Author Topic: tried a new load  (Read 5401 times)

clevefails

tried a new load
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
Today I tried .445 ball and .020 patch with homemade moose milk patch lube.70 grain fff geox. Pic. is three shots at 50 yards. Then hit 200 yard steel. Rifle is a TVM Southern .45 with colerian A .swamped barrel

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: tried a new load
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:36:48 PM »
Wonderful.  I've never had a 50 yard open sight group like that.
Andover, Vermont

Dave Patterson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:34:14 AM »
Wonderful.  I've never had a 50 yard open sight group like that.

Ditto.

Just offhand, I'd guess you've found a pet load?

That's a sweet rifle... and some seriously sweet shooting.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »
VERY impressive and a beauty of a rifle. I do like the .45 caliber ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Since that rifle won't shoot worth a flip, send it to me and I'll have it back to you in a couple, three years.  8)

It looks somewhat like my .45 Lancaster.  They are something else.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »
Nice!

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
Great shooting but you may need to stretch that rifle out a bit. Doesn't look to me that at 50 yards that rifle of yours isn't straining very much.  Beautiful lines on that Southern also.

clevefails

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
Thanks everyone,
I tried several loads saturday,Then when this one group so well I fired three shots in new target,for the group above,And then fired 1 shot at the 200 yard steel with a center hit,all of the bench.If my eyes can do it next weekend I will shoot for 100 yard groups.I owe this to all the reading on this site.I have been using a tight ball and patch combo,with wet moose milk patch and getting easy 30+ shoots during a session without wiping.The target above was shoots 29,30 31.Thanks for posting your experiences on the site,It helped me tremendously. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
Thanks everyone,
I tried several loads saturday,Then when this one group so well I fired three shots in new target,for the group above,And then fired 1 shot at the 200 yard steel with a center hit,all of the bench.If my eyes can do it next weekend I will shoot for 100 yard groups.I owe this to all the reading on this site.I have been using a tight ball and patch combo,with wet moose milk patch and getting easy 30+ shoots during a session without wiping.The target above was shoots 29,30 31.Thanks for posting your experiences on the site,It helped me tremendously.

Thanks for listening. It can get a bit tiresome handing out the same information over and over, but the befuddlement continues despite the valiant efforts of many good shooters here.  It's great when someone benefits from trying something "new" instead of arguing about it. 

Here's to good shootin' and even better when the wind will behave!
Hold to the Wind

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
A shooter with skills with a great rifle in his hands, perfect combination.  :)

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Please continue to post results.   Love to see great rifles and also very helpful to see results as well.  Good or bad.  Thank you.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
And please do not give in to the temptation to shoot at long distances.  I had a fine shooting rifle once; and I gave in to the temptation to try it at extended distances.  Well, I fired a few shots and the rifle's effort to go all out and reach way out there strained the barrel; that rifle never could shoot past 25 yards after that.  ::) ;D ???

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:33 AM »
  Gave up on moose milk a few years ago. Never could get that moose to cooperate. Lol   Seriously mighty fine shootin. Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
Thanks everyone,

Nice shooting and you've found a load that seems to work at all ranges.  100yards will be a  REAL test, but - you certainly have the eye and rifle for the chore.

Best wishes
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:21:05 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
And please do not give in to the temptation to shoot at long distances.  I had a fine shooting rifle once; and I gave in to the temptation to try it at extended distances.  Well, I fired a few shots and the rifle's effort to go all out and reach way out there strained the barrel; that rifle never could shoot past 25 yards after that.  ::) ;D ???

I get it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:02:35 AM by crawdad »

Smoketown

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

That bit of information makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I can't even begin to figure what the heck you are talking about.

Me thinks the same thing happened to my barrel.
(Hint - I pulled a muscle in the 100 yard dash ... I can barely do a 25 yard sprint now.)   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

nosrettap1958

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
Oh, he's making fun of my post. I get it. 

Offline little joe

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
Nice target, a keeper. What size was that 200 yd steel?

clevefails

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
thanks, not sure on size,it appears to be 12" x 24" steel

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:35 AM »
Not "making fun", crawdad; just trying to lighten things up.  When have I EVER been serious?  Oh, that!  Well there is one thing I will not and do not joke about; ant that thing is HUMOR.  I take humor very seriously.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:03:52 AM »
I'm not to quick Hanshi but should have recognized it for what it was, humor. My fault.

Offline little joe

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:24 AM »
thanks, not sure on size,it appears to be 12" x 24" steel
If you can hit it off hand  most of the time that ins,t bad.

BackWoods

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
WOW,    Great shooting.