Author Topic: mink oil  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

mink oil
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »
Anyone still using mink oil for patch lube?  The bear oil thread got me curious.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: mink oil
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
I use nothing but Mink oil from TOW.  It does not get stiff in cold weather, and does not get runny in warm weather. 

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
+1 on the Track mink oil. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
I use nothing but Mink oil from TOW.  It does not get stiff in cold weather, and does not get runny in warm weather.

I use it for a hunting lube, but my experience is that it will indeed get runny in warm weather.  Summer temperatures in a lot of the US, like here in Florida, will melt a tin of it.  Some of us have found that out the hard way.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
Cut patches, on a thread, then dipped in melted (Track's ) mink oil then squeezed out and kept in a tin or small plastic 'tin' in the bag is a good way of carrying these.  A properly 'finished' patched-ball, bullet- board is another way of carrying them, ready for loading.

In my .32, using mink oil and .320" balls with .020" patches - really easy loading all day and no fouling buildup in the bore at all, seriously, easy loading & no wiping.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »
Mink oil is what I use in the bush.  On the range I mostly use Hoppes.  For small game, squirrels for example, where shots might be frequent & fast or none at all, the first load is mink oil, but sometimes Hoppes takes over after the first shot.  All depends on what mood I'm in.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:07 AM »
I mix mink oil and coconut oil together to soften the coconut oil in cold weather and firm it up in warm weather.  Not sure why, but it seems to make the barrel easier to clean.
Brice Stultz

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
I mix mink oil and coconut oil together to soften the coconut oil in cold weather and firm it up in warm weather.  Not sure why, but it seems to make the barrel easier to clean.

I have found the same thing as Moleeyes, it works great in cooler weather but it gets runny down here in Florida in the summer. Where do you get your coconut oil and is there any particular ratio you have found that works best and keeps it from running?
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
Does the mink oil dry out??   

I'm looking to get away from bore butter...I like to carry loading blocks while hunting and it didn't work well for me. I tried smearing an extra helping in the void between the patch and ball block and that'd still dry or freeze and fell out of the void and the patch dried too..

Also not uncommon for me to leave a gun loaded till I shoot something if weather is good...

I was looking at bear grease/bees wax as another possibility.

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
I buy coconut oil in the baking aisle at the grocery store.  They even sell one type that doesn't set up in cooler weather.  It might work to soften the mink oil.  There is no certain ratio.  Just whatever you prefer.  I use a coffee cup warmer on metal tins and a heat gun on plastic containers then mix the two til I get what I want.  It can always be adjusted later.   I use an old plastic Bore Butter jar.  Something big enough to wipe a patch in.  An Altoids tin works, but the lid isn't real tight.  Once I use enough mink oil out of its tin I will use it for a big batch.     
Brice Stultz

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 05:11:18 AM »
yeah, I generally use "mink oil" but I seriously doubt there is any of that particular animal in it.

leadslinger62

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
  Also use TOW Mink Oil and have better accuracy if I don`t over lube the Patches. I use a Ball Board for Pa. Primitive Deer season and have shot the Patch Balls after they have been setting in them all Winter and the accuracy is still there !

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:06:53 AM »

Same here - we had our club shoot in February 2015 (I think it was 2015) had sub-zero temperatures to start and only got up to maybe 10 degrees. Mink Oil worked well that day. Any kind of liquid lube or liquid on cleaning patches froze fast. In fact, at the start of the shoot, you'd spray your cleaning patch with soapy water (bottle in the coat pocket) to wipe between shots and when you'd bring it back up, the water would all be ice and the patch frozen into the shape of the bore. The mink oil kept plugging away strong though in those conditions.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Which is why we use WWWF + a bit of oil for ALL our target shooting.

WWWF is Winter Windshield Washer Fluid and the oil we add, is simply a couple ounces of Neetsfoot Oil per quart. The oil adds a bit of lubricity  and slows the evapouration in the summer time.  $2.99 or $3.99 per 4 liter jug that will last 2 years is pretty cheap lube.  It does not freeze, no wiping necessary, loads easily and shoots cleanly. Blue Thunder brand is what I use, normally.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
So, how hard do you have to squeeze a mink to get the oil to come out? :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
[/quote

Which type M or F?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »

Pretty hard, Mike.  But you have to wear heavy leather gloves.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »

Pretty hard, Mike.  But you have to wear heavy leather gloves.  8)
Oh, so you do it while the little varmint is till alive eh? I'll bet they don't like being squeezed at all.... :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline halfstock

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
Squeeze till the pooh comes out. :P ;D

Offline Frank

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 12:51:35 AM »
This thread sure has gone downhill.

Back on topic. Love Track of the Wolf mink oil.