Author Topic: So... barrel steel discussion here?  (Read 43026 times)

Offline Goo

Re: So... barrel steel discussion here?
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2017, 04:47:41 AM »
This company tests gun barrels      http://chesapeaketesting.com/services/gun-barrel-mapping/
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2017, 03:23:05 AM »
I think these fellas might be testing Guns just a tad larger than this forum covers.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2017, 04:01:30 AM »
I think these fellas might be testing Guns just a tad larger than this forum covers.

Chesapeake Testing currently offers customers scanning services utilizing the BEMIS-SC™ for small caliber weapons. The BEMIS-SC™ is intended for .22 to .50-cal. barrels.

APPLICATIONS OF THIS TECHNOLOGY INCLUDE:
  • Barrel erosion/endurance – characterize liners, barrel quality after a number of rounds have been fired to track wear and erosion.
  • Quality assurance/control – inspection of new barrels by manufacturers and end-users to characterize manufacturing quality and compare different barrels.
  • Barrel certification/re-certification – inspect fielded weapon systems, report wear and dimensional variance over time in order to better predict barrel lifetime.
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

galudwig

« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
If you look through the pictures they do have one of some type of flint pistol...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chesapeaketestingxct/albums
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:06:48 AM by galudwig »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2017, 04:20:52 AM »
If you look through the pictures they do have one of some type of flint pistol...

Unfortunately the "flintlock pistol" they picture is labeled "die cast toy".

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Joc7651

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2018, 05:58:58 AM »

Please note the pressure generated by a .54 caliber round ball in a slower twist barrel. Round balls don't produce the pressures everyone thinks when loaded correctly. This is from the Lyman manual.

Joc7651

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2018, 06:09:45 AM »
Now note the pressure of a conical from a faster rate of twist. The round ball load was fffg. The conical is ffg. Round balls have very little bearing surface in contact with the barrel compared to conicals or sabots(which are higher yet). You guys make your own opinions, but I don't have an issue with 12L14 barrels. I have had them made with both 12L14 and 4140. Neither give me pause.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
Now note the pressure of a conical from a faster rate of twist. The round ball load was fffg. The conical is ffg. Round balls have very little bearing surface in contact with the barrel compared to conicals or sabots(which are higher yet). You guys make your own opinions, but I don't have an issue with 12L14 barrels. I have had them made with both 12L14 and 4140. Neither give me pause.

yes, yes, &* yeas, but note, this book was written in the dark ages (poor quality) of US powder production as well as the inferior ballistics of that C&H powder of that day. It is interesting, though.

I did chronograph my brother's "Voluptuous Virginia" .50 with 80gr. 2F and it's 42 bl. produce a disappointing 1,450fps, which is about 40fps less to what Lyman's book got for 30" and 3F G-0.
Their 32" got about 1,550fps with 80gr. 3F if you extrapolate between 80 and 90gr. numbers.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Joc7651

« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2018, 02:48:21 AM »
Sometimes barrel length can adversely affect velocity if there isn't sufficient powder to build pressure as the ball travels the entire length of the barrel. If the charge has burned completely before the ball reaches the muzzle, the extra length actually acts as resistance and slows the ball. With that length 90 grains may be the sweet spot. You want the charge to finish burning just as the ball reaches the muzzle.

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »
I have grazed over this thread as I do many and it is very apparent that the majority of comments come from those who have little understanding of metallurgy nor economics and business.

Let us start with the fact that yield and tensile ratings for a given alloy are only benchmarks for comparison in static load states. In a state of dynamic loading listed yield and tensile strengths mean nothing as the key factor remains an extremely complex equation concerning the amount of change over a period of time and the metal's ability to accept those changes without work-hardening. The distinction of 86L20 comparing to 12L14 is a matter of placing a thumb in your ear as they are both very similar lead bearing alloys where again the yield and tensile difference mean little. Have you worked at all with mandated lead-free brass and seen how these alloys are plagued with rapid fatigue failure for the simple reason as the lead was removed for EPA reasons which are total nonsense. I find humorous the discussion of cold versus hot rolled when both can equally have induced stress and flaws detrimental to any application. Is it such a secret that all alloys are ordered according to their processing where cold or hot can be as-is, normalized, tempered or quenched? The preceding discussions are rather humorous as they prove the old saying that a little information applied wrongly is more dangerous than anything else. How much fright would reading the previous pages cause when people know that modern cartridge barrels are made with cold rolled alloy? But the difference is not how the shape is formed but the normalizing and tempering which follow the forming. I am curious to who gives pricing based on alloy when pricing difference is based mostly on post-production treatment, not the composition. I wonder how one can think a part can double or more in cost based on alloy when there is at most $8 per stick difference between 12L14, 1095 or 4150 and at 3 parts per stick makes $2.67 material cost difference per part. I am also confused over tooling costs when carbide costs maybe 50% more than HSS but produce three times as much work making for overall cost reduction.

I laugh out loud at person who say business need $1m liability insurance wondering if this person is still living in 18th century? No manufacture today can have less than $10m general liability + $25m product liability + $10 umbrella liability + incorporated to protect personal assets. Even still with all that there is the very possibility one would face government charge of criminal liability for bodily injury or destruction of property for which there is no insurance policy to purchase. So much has changed as I begin my 43'd year of machinery manufacturing and I see most people have not even the slightest understanding of the modern business environment.

Joc7651

« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
Yeah!!!  What he said.

;D ;D ;D sorry couldn't help it. Lol

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
Hi Helmut,
Thank you for your post and it does have some good information and food for thought but it would be received much better here  without the "I know better than all of you and can't believe how dumb you are" attitude.  I urge you to just present your information and facts and leave it at that. The attitude is best left hidden.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »
I did not mean anything disparaging as Mr. Boone said in the message or that anyone is dumb. Perhaps my English writing still lacks capturing my feelings. I just found the conjecture and speculation on previous pages humorous and want to inform those that what was suggested is not so in metallurgy or business. If I offend anyone, I apologize as it was not my intent.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
Hi Helmut,
Understood and thank you for your response. You have a lot of experience and valuable information to share and please keep it up.
We can all benefit from it.
dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2018, 01:58:59 AM »
I have made barrels out of 12L14 to 1018 hot rolled to wrought iron. Hope the fellow who started this post is satisfied with its results. I don,t think I would be.