Author Topic: Barrel Steel  (Read 2037 times)

Dean2

Barrel Steel
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »
I find it interesting that the thread on Douglas barrels got locked just as soon as a few dissenting opinions got posted. I actually agree with the position that better steel is called for and I found it quite interesting to see others posting that have the back ground and experience to support that view. Just because we have gotten away for years using poor steel for MLs doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I did not see any personal attacks or untoward postings so it makes me curious why a valuable thread would get locked. Is disagreement with the common position no longer allowed on this web site?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Barrel Steel
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
I also would like to know why the thread was kiboshed; did I miss some nasty posts that got deleted?  I think it was darned interesting, and additionally, it was very informative to see some people who actually have experiences in metallurgy posting information that ought to be considered valuable to anyone in the contemporary community.

Maybe you metallurgist/barrel steel guys should start a new thread detailing such information in the 'gun building' section?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Barrel Steel
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »
Dean

It was locked because it's the topic that never goes away and is never resolved.Please search for "barrel steel " using the search function and you will find numerous threads all rehashing the same old arguments and information with the same people arguing the same old information.No new information has been forthcoming.Since 99% of all barrels being made today and 99% of all barrels being currently used are 12L14 arguing about it's use as barrel steel serves no useful purpose.The ALR has no control over what barrels are made of and take NO position as to what suitable barrel steel is ,these are questions better answered by the individual barrel makers.If anyone has any "NEW" information or studies done on muzzleloadinf barrel steel they are welcome to post.All previous arguments can be found with the "search" fucntion .It's the subject that never dies...........

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:04:36 PM by tallbear »