Author Topic: Contemporary Gun Show (Lapeer MI.  (Read 9642 times)

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
Contemporary Gun Show (Lapeer MI.
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
The Lapeer "59th" Annual Contemporary Gun Show will be held March 4th
This show is sponsored by The Lapeer Firelocks Muzzleloading Club.
Contact Dave Cook @ dycook35@gmail .com for more information.
This is a great show!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:16:14 PM by delivered »
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Contemporary Gun Show (Lapeer MI.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:34:31 AM »
  Yes it is an I hope to be there. The Kalamazoo Living History Show is around March 19 . Also a great show if you don't mind a few thousand people.   Oldtravler

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Delivered,

Does "Contemporary Gun Show" mean contemporary made muzzleloaders?  Or does it mean AR15's and SKS's?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
Ky-Flinter, yes it does. Or it did the last time I was there. They had a little of everything.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
  Ron pre 1898 only. Nothing modern is aloud in. Well that's the way normally. It is a nice show that keeps getting bigger every year.  Mike

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Thanks Mike.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
The show at the armory in Lapeer? I guess it's been a while since I've been there, maybe since the 80's? Sorry...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
  Yes it is an I hope to be there. The Kalamazoo Living History Show is around March 19 . Also a great show if you don't mind a few thousand people.   Oldtravler

I drove all the way up there in 2000. Got caught in an ice storm on the west side of lake Michigan, VERY dicey. Finally got there and discovered I had more guns in the back of my truck than were in the whole show. If you wanted to buy a bunch of clothes to play dress up that would be the show to go to......So, I spent about 10 minutes at the show and went to the air museum for the rest of the day and it  was OUTSTANDING!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

I drove all the way up there in 2000. Got caught in an ice storm on the west side of lake Michigan, VERY dicey. Finally got there and discovered I had more guns in the back of my truck than were in the whole show. If you wanted to buy a bunch of clothes to play dress up that would be the show to go to......So, I spent about 10 minutes at the show and went to the air museum for the rest of the day and it  was OUTSTANDING!

Playing dress up. About 54 years ago at an OGCA meeting in Columbus,Ohio there was some Bonehead that
used to dress in the uniform of a Waffen SS officer and strut around like he was really important.
I was talking to Wes Kindig at his display when one of the officials of that organization stopped and told Wes he
couldn't display an article of clothing that was looking at. Wes let him know in no uncertain terms that HE objected to the looney
tune wandering around in that Nazi regalia and when that stopped the he might consider the request not to display clothing.
I the spoke up and objected to all the relics of the Third Reich,flags,standards,old newspapers like Der Sturmer and Voelkischer
Beobachter for sale. I saw a BIG man ask the paper seller about these papers and he was told Der Sturmer was an anti Jewish
publication that had some "good"articles. The big man who I won't name told that bozo "I am a Jew" and you have a problem
looking at you and it's me. Nothing happened but it was incidents like these that caused me to drop out of the OGCA and to
quit gun shows altogether. Too much ammo,Camo.AK's and relics of crapped out political systems for this old geezer.
Lest I forget,I bought the buckskin jacket Wes had displayed and our son,Eric still has it.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »

Playing dress up. About 54 years ago at an OGCA meeting in Columbus,Ohio there was some Bonehead that
used to dress in the uniform of a Waffen SS officer and strut around like he was really important.
I was talking to Wes Kindig at his display when one of the officials of that organization stopped and told Wes he
couldn't display an article of clothing that was looking at. Wes let him know in no uncertain terms that HE objected to the looney
tune wandering around in that Nazi regalia and when that stopped the he might consider the request not to display clothing.
I the spoke up and objected to all the relics of the Third Reich,flags,standards,old newspapers like Der Sturmer and Voelkischer
Beobachter for sale. I saw a BIG man ask the paper seller about these papers and he was told Der Sturmer was an anti Jewish
publication that had some "good"articles. The big man who I won't name told that bozo "I am a Jew" and you have a problem
looking at you and it's me. Nothing happened but it was incidents like these that caused me to drop out of the OGCA and to
quit gun shows altogether. Too much ammo,Camo.AK's and relics of crapped out political systems for this old geezer.
Lest I forget,I bought the buckskin jacket Wes had displayed and our son,Eric still has it.

Bob Roller
I used to do the old timey clothes thing, but only because it was required to do so to do most of the shooting I wanted to do. Since old age has caught up with me none of my old timey clothes fit anymore. ::) I was/am always more interested in the guns than anything else, although the history of the time period has always fascinated me as well. To each their own....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Treebeard

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 07:06:52 PM »
Living in Kansas shows for antique arms are rare. I envy those of you who can go to Dixon's , Lewisburg or many others. I am hoping to make one or two this year--- you would think being retired would give you plenty of time but I keep running short!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
  First off I would like to clarify what the show is. It is about living the history for reinactors of the 17 an 18 hundreds. From the F.I. War's to the Civil War's. There are a lot of craft people there selling,there goods. As for muzzeloadering suppliers. Pecatonica, an other's attend along with The Log Cabin shop. IT is not a GUN show. But you can find Contemporary guns an antique firearms for sale also. They are usually at a very fair price. It's a good time with several thousand people attending over the weekend. But why some bad mouth some show they have not attended or been to in twenty some year's who knows. I will go again as usual an see old friends an buy a gun or two.  Mike S

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 01:20:20 AM »
  First off I would like to clarify what the show is. It is about living the history for reinactors of the 17 an 18 hundreds. From the F.I. War's to the Civil War's. There are a lot of craft people there selling,there goods. As for muzzeloadering suppliers. Pecatonica, an other's attend along with The Log Cabin shop. IT is not a GUN show. But you can find Contemporary guns an antique firearms for sale also. They are usually at a very fair price. It's a good time with several thousand people attending over the weekend. But why some bad mouth some show they have not attended or been to in twenty some year's who knows. I will go again as usual an see old friends an buy a gun or two.  Mike S
I was told it WAS a gun show and when I drove 6 hours and discovered it wasn't I was a little more than disappointed. Obviously it still isn't a gunshow which is fine but the flyers ought to sate just what the show is, an18th century trade fair, which is great if that's what you're looking for.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »
I plan to wear my "old timey" clothes to Kalamazoo again this year and I'll be looking for more of the same! Don't knock the colonial social culture groups who show up in their finest, as it is good to see all the young and old folks involved in muzzleloading. My hope is eventually they will progress to a good custom contemporary rifle or fowler.
There are a good number of fine gun builders set up to show off there wares, and guys selling old used & new factory MLs too. No inlines, thank you!
You can buy all the clothing and acoutrements you want for primitive or high society living...or the raw materials to craft your own!
I have no connection to the show and they didn't pay me to give them a plug, but I have been to the show yearly since 1978(?).
I would suggest the same for the Lapeer Show but on a smaller scale.
Always good to see old friends and talk to some of the well known dealers and craftsmen and women.
Tom C.

Treebeard

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
It would be interesting if someone who was there would post pictures of the firearms for sale.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
  Tom thank you for your input. I am also not affiliated with the show in any way. It's just a great show that I attend every year.  Treebeard if your close to Michigan I would try to make it. Never know what someone will bring to sell that doesn't have a table there.  Oldtravler

Smoketown

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
There ARE pictures/videos of the 18th Century Artisans Show in Lewisburg, PA ...

Hint, hint!   :D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
I should probably apologize, I didn't mean to disparage all the folks that do the living history thing, I used to do a fair bit myself. I just dislike a long drive and not seeing more guns than I have with me in the back of my truck. To lots of folks the guns aren't the main focus and that's fine. And I must say there are some incredible craftsmen and women that are producing some very nice 18th century accoutrements, so good these days I can't tell if their stuff is old or brand new....very talented folks.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:02:56 AM »
I have one of these displayed on my wall and would like to get a old hunting bag and scrimshawed horn to display right next to it. Would this be a good show to attend for that?

http://www.nativeamericanvault.com/44-bow-quiver-with-shell-sash/

Love to have a Jud Brennan rifle next to it but that might take awhile.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/muzzleloading-rifles-modern-replica-flint/judson-brennan-kentucky-rifle.cfm?gun_id=100432664

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:23 AM »
   More than likely you would find what you want.  There is a fellow who has self bows an skinhead arrows for sale. Just remember it can be elbow to elbow when looking. Will be there Saturday....Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »
What in the $#*! is a skin head arrow? Something to do with neo Nazis?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
Faux pax? maybe he means flint head!?
Lots of incredible bag and hornmakers there!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:23:08 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I was told that the Lapeer show will be held on SUNDAY March 5th.

It has always been a Sunday show and I am wondering if there has been a change made this year??
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
LAPEER — The 59 annual Lapeer Firelocks’ Contemporary Muzzleloading Arms & Accoutrements Show will be held Sunday, March 5, 2017 at the American Legion Post at 1701 W. Genesee Street.
The show will be open between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults. Children 12 and under who are accompanied by an adult are free. Public Welcome.
About 50 exhibitors will be selling or displaying original or reproduction muzzeloading or blackpowder firearms common to the 19th century or earlier. They will also be selling accessories, such as clothing, powder horns, muzzleloading and camping supplies.
The show is sponsored by the Lapeer Firelocks muzzleloading club, which has about 35 members who shoot flintlock and percussion guns in target competitions.
Joel Hall

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
  Ok I meant flint head arrows. Didn't catch it before I hit post. Hate it when it injects word's I don't mean. Sorry gang.....
Oldtravler