Author Topic: Gary Birch Bag and Horn  (Read 5245 times)

Offline art riser

Gary Birch Bag and Horn
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
There's a very nice bag and horn set posted on the Contemporary Makers site this morning.  http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Gary Birch Bag and Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
Thank you for the heads up, Art.  Very nice set indeed.  I am also glad you put Jerry Huddleston's Chief's rifle up a few days ago.  I have held that rifle and it is a delight to the eye and hand alike.  Thanks for the work you do in posting the pictures on your site.  It is inspirational to see the craftsmanship out there.  I would encourage the makers to supply you with, at least, a few words to go with the pictures.  The write ups are very helpful to those of us aspiring to emulate such excellent work.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:53:06 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Gary Birch Bag and Horn
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
It is a great to see Gary's work documented and available for public viewing - most of it is tucked away in treasured collections.  Thanks for posting those photos Art.

There are many talented artists working out there today, but I don't think many people today realize that Gary started working in a time when interest in was just starting to explode in the early 70s and was one of the first to do really folky, aged looking horns, bags, paintings and prints that had the feel of old original museum pieces and stand on their own as folk art.  There wasn't nearly as much available in the way of books  on the subject matter - he did his own research and studied originals, as well as original techniques, much like Eric Kettenburg does with his guns today.

He used to share a booth with Jud Brennan at Friendship.  That's a lot of talent in one place...When I was a kid I remember Gary rolling over from the campground after just waking up to open his booth and a crowd of people already waiting to pick up things he had made, and also snatch up any "spec" things he had made up  to bring along.  He was usually sold out in about 20 minutes.

Great to see his art.  That is a fantastic horn.  That little carved face with the hollow spooky eyes is one of his trademarks.

Guy