Author Topic: South Carolina Longrifles?  (Read 8518 times)

Offline BOB HILL

Re: South Carolina Longrifles?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
Yes, Jay that's the rifle I remember seeing. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline heinz

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
There is also a nice brass mounted SC rifle attributed to Rice in Spartansburg in the museum section here

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

I see an iron mounted, bone trimmed rifle on my workbench soon :-)
kind regards, heinz

Offline AZshot

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 01:47:34 AM »
Bone heal and toe plate signed by M C Martin.

Old post, but I'm researching the Southern rifle I bought on a trip to TN/NC, and it has a metal heel like the above one in bone.  No toe.  How common what that, to have wood on the butt, but protected with just a heel? 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:19:51 AM by AZshot »

Offline heinz

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 03:08:28 AM »
dusting off an old thread here.  Since I have relocated to the dark corner of South Carolina, I have been chasing down what information I can find on South Carolina rifles.  In Jerry noble's books, there are a number of photos of South Carolina Piedmont guns and at least a dozen references to SC gunsmiths.  Some interesting names were in South Carolina, before moving elsewhere.  These would include the Gillespies, the Reardons,  and Pleasant Wilson may have apprenticed in or near Spartansburg before locating to Clay Co. Kentucky. 

Spartansburg, and the Old 96 district, bordered the south and east of the Cherokee lands.  They would have furnished a ready market.
What I have been able to observe so far, mostly from photos are, use of bone and antler inlays was common, patchbox styles were out of the mainstream.  Spartansburg is neighboring to Mecklenburg County in North Carolina.

I do not know if anyone has access to any of the information that Mr. McIntosh collected on SC guns?
kind regards, heinz