Author Topic: Love them there antiques  (Read 4673 times)

Offline JCKelly

Love them there antiques
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:53:03 PM »
This barrel was said to have been used to fire a blank salute at Friendship a few decades back. It is about 0.26 caliber, 6 groove and 15/16" across flats. The breech threads are for a 1/2" dia plug. I counted 11 threads over the 1/2" long threaded breech.
Look at the breech end, where you will see a little greenish patch, about 5/16" long, going through the barrel.
This was some manner of seam in the original barrel, which had been brazed shut. Now brass does not rust, but it sure can turn into a green mush with enough years and with sulphur to boot.
The shooter was not harmed. No report on condition of his clothing.

I enjoyed shooting original guns with hand forged barrels, back when I was young & Immortal. 

Offline T*O*F

Re: Love them there antiques
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:06:35 AM »
It's supposed to be that way.  It's one of those new fangled break-open actions.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:16:39 AM »
And we still get folks posting "should I shoot this old fossil" ::)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:16 AM »
I bet you could bend everything back and slap some JB weld on it and put it back in service.  ;)
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
I bet you could bend everything back and slap some JB weld on it and put it back in service.  ;)

Super glue and worm drive stainless steel hose clamps will restore it to "new". ;D

Bob Roller

Smoketown

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »

Super glue and worm drive stainless steel hose clamps will restore it to "new". ;D

Bob Roller

I prefer the term 'Jubilee Clip' ... I just sounds so much more elegant ...  ;D

The inletting may be a bit of a bugger.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:36:19 PM »
A good rawhide wrap will fix it right up.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:58:44 AM »
That rawhide comment reminded me of a "collection" a friend inherited from an uncle, that spent a lot of time in South America back in the fifties. The "collection" consisted of seven or eight cheap imported shotguns, commonly called monkey guns, that had been used by the natives for many, many years before he got them. All were about 28 gauge, all but one was single barreled, and all had numerous field repairs. Radiator clamps, Spam can material, baling wire, and rawhide, all had found its way onto these cheap little guns. The one that made my hair stand up, had blown the nipple out of the barrel. The owner had glued it back in with a wad of chicle, and wrapped it with a piece of untamed monkey hide with a hole just big enough for the top of the nipple to  peak through and accept the percussion cap. They all had a cross carved into them somewhere, and I always pondered which saint was the saint of gun repairs.

Hungry Horse

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
You can fix anything with Duct tape and bailing wire .

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
That rawhide comment reminded me of a "collection" a friend inherited from an uncle, that spent a lot of time in South America back in the fifties. The "collection" consisted of seven or eight cheap imported shotguns, commonly called monkey guns, that had been used by the natives for many, many years before he got them. All were about 28 gauge, all but one was single barreled, and all had numerous field repairs. Radiator clamps, Spam can material, baling wire, and rawhide, all had found its way onto these cheap little guns. The one that made my hair stand up, had blown the nipple out of the barrel. The owner had glued it back in with a wad of chicle, and wrapped it with a piece of untamed monkey hide with a hole just big enough for the top of the nipple to  peak through and accept the percussion cap. They all had a cross carved into them somewhere, and I always pondered which saint was the saint of gun repairs.

Hungry Horse
If I'm shootin those things I'd have more than one cross carved into it.Better have more than one saint having your back also ;D

ron w

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »

Hungry Horse

Jedd Clampit was a poor hillbilly of a man.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
   Always said  Mr. G protects the ignorant.  Even covered my butt a time or two!  Mike

Three balls

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »
You can fix anything with Duct tape and bailing wire .

Eddie

If you can't, you have an electrical problem!

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 01:52:47 AM »
A couple years ago while at my brother's house I had a chance to look through a book he had borrowed from a friend called Guerrilla Gunsmithing, by this fellow who goes by the name of Ragnar. All modern guns I think and I don't remember any of the techniques involved (I probably had a couple nieces crawling over me at the time), but from what little I remember it was basically a compendium of techniques for keeping ancient guns in service the author had gleaned from his time in various third-world $#*!-holes.

Hose clamps and rawhide sound about right.

Why didn't the barrel-maker just cut that back end off, I wonder?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling