Author Topic: ...Powder horn finish.....  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

...Powder horn finish.....
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
....Greetings, Boys....  Seeking advice from horn makers....just finished engraving (scrimshaw) on my powder horn....gonna give her a slight antique finish....Does anyone seal the ink on their horns...??  ....I have an old Virginia heirloom (150+ yrs old) that has a yellowish cast to the colour, and some slight crazing which might indicate a varnish type sealer, finish....?...Any thoughts...??  THANX..!!! ::) ::) ;D

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: ...Powder horn finish.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »
I've read here that shellac was sometimes used on horns. I put some on the horn I made for my son and it looks good.
Psalms 144

seesbirds

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:19 AM »
I put a coat of Renaissance Wax on my horns and that's it.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
Not sure if your talking antiquing a white horn but leaving it white (no dying).  Dying a horn, or antiquing a dyed horn. On traditional horns, I prefer to do some type of dying process and apply a slight amount of grunge. I would suggest the Scott Sibley book for the last two.  I know some originals may have been left white and acquired a patina over time.  Others appear to have been dyed.  Most new white horns or white and slightly grunged horns I see that appeal to me are contemporary or high art pieces.  Otherwise, I prefer them dyed.  But that's my personal taste.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »
Renaissance wax is great for horns and  much more. I think I used good ole fashion Johnson's paste wax on my last horn, which was also my first.
Greg

boman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 05:54:39 AM »
Johnson's paste wax

+1

Steve