Author Topic: Turkey Hunting Loads  (Read 9788 times)

Offline PPatch

Re: Turkey Hunting Loads
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »
  Maybe the fifty yard thing is important. But if it was me I'd practice my turkey calling. Never shot a turkey yet past twenty yards. An that is a rarity. If your interested p.m. me an I'll tell yeah. It will give yeah a good laugh but it works.  Oldtravler

There you go. I can't recall a shot past 30 yds when I hunted turkey, Georgia, Tennessee and Missouri. Be in the woods and all set before first light, call'm off the roost, when a gobbler answers, shut up and wait. In about 10 minutes you'll have your bird.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Joe S

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:48 AM »
Wattlebuster

No, did not have to trail it.  The whole thing just tipped over.  Real slow. 

Shooting a hole in a chronograph is very funny.  In this particular case, it was especially funny because it wasn't mine.  I did not actually acquire ownership of this fine instrument until after I ventilated it.  Got it for free too.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Thanks for all of the input as it has proven useful. For those who can who can call a turkey consistently in to 20 yards, or call one time and the gobbler comes right in within 10 minutes, I recommend you keep your hunting locations secret. The gobblers I hunt rarely gobble, do not come in to calls so readily, are extremely wary and call shy and are just simply very difficult to call in.

Last year I harvested one gobbler. Worked on calling him in for over 2 1/2 hours. Had a hen decoy out in plain sight and the turkey would work his way in about 10 feet every half hour. After 2 hours my back, shoulders and rear end were screaming in pain by the time the turkey got to within 50 yards. I finally shot him at 50 yards with a load of #4's from a modern double barrel 12 gauge. It was either do that or get up and go home to relieve the pain. I could not bear the pain any longer.

Old travler61 I will PM you.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
Oldtravler61, I tried to PM you but would not go thru. No email address listed in profile.

Joe S

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
gumboman

Go to a backpacking store, and buy a roll up chair like this https://www.rei.com/product/812634/crazy-creek-the-original-chair.  You can get the same thing cheaper other places if you look for a "stadium chair."

Getting one of these chairs is best thing I've done for my turkey hunting in years.  Due to old age and injuries, I have a very hard time sitting for more than 10 or 15 minutes without back support, but with one of these chairs I can sit still for hours comfortably.  They are historically correct, and in fact seem to have been invented by Daniel Boone specifically for turkey hunting.  This year, I'm going to take my shooting sticks with me into the turkey woods.  I think that will be an improvement as well.

Turkeys vary, as do hunting situations.  I hunt turkeys in the west, usually in Ponderosa Pine forest.  These forests can be very open, and many times I have had to call turkeys with my back up against a big pine, with nothing in front to hide me.  I have called turkeys within a few feet of me doing this, but much more commonly they will hang up at 50 or 75 yards.  They may not understand exactly what you are, but they get suspicious, and refuse to come in.  I think most of my turkeys have been shot between 25 and 35 yards.  The furthest I’ve ever shot one was right at 40 yards.  I’ve never bothered to put together an outfit that was capable of killing turkeys at 50 yards, but I have friends who do kill birds at that range.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:11:36 PM by Jose Gordo »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
That target might show range, but not velocity. I still doubt a muzzleloader will consistently make ethical kills at that range.

Hungry Horse
With 130gr of powder and that light 1 1/2 payload of shot it will swat a turkey flat at 50 yards.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
Best way to get turkey I found is wait till the wild hens come up out of the woods and fly into my turkey pen to mate with my domestic  Toms. ;)
 Unfortunately I had to get rid of my turks so  hunting may be a little tougher in the future. :'(
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »
If you don't have a soup can, I'd be happy to loan you my chronograph.

.54 caliber, in case you're wondering how big the hole is...

Good shooting, Gordo.  ::)

What few turkeys I've been able to call were well under 30 yards; basically due to the thick brush.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
If you don't have a soup can, I'd be happy to loan you my chronograph.

.54 caliber, in case you're wondering how big the hole is...

Good shooting, Gordo.  ::)

What few turkeys I've been able to call were well under 30 yards; basically due to the thick brush.

Good shot, just a tich high and to the right.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:35:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
Jose Gordo, thanks for the tip on the chair. I will look into it.

Joe S

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
Thanks guys.  Elevation is about where I want it, just need to tap on the front sight a little bit....

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »
I've done the same, but it was the wad that was the culprit !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
That chronograph pic reminds me of an incident at our range, with a member that shoots long range matches. He was shooting over his chronograph one afternoon and just as he squeezed off his shot a horsefly put the bite on him in the gap between his tee shirt, and his low riding jeans. That .451 bullet spread chronograph parts about thirty yards. I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants. This guy has always been the first to criticize others on every aspect of target shooting. He has had a few relapses in that department since, but someone always remind him of why he has a brand new chronograph, and he clams right up.

Hungry Horse

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
HH here in hotabama we call that eating crow. All us rednecks have to do it every once in a while as we like to crow about various things. It never tastes very good an we dont seem to learn to keep our mouths shut so we just chew an chew till we get it all down an then start all over again. My last crow sandwich if i remember right was when Clemson put a whoopin on Alabama. It was a huge sandwich but I finally got it all down :'(
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
  Funnyman Browning makes a great turkey hunting chair for around forty bucks.   Here in Michigan the Turkey's are pretty paternable. Just like scouting for deer in the early season before the rut.  We have a lot of orchards here an in May they really like eating the dandelions. An yes we've opened up quite a few. If you know what the game eats at certain times of the year. It narrows the area down quite a bit.  Good luck.  Mike

Online WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 05:12:54 AM »
I've done the same, but it was the wad that was the culprit !
[/quote

here is my anit-wad anti patch shield

check out the patch caught on one of the rods

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:20:35 AM by WaterFowl »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »
Mike,
The only size shot I had was #6.  Some #4, or 5 should make for some strong turkey medicine.
Recoil is a bit stout, but I bet it hurts the turkey more than me!
In His grip,

Dane