Author Topic: Horn preservation  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

Horn preservation
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
I have an old powder horn I made back in the late 70s  I notice that sort of  bug type critter has been knawing on it along the edges that meet the plug and at various places on the body of it. What do you do to prevent this sort of damage?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Marcruger

Re: Horn preservation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
It is my understanding that most lay eggs inside the horn, which hatch and eat their way out.  I spray the inside of my horns with Raid, Bengal or similar.  I wipe the outside lightly with it too.  Keep the stoppers in the horns.  Hope this helps. 

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:21 AM »
Thanks.  I don't think I have any actual perforations but I'm going to have to work something out to make it look less chewed.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 01:44:49 AM »
 Marc has the right idea, spray Raid or some such insecticide on a rag and wipe them down. Then throw the rag in the box or what ever you store them in. This should be done with not only Powder horns but any kind of horn product, also with Raw horns as well.

Tim C.