Author Topic: 18th century clothing by "Colonial Needle and Thread"  (Read 5042 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
18th century clothing by "Colonial Needle and Thread"
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:01 AM »
I've been chatting with the nice lady at Colonial Needle and Thread (Penfield, NY).  I ordered a shirt, and I'm having a long waistcoat made, as well.  She seems to know her stuff, and I'm hoping the quality is good.

Furthermore, her prices seem to be very good.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever ordered anything from her.  She sells on eBay, which is where I found it. 

The waistcoat is like this one:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/262846687195?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Turkeyfoot

Re: 18th century clothing by "Colonial Needle and Thread"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:03 AM »
I have order from her in the past...and the quality of workmanship was excellent for the products I ordered!!!

Offline bones92

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »
She's making a custom waistcoat for my son, as well.  He will be so excited.  I also ordered a brown wool felt hat blank to make him a tricorn,  which should go quite nicely with the waistcoat.

Offline rollingb

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »
Do they have an online store?

thanks,
rollingb
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
Not that I know of.  She sells mainly on ebay,  I believe.   She and her husband and kids did rendezvous events for many years, and she sells hand-made items at those, too.   

Not surprisingly,  she prefers to sell direct and avoid eBay fees.  I will post her email here if she doesn't mind.

Offline rollingb

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »
Thank you bone92.

rollingb
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline bones92

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »
If anyone wants to have Mary Ann Poore make something, please contact her directly.  She does list on eBay, but obviously it saves her money when she doesn't have to pay their fees (and the fees that PayPal adds).

mpoore1@rochester.rr.com

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
The items listed by Colonial Needle look great and the feedback does as well.  Unfortunately that ebay seller does not offer returns.  I understand a custom made item might be non-returnable but a "stock" item, if it does not fit, should be something that a buyer can return or at least exchange.  I'll stick with Jas. Towsend.  Their prices are reasonable, quality of what I have got is excellent and they are easy to deal with.  Several purchases have had to be returned or exchanged as the fit was not comfortable.  There was nothing wrong with the sizing but rather confusion on what sizes should be ordered.

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
I can see where that would be an issue.  However, Mary Ann can easily make something according to your specific measurements.  Although the size XL waistcoat in the link above would probably fit okay, she's making one based on measurements that I gave her.

I have been to Jas Townsend's website often, and the quality looks good, too.   I just like to give business to the small mom-and-pop businesses whenever possible, and Mary Ann's prices are very competitive (IMHO).

nys fowler

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
Some years back I've been at camp with the Poore family.  Really nice people and quality merchandise.
Glad to see she's still in the trade.
Dan

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »
Townsend is ok for a beginner, but there are several very good sources for authentic clothing at a reasonable price. Cobb Creek does wonderful work.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
Townsend is ok for a beginner, but there are several very good sources for authentic clothing at a reasonable price. Cobb Creek does wonderful work.
Ditto on Cobb Creek.  I have several pieces of Kathy's work and the quality is over the roof.  I got to meet Kathy at Ft. Frederick in 2008.  I also have several pieces of copper made by her late husband that I treasure.  Larry was an outstanding craftsman.
David