in the odd 'lost' point due to no one

seeing or hearing it 'plink' on one of the thicker plates. 

Too, the older the judges get,  not only visual but hearing problems compounded by ear plugs,

will likely frustrate those who shoot .32's and .36's in contests, due to lost points.

Shooting paper of course, negates much of this sort of trouble, however also brings up another problem,

that with scoring.  Knowing what you are looking at, comes from experience & instruction. Those who have

competed at the National Level and received training, make better scorers due to gained knowledge of scoring.

Lost points due to poor scoring, is as nasty an experience as losing them due to the 'judges' failure to hear the hit. 

As an example, this is a 10 shot group from a bench-rest, at 50yards.

There are only 5 quickly identifiable holes or partial holes made by the balls, not 10 as were actually fired. A closer

study of this target will reveal 2 more ball cuts due to elongation of the bottom and top right ball cuts.

Placing a round ball in those holes and lifting the target up, easily makes this easily observed.

images shares
Daryl

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:02 PM »
I would suggest a .40, or .45 cal. I am particularly fond of .40 cal. With a 1in 48” twist.

Hungry Horse

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:24 AM »
I agree Daryl.  Scoring and getting it right for all shooters involved is a constant problem.  Sometimes as simple as is this a 10 or a 10X score which could decide a match.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:40 AM »
I've only been on a couple of woods walks but they are mucho fun!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:55 AM »
Spot - hanshi - our trail was is a LOT of fun! You are all welcome to come shoot it with us.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
Spot - hanshi - our trail was is a LOT of fun! You are all welcome to come shoot it with us.

From Va that's a little far; but we are preparing a move to Maine, maybe next year.  Thanks.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.