Author Topic: Cowans Auction  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Cowans Auction
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
I had my first experience attending a Cowan's Auction on Tuesday.  There were several longrifles there.  It was a learning experience. 
I was astonished by the prices fetched for Bowie knives and carved civil war pipes.  As for longrifles, I don't know how folks can bid on
them without having them in hand.  They almost all went for well above their estimates and I think the vast majority were purchased by
phone and internet bidders.  I will say that Cowans is a Very professional operation.  I wonder how often the descriptions in a catalog
become a challenge point for buyers.  How can you adequately describe all the condition details of an antique rifle?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline 490roundball

Re: Cowans Auction
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
if i can't see it in person.  i ask a lot of questions and ask for specific pictures

the auction houses I have dealt with have always been very good about supplying information
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
Cowans, Julia, Rock Island, Morphy seem very responsive to requests for additional info, but the small auctioneers much less so in my experience.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
Huge issues with the Defibaugh rifle that were not listed in the condition report. My understanding is that the bidding included 8 different phone bidders. I could have purchased the rifle from Flayderman's 2 years ago for less than the hammer price and passed. I'm pretty sure that the rifle will end up back in Bedford.

Online wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:06:36 AM »
I think it's tough without seeing rifles to be absolutely sure. I think if you are well versed in the characteristics of a particular maker or area, you can discern from pictures if the rifle is one you would bid on. I personally only try to acquire a rifle by seeing it first hand because I don't feel comfortable or experienced enough to bid online. I know there are honest representations and descriptions from reputable auction companies but if I were to bid on one I would lean on someone with more expertise to help me make sure. 
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:53 AM »
Huge issues with the Defibaugh rifle that were not listed in the condition report. My understanding is that the bidding included 8 different phone bidders. I could have purchased the rifle from Flayderman's 2 years ago for less than the hammer price and passed. I'm pretty sure that the rifle will end up back in Bedford.

In August 2016 Flayderman had the Defibaugh rifle for listed as "on sale" on his website for $15,000. The hammer price plus BP was $11,400.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:44:38 AM by Mark Tyler »

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:47 AM »
In my limited experience, I found the folks at Rock Island to be extremely helpful and open.  When I asked for high-resolution close-up photos of any number of details on a rifle I recently purchased (and asked for opinions on this site a couple months back), RIA send along as much as I asked for and then some.  They were very responsive and in the end I won the bidding and added a really neat piece to my small but growing collection.   :)

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:18:53 AM »
Flayderman's asking price was 12,500 when I saw the rifle.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:43:23 AM »
Flayderman's price on the Altland rifle was $24,500. It sold for $11,400 at the auction.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:38 PM »
Flayderman's price on the Altland rifle was $24,500. It sold for $11,400 at the auction.
   Out of all the longrifles at Cowan's, the Altland was in the best condition followed by the Beyer, then the, Defibaugh,
the Ash stocked rifle and the Earnest, IMHO.  It was not an Ernst.  I really liked the Ash stocked rifle, but had no idea
who made it.  Stretch and replaced forestock and possible patchbox lid replacement on the attrib Sell.   As far as being
untouched, the Earnest seemed all original other than the period conversion.  The finish was pretty rough on it, but what
a beautiful rifle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:04:58 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline snapper

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 04:01:38 AM »
I have bought around 20 guns from Rock Island, all of them ML.  I find that their evaluation on their guns are very liberal and I discount their description quite a bit.  They do a terrible job in my opinion, and I have on more than one occasion told them my opinion.

They had a high end english sporting rifle I was interested in that I could see from the pictures that appeared to have a broken wrist.  I called them on the phone and sure enough it was broken, they failed to describe it.  As the result of my call them, they did list it with the repaired wrist.  The rifle still brought 8K, would of been much more without the break I think.  This is just one of many examples I could provide

I scored my Frank Bartlett rifle from Rock Island and I did do well with that rifle from them.  I will continue to bid on guns from RI, but I am very careful. 

I have stopped in to look at guns on occasion on my way by, and have been very glad I did.  After handling them I did not bid on them.

I have only bought one rifle from Cowans, and that was my Rigby.  They were very accurate in their description and representation of the rifle.  Small sample size for sure, but I was a happy customer.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill