Author Topic: Canoe Gun  (Read 24157 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Canoe Gun
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 12:02:35 AM »
Here are 2 photos, out of about 60 that I took, of a Haida Tradegun with a 16 1/2" long barrel.  This shortened gun resides in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia campus in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.   I had called ahead and asked the curator if they could pull it out of the display for me.  We set a date and when I arrived the gun was waiting in the observation room for me to photograph and study.
David

Joe S

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 02:23:28 AM »
There were probably more short barreled guns back in the day than guns with vent liners, aniline dye stains or polyurethane finishes.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 02:40:03 AM »
There were probably more short barreled guns back in the day than guns with vent liners, aniline dye stains or polyurethane finishes.
Proof? ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Joe S

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:23 AM »
Proof? ;)

Around 90 works best for me. If it's higher than that, my eyes water. Any lower than that, and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2018, 04:20:45 AM »
Proof? ;)

Around 90 works best for me. If it's higher than that, my eyes water. Any lower than that, and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Exactly, and 80 sips real smoof.   Hey is it Winter yet?    :P
Hold to the Wind

J.E. Moore

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2018, 04:41:32 AM »
Winter harvest rye

Online Old Ford2

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2018, 05:09:53 AM »
Here are 2 photos, out of about 60 that I took, of a Haida Tradegun with a 16 1/2" long barrel.  This shortened gun resides in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia campus in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.   I had called ahead and asked the curator if they could pull it out of the display for me.  We set a date and when I arrived the gun was waiting in the observation room for me to photograph and study.
David

Mr. Rase
These guns were made for a group of short ( pigmy ) Canadian aboriginals ( long distinct ) and only a few have survived.
This post is from another short Canadian.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline alacran

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
I can understand Mike Brooks's frustration with this subject. I feel the same about flintlock Hawkens.
By definition any gun I put in a canoe is a canoe gun., regardless of length.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
I kinda favor the long extinct Canadian pygmies.  They probably had smaller canoes as well.  And I have heard that they were very short-sighted.

I agree with Alacran about canoe rifles.  Don't really make good canoe paddles though.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »
Plus there is no way of knowing when these guns were shortened. It could have happened long after cartridge guns were common, and a full length flintlock wasn’t practical for hunting, or fighting.

Hungry Horse

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
Not caring if it is HC or not, I built a 20 ga flint lock half stock with a 36" barrel, Even put a cannon muzzle on the barrel. Handles well, shoots better than I can, especially at clay birds,  and is light enough to carry all day. Meets all the criteria I wanted.
Mark
Mark

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
The attack at Fort Detroit an Fort Michilamackenac was in the 1700s. Just a tad bit before the cartridge gun era.  IIRC.   Oldtravler

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2018, 07:18:58 PM »
Mr. Rase, do you have any better pictures of the carving on that shortie?  Looks like someone with some serious totem pole carving skills had his way with it...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
Mr. Rase, do you have any better pictures of the carving on that shortie?  Looks like someone with some serious totem pole carving skills had his way with it...

Greg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
TKs David - amazing carving & typically Haida.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2018, 09:15:39 PM »
OK Rase, when you gonna repop that little gun?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rollingb

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »
Looking at the carvings on the stock, I can definitely make out what appear to be 2 or 3 crudely shaped canoes.   :o  ;D  :P
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 11:43:01 PM »
Thanks for the extra photos...for you guys up in the PNW, is that a fairly usual native gunstock treatment, or is this one an anomaly?  It certainly looks well executed from here!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2018, 04:49:04 AM »
  After much totem pole writing study. The markings say. Canoe gun patent 1760 by Old Chief low in water....!  Sorry Mike couldn't resist...!!!   Oldtravler

Offline David Rase

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2018, 07:06:02 AM »
Way ahead of you Mike.

Offline redheart

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »

Canoe guns have no historical context. There were no guns purpose built for using whilst  paddling a canoe.

I hate to agree with Mike, but here goes, ;)

Any NW gun shorter than 30" only existed because someone screwed up and blew the front end off of it!
I know these little shorties look kind of cool, but please don't shorten a useful piece for that purpose.
If you care to be historically or even hysterically correct short start your ball, this will blow off the front end of your barrel, then square it up with a hacksaw and file. That's how it was done in the old days. I have seen several guns turned unintentionally into "canoe guns". ;)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:00:45 PM by redheart »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
Way ahead of you Mike.

I'm not surprised. Now for the part I'm most interested in. THE CARVING!. I'm pretty fascinated by that gun. I have seen a few of these in the past but they were of standard length, but carved in the same way which I find very cool. You'll probably have to spend some time in a sweat lodge before you get enough NA mojo going on to execute that carving correctly. I'm sure all that carving has a very specific meaning.....if you don't get it right you might insult the size of the Chief's feet  and be banished from the West coast  for ever.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:07:10 PM by Mike Brooks »

War Eagle

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
I believe many of these short guns came about after barrels ruptured, or were dented and made unusable. I know there are records indicating some guns were shortened for concealment during the Indian wars. But, I think they were in the minority.
 I also should point out that the shorter a muzzleloader gets, the easier it is to put yourself in danger loading them.
  Hungry Horse
I have a rusty old Harpers Ferry Model 1842 U.S. Percussion Musket "barn find" here in Alabama that has been abused and crudely cut down in almost every way possible (barrel and stock).  The barrel needs cut down again because it looks like some former owner decided to bounce the muzzle on a hard surface to try to shake loose the charge that is still encrusted inside such that the muzzle edge is now dinged every which-way.  (It's in secure storage until I decide how best to remove the old charge when all metal parts are rusted solid.)   "If this old gun could talk...."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:31:00 PM by War Eagle »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
  Since we are having fun with this. Here's a question ? We all know that their were European coach guns with short barrels. Could some of them been brought over here ? Could there have been barrels sent here an built here ?
  The barrel I opened was checked by several people in the know. Had correct proof marks. It was Not according to them cut off. The barrel measured 24 3/4 in length.  Really curios as to anyone's thoughts ?  Oldtravler

War Eagle

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »
Mr. Rase, do you have any better pictures of the carving on that shortie?  Looks like someone with some serious totem pole carving skills had his way with it...  Greg

Hold it muzzle down and look at the buttstock bottom edge, and it's pretty clear (at least to me) there is carved an eye, mouth (with teeth) and big ear.  Probably a mirror image carved on the opposite side, to make a complete face when looking at it edge-on.  Very intriguing.  Someone with way more artistic talent than me had a lot of time on their hands....