Author Topic: Been awhile....new horn  (Read 3053 times)

gizamo

Been awhile....new horn
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
Been so busy at work this past year that there's been no time to play in my workshop. >:(

Anyrate....gotten pretty rusty.  Here is a new horn that I made for my brass barreled smoothbore.  Going to fully scrim it tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:13:26 PM by gizamo »

Online wattlebuster

Re: Been awhile....new horn
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
 Good look'n horn, Nice file work. What have you got that on, a piece of Glass? I like the look.

Tim C.

gizamo

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
Car hood ....Tim  ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
That's a very fine looking horn as is, IMO.  It'll be a beauty when scrimshawed.  By the way, how can one "reasonably" scrim a horn when he can't even draw a straight line without a ruler?  I'd like to try but but I have LOFT, unfortunately.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:38 AM »
Doesn't look to rusty. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.....Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »
Handsome horn.  Sharp lines. 

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:18:19 AM »
That's a very fine looking horn as is, IMO.  It'll be a beauty when scrimshawed.  By the way, how can one "reasonably" scrim a horn when he can't even draw a straight line without a ruler?  I'd like to try but but I have LOFT, unfortunately.

Not sure what LOFT is, but....

Not many folks CAN draw a straight line without a ruler. Fortunately, drawing stuff usually requires curved lines...

Basically, get a piece of practice horn, draw on it with a pencil until you get a picture you like, cut over the lines with a knife, and fill the lines with ink. Many/most originals are really pretty crude anyway. If you have no training in drawing you will have less to unlearn to imitate originals - I've found that I have to consciously "unlearn" what I've been taught about drawing to get anything that looks properly folksy.

Now, doing a really fine piece in the manner of John Bush or the Siege of Boston horns might be a bit more difficult. Not every original was that nice, though.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
Gizamo, i sure like that yellow, orangeish color on the body. Is that rit? Nice job!  Mikeh
Mikeh

gizamo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
Mikeh...

It's dark brown Fieblings.  When you buff it off its this color.  Same horn with the engraving under way.

Been forcing the patina as the scrim work is being done. I want about a 40 year old look to it. Finished roughing out the scrim. Need to detail it out.

I did it all freehand, with a sail needle. I want this to look like a early original....so the usual layout and such was not on the plan. No Coulter tool this time.

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
Gizamo, thank you kindly for your reply. Horn is looking great. Don't think you are too rusty.  Mikeh
Mikeh